Widgets Magazine

Thread: Spanky McFarland's Barbeque Restaurant

Default Spanky McFarland's Barbeque Restaurant

Anybody remember Spanky McFarland of the Our Gang movies having a barbeque restaurant on North May Avenue just north of 39th Street Expressway in the sixties?

I remember him telling me he was going to close and move to the Southlake, Texas area and open a similar restaurant there.

He did move, looked in the Southlake-Keller area for a suitable location and I guess never found one.

Saw him at a Charity Reception in the early seventies in Grapevine, Texas and asked him why he never opened his restaurant and he told me he was enjoying retirement too much.

Default Re: Spanky McFarland's Barbeque Restaurant

Sorry . . . Just couldn't resist
    But it IS nostalgic . . . And it's set at about the same point in The Timeline as the aforementioned BBQ place. =)

If this wasn't on the jukebox, it should have been.
    If only for the "ironic"/"iconic" name recognition factor.

I especially like the break/fadewaway starting at about 2:02 . . .

Default Re: Spanky McFarland's Barbeque Restaurant

I started another post about this a awhile back. He made an appearance at what is now Southern Nazarene University around 1976 or 77 where he showed clips from the Our Gang/Little Rascals series and told stories about what happened to everyone on the shows. He mentioned he had lived in Bethany and owned a BBQ off N.W. 39th and May. He said at the time he was a district manager for Magic Chef. I get the idea he spent a lot of time in sales in his later years and made a lot of personal appearances at sales conventions. There are some clips of him on YouTube speaking at conventions. He had a great personality and was very funny.

Bigray in Ok

4. Default Re: Spanky McFarland's Barbeque Restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrayok View Post
    I started another post about this a awhile back. He made an appearance at what is now Southern Nazarene University around 1976 or 77 where he showed clips from the Our Gang/Little Rascals series and told stories about what happened to everyone on the shows. He mentioned he had lived in Bethany and owned a BBQ off N.W. 39th and May. He said at the time he was a district manager for Magic Chef. I get the idea he spent a lot of time in sales in his later years and made a lot of personal appearances at sales conventions. There are some clips of him on YouTube speaking at conventions. He had a great personality and was very funny.

Bigray in Ok
    Spanky's Pizza. Was that before - or after - the BBQ?

Thread Information