Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bricktown Strategic Plan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bricktown3 Bricktown Strategic Plan

Here is a Jpeg of the handout given to council today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bricktown Strategic Plan A.jpg 
Views:	725 
Size:	579.9 KB 
ID:	1016

I would strongly recommend watching the video presentation by AJ Kirkpatrick and Russell Claus. The video of that segment of council ought to be retrieved and imbedded if someone knows how to do it. Lot's of dialogue and content.
    Last edited by Pete; 03-19-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Default Re: Bricktown Strategic Plan

Interesting dialogue with Greenwell and Russell Claus with regard to the Bricktown Urban Design Commission and recent issue with the parking design. Lots of discussion between Shadid and AJ regarding the new streetcar system and Intermodal hub planned for Bricktown as well.

3. Default Re: Bricktown Strategic Plan

For what it's worth, I was completely bewildered by Russell Claus' claim that the Chris Johnson story wasn't reported right by "local media." There are only two of us covering it - myself and Brianna Bailey - and we've both delved into the very issues Claus claimed wasn't represented in local coverage. Have Bailey or I left any doubt that the committee does not agree with the idea of creating parking lots along the canal?

Steve, I thought it was weird too. It sounded more like politics as usual. "Blame somebody else when things get gritty."

Anyways, glad you are covering the Strategic Plan and grand developments that will help Bricktown maintain its relevance in downtown renaissance. And Chad, it is great to see a book store emerge in the marketplace and Guestroom find another outlet!

OKC CENTRAL BLOGGING

http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/20...room-part-one/

http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/20...room-part-two/

NEWSOK ARTICLE

Study suggests more emphasis on retail, housing for Bricktown to prosper
    The slow emergence of retail along the Bricktown Canal in Oklahoma City is seen as one of the key steps toward the area not being reduced to a restaurant and bar district, according to a study released Tuesday.

BY STEVE LACKMEYER slackmeyer@opubco.com Comment on this article 1
    Published: October 19, 2011

The latest retail offerings popping up in Bricktown likely will not be seen as a threat to Penn Square Mall or other popular shopping areas around town.

After all, the addition of an outlet of Edmond's Signature Books in the Bricktown Marketplace along the Bricktown Canal only occupies a few hundred square feet. And when Guestroom Records opens

Read more: http://newsok.com/study-suggests-mor...#ixzz1bCGSwPlj

Read the Bricktown Report

Summary Recommendations for Bricktown by NEWSOK

The Bricktown Strategic Plan lists several actions that can be taken by property owners and merchants, including moving the Bricktown Association into a more visible location, collective marketing and working together on a master plan. The plan also suggests several actions that can be pursued by the city:

Add curbside parking, especially along Reno Avenue between the Bricktown “core” and Lower Bricktown.

Create a pedestrian pathway from Deep Deuce to Bricktown through the Main Street surface parking lots.

Reconnect Oklahoma Avenue from NE 2 in Deep Deuce to Main Street.

Add sidewalks and lighting along Russell M. Perry Avenue between Deep Deuce and Bricktown.

Encourage mixed-use development with parking.

Consider eliminating automatic alcohol and beverage zoning in east Bricktown.

Strengthen parking lot design standards, require existing lots to upgrade to any new standards.

Examine existing rules prohibiting dog walking along the canal, limitations on street vendors.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post

Read the Bricktown Report

Summary Recommendations for Bricktown by NEWSOK

The Bricktown Strategic Plan lists several actions that can be taken by property owners and merchants, including:

Create a pedestrian pathway from Deep Deuce to Bricktown through the Main Street surface parking lots.

Reconnect Oklahoma Avenue from NE 2 in Deep Deuce to Main Street.

Add sidewalks and lighting along Russell M. Perry Avenue between Deep Deuce and Bricktown.
    When the strategic plan mentions reconnecting Oklahoma Avenue, are they talking about doing so for pedestrians or cars? As I was walking my dog today, I was thinking about what we want for Deep Deuce. We have three through streets into Bricktown: Broadway, Walnut and Russell M. Perry. Why would we want a fourth? If we're trying to make the area more pedestrian friendly, why would we make it more automobile friendly? Why would we spend the money to create a big bridge over the railroad when there's one at Walnut? Oklahoma is a quiet street, which makes it great for walkers. It's now got dedicated bike lanes as well. Do we really want people using it as a shortcut to Bricktown, when there is already plenty of access? So, I'm hoping I'm misreading this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    For what it's worth, I was completely bewildered by Russell Claus' claim that the Chris Johnson story wasn't reported right by "local media." There are only two of us covering it - myself and Brianna Bailey - and we've both delved into the very issues Claus claimed wasn't represented in local coverage. Have Bailey or I left any doubt that the committee does not agree with the idea of creating parking lots along the canal?
    Well, I think we have been pretty adamant in reinforcing a bad rap if BUD approved this thing. We've been pretty hostile almost, even. However I don't think that's in play just because we all know that application is going to be denied more than likely. However, in case it is approved, our angst is there, and obviously we are standing ready to...write lots of mean things on the Internet.

Maybe from his perspective he just sees the chain of events as BUD meets > Lackmeyer story > mean things on Internet about BUD.

However in our defense, BUD still doesn't have a great reputation and hasn't established a strong precedent EITHER way. So it's very much in limbo at the moment, and someone could probably make either argument.

There's a prohibition on dog walking along the canal? I didn't know about that. We regularly walk our dogs along the canal. We're very careful to clean up after them, if needbe, so perhaps a prohibition on not picking up after your dog would be more pedestrian friendly.

I'm all for encouraging mixed use development, but how do we encourage that? We've all been saying we'd like it and I don't see that having any effect. Is there some sort of stimulus the city could create for Bricktown to encourage development?

I'm not sure I'm that excited about reconnecting Oklahoma. With the creation of LEVEL and the Aloft hotel, street parking for people who want to park in Deep Deuce and walk into Bricktown will be severely limited. It would remove the nicer of our two pocket parks and increase through traffic. I'm pretty happy with the Walnut Bridge and Broadway being the access options. But, I would like a set of steps going down what we call the "cliff route" into Bricktown, which is behind the pocket park where Oklahoma would connect. Most of us who live in my part of Deep Deuce use that to get into Bricktown, and when it rains or there's not much vegetation on the hill, it can be a little tricky to descend.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    There's a prohibition on dog walking along the canal? I didn't know about that. We regularly walk our dogs along the canal. We're very careful to clean up after them, if needbe, so perhaps a prohibition on not picking up after your dog would be more pedestrian friendly.

I'm all for encouraging mixed use development, but how do we encourage that? We've all been saying we'd like it and I don't see that having any effect. Is there some sort of stimulus the city could create for Bricktown to encourage development?

I'm not sure I'm that excited about reconnecting Oklahoma. With the creation of LEVEL and the Aloft hotel, street parking for people who want to park in Deep Deuce and walk into Bricktown will be severely limited. It would remove the nicer of our two pocket parks and increase through traffic. I'm pretty happy with the Walnut Bridge and Broadway being the access options. But, I would like a set of steps going down what we call the "cliff route" into Bricktown, which is behind the pocket park where Oklahoma would connect. Most of us who live in my part of Deep Deuce use that to get into Bricktown, and when it rains or there's not much vegetation on the hill, it can be a little tricky to descend.
    It would be nice if they had the residents of the two there at the meeting.

Also, zoning would be a way to require mixed use.

Quote Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
    Also, zoning would be a way to require mixed use.
    Zoning doesn't generate mixed-use. A lack of zoning controls generates mixed-use. Land use is over-regulated. The first thing they should do is eliminate all parking requirements associated with new development. Reconnecting Oklahoma back up would also be a big step in the right direction because it will eventually connect back to the new boulevard when I-40 is relocated. Reno and Sheridan should be reduced to two lanes and diagonal parking installed. Reno should also have a grass median installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Zoning doesn't generate mixed-use. A lack of zoning controls generates mixed-use. Land use is over-regulated. The first thing they should do is eliminate all parking requirements associated with new development. Reconnecting Oklahoma back up would also be a big step in the right direction because it will eventually connect back to the new boulevard when I-40 is relocated. Reno and Sheridan should be reduced to two lanes and diagonal parking installed. Reno should also have a grass median installed.
    Zoning can generate mixed use. I am not sure if zoning is the solution for Bricktown, but a change in zoning needed for all of OKC. The zoning in OKC kills mixed use and promotes automobiles.

Reconnecting Oklahoma back up would also be a big step in the right direction because it will eventually connect back to the new boulevard when I-40 is relocated.
    We assume that is still the case. It would definitely make sense to have Oklahoma as the first at-grade intersection on the boulevard from the east. Connecting Bricktown to Deep Deuce all the way to NE 10 is important IMO as that is the main spine of new development on the east side of downtown.

12. Default Re: Bricktown Strategic Plan

Here is the AJ Kirkpatrick video clip from yesterday's council meeting. YouTube arbitrarily selected David Greenwell's image as the starting image, but that should change since I've selected manually AJ's image instead ... that small matter should be rectified later today.

Actually, there were some other interesting matters at yesterday's council meeting, as well, and these items will be covered in a separate omnibus thread covering the 10/18/2011 council meeting as soon as all videos have been uploaded to YouTube.

ON EDIT: See the other videos from the 10/18/2011 council meeting at http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=27555.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    Here is the AJ Kirkpatrick video clip from yesterday's council meeting. YouTube arbitrarily selected David Greenwell's image as the starting image, but that should change since I've selected manually AJ's image instead ... that small matter should be rectified later today.

Actually, there were some other interesting matters at yesterday's council meeting, as well, and these items will be covered in a separate omnibus thread covering the 10/18/2011 council meeting as soon as all videos have been uploaded to YouTube.

ON EDIT: See the other videos from the 10/18/2011 council meeting at http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=27555.
    Thanks for posting Doug. An interesting meeting with more to come.

14. Default Re: Bricktown Strategic Plan

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    Thanks for posting Doug. An interesting meeting with more to come.
    You're very welcome.

15. Default Re: Bricktown Strategic Plan

You basically reiterated the same steps the Strategic Plan outlined.

Blog Entries

Zoning promotes automobiles? You are kidding right? Houston has had very little zoning and it is one of the most spread out and automobile congested cities in America. LA, the same. This is pretty simplistic overview.

I think he's trying to say the specific style of zoning used in most of Oklahoma City promotes automobile use because it stands in the way of high density commercial/residential mixed development.

Blog Entries

In what parts of town does the zoning prohibit high density and or mixed use? And when has it been denied? There are a few instances I can specifically recall...one at 36th and Bdway when the neighborhood objected so strongly that it wasn't approved, and secondly, the Bob Funk proposal in btown. I can't recall zoning prohibiting any and I believe that zoning changes can be applied for anyway.

When people WANT to give up their autos they will. When people WANT to quit living in the suburbs they will. To claim the use of autos is caused by zoning is wrong.

Rover - there are tons of zoning regulations that not only promote automobile use - but requires it. OKC requires X parking spaces for each residential unit, per 1000 sq feet of office space, per 1000 sq feet of retail space, per movie screen, etc... Zoning laws prevent bars and schools for being located near each other so you can't have a neighborhood school and a neighborhood bar. Landscaping plans practically prevent walking between adjacent developments without having to jump rows of bushes, walk through flower beds, or have the path totally blocked by a retention pond. I didn't even realize how bad it was until I started riding a bike, I suggest you give it a try. It will probably change your mind.

When walking or riding a bike the phrase “You can’t get there from here” takes on a whole new meaning.

Segregated zoning absolutely has required the use of a car. Residential pod development (aka subdivision) funnels all traffic into usually 1 collector road that makes trying to cross it a death wish. And while Houston might not a have a formal zoning code, it has instead a land-use code. They regulate minimum lots size, minimum impervious area ratios, etc...

OKC has non-buildable lots. Why?

Blog Entries

Rover - there are tons of zoning regulations that not only promote automobile use - but requires it. OKC requires X parking spaces for each residential unit, per 1000 sq feet of office space, per 1000 sq feet of retail space, per movie screen, etc... Zoning laws prevent bars and schools for being located near each other so you can't have a neighborhood school and a neighborhood bar. Landscaping plans practically prevent walking between adjacent developments without having to jump rows of bushes, walk through flower beds, or have the path totally blocked by a retention pond. I didn't even realize how bad it was until I started riding a bike, I suggest you give it a try. It will probably change your mind.

When walking or riding a bike the phrase “You can’t get there from here” takes on a whole new meaning.

Segregated zoning absolutely has required the use of a car. Residential pod development (aka subdivision) funnels all traffic into usually 1 collector road that makes trying to cross it a death wish. And while Houston might not a have a formal zoning code, it has instead a land-use code. They regulate minimum lots size, minimum impervious area ratios, etc...

OKC has non-buildable lots. Why?
    Having a parking lot doesn't REQUIRE people to have a car. You confuse cause and effect. What you are implying is the opposite. People naturally want to drive so FORCE them to leave their cars at home if they want to partake of the activity in that building. LOL.

Not serving alcohol in the same area as a school is not a zoning issue, it is a state alcohol law. Don't see how that makes people drive cars.

Landscaping doesn't prohibit walking, but not having sidewalks or bike lanes is the issue. Not having mass trans is the issue.

You have to learn to correctly associate cause and effect. You continuously confuse the two. Associating two things, even if they have the same trends, doesn't mean one causes the other.

It is called a facilitator.

Blog Entries

As an outsider, it has always seemed to me that while the city has promoted a grand vision for btown the private sector has been totally fragmented and everyone out for themselves. They give the appearance that they are only interested in their own deals and have not understood that a more coordinated plan that also works with the public plan would, in the end, benefit everyone better. If they can agree on a strategic plan that leverages what the public has spent and they can coordinate their efforts then they can more likely insure long term success. While I appreciate small local entrepreneurs, none of them apparently has had the resources to do anything remotely close to ground breaking. We have pitiful development on lower btown canal and a future magnet site in the old cotton mill. We have the old steel buildings on the east end that could be razed and provided a site for a great mixed used development done at one time that would have a dynamic effect on btown. That takes a developer of substance and vision to pull those things off. It won't happen a motel at a time or a few apartments at a time. It will take decades at that rate. We need to entice a world class developer to come in and help us fulfill a vision.

To claim the use of autos is caused by zoning is wrong.
    Maybe, but we wouldn't know. What our zoning does do is force you to accommodate automobiles at the expense of pedestrians. If you wanted to build a pedestrian friendly development, in many cases in OKC you could not, because the zoning MAKES you accommodate the automobile. So, really we don't know if people want to give up their automobiles and move out of the suburbs here, because we are not allowed to build for any other market except that one.

I understand you're trying to invoke a free market argument, but there is no free market in this case. The regulations dictate that the automobile be accommodated and this is at the cost of pedestrian minded development. So, even if part of the market demanded developments that favored pedestrians, the government regulations do not allow it. So, as it is now, what people, i.e. the market wants is irrelevant, the government has decided what they want. In the face of our zoning, you can not conclude off hand that people do not want more pedestrian developments or that some do not want to give up their cars. There is no choice.

Blog Entries

You mean to tell me that zoning prohibits developers from building sidewalks? Or prohibits parking in the rear? Or prohibits high-rise buildings? Or prohibits mixed use developments? Or that zoning changes can't be applied for and if they could be, they aren't allowed? That the only reason people want the ability to travel point to point in their own way and time is because the government wants them to drive cars? And all this time I thought I was just enjoying the freedom to choose my own way.

This is all way off the thread topic anyway. You all can argue the evil and stupid intentions of the government on another thread.

I would like to get all these same people in the same room again but this time forbid using the words "automobile" and "parking" and see what kind of plan they can come up with. It is like GM, Goodyear, and Standard Oil are financing the whole deal behind the scenes.

Thread Information