Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Occupy OKC in Kerr Park...

Default Re: Occupy OKC in Kerr Park...

Quote Originally Posted by OSUMom View Post
    But if no one pays back their student loans, there won't be money to give to the next crop of college students. Sort of a "I got mine, too bad you can't have yours." I also have to wonder how many of those people crying to have these unpayable student loans got degrees in areas that aren't known for providing good paying jobs.
    But if we keep bailing out financial institutions and corporations, there won't be money to bail the next crop of financial institutions and corporations. Sort of a "I got mine, too bad you can't have yours." I also have to wonder how many of those financial institutions and corporations crying to have these bailouts invested in areas that aren't known for providing good returns.

I was against the bailouts. Never should have happened. Just think, if Penn Square Bank had been bailed out, you know this time around they would be right in the middle of the stupidity, holding their hands out for more gov money. No one bailed them out and one stupid financial institution is not around to be stupid anymore.

I think protesters would agree with you. Are you sure you're not in the 99%?

As I said, I have ONE issue I agree with them on. After that I haven't seen one other thing that I agree with. So no, I don't think I'm one of their 99%.

I'm going downtown and telling them right now. I may make a sign for them , "OSUMom supports this message".

JK

I will wave and tell them that's me when I walk by them in the morning.

One of my favorite sites has an interesting article, I Stand with the Protesters

...The student loans are the tip of the iceberg. Bankers have made and sold trillions of dollars worth of loans that they knew, or should have known, could not be repaid. That's fraud. It must be prosecuted. Today, central bankers and governments are refunding those loans, knowing that a substantial portion of them cannot be repaid. Worse, they are buying them above par because of today's fake low interest rates. Then they guarantee them by obligating us and future generations to repay them. This is criminal.

I figure that at least a third of our deposits are worthless because they have no assets behind them. Those running the scam know that. Those investing in the scam know it. But they don't care because they get to collect their fees off the top. That is a system that institutionalizes theft. It must be changed to a performance based model. If you don't earn a positive return, you don't get paid. Instead, governments have taken over the scam while transferring wealth to and protecting the criminals who built the system.

If you are blaming the protesters, or are mystified by them, then you just don't get it. Denial is part of the problem. Too many people have yet to wake up to the fact that they have already been victimized. They are playing along with the dishonest shell game of extend and pretend that the Fed and other central banks and governments are running. It's time to get real, wake up, and face the music. The longer the game goes on, the worse the consequences for the 99%, and ultimately for the 1%, whose ranks will be decimated at some point, and probably not peacefully if this scam is allowed to continue for much longer.

This is great. I support the people protesting. I understand the big gripe about student loans first hand.

As I said, I have ONE issue I agree with them on. After that I haven't seen one other thing that I agree with. So no, I don't think I'm one of their 99%.
    You are the 99%. you just haven't done the math.

Explain what the 99% is.

I guess it's everyone except the 1% so it might be easier to explain the 1%.

12. Default Re: Occupy OKC in Kerr Park...

I was against the bailouts. Never should have happened. Just think, if Penn Square Bank had been bailed out, you know this time around they would be right in the middle of the stupidity, holding their hands out for more gov money. No one bailed them out and one stupid financial institution is not around to be stupid anymore.
    I agree with this 100%. Why keep bailing out businesses who have bad business models? Hell a huge chunk or even half of that GM bailout went to union retirement funds and healthcare and had nothing to do with the actual business side of it. I say let GM and all the banks go in to bankruptcy, therefore they can get their crap together, restructure, and maybe come back with a better business model. But this is america, where we reward people for doing everything wrong and don't reward people who do things right. Self accountability and responsibility is gone for the most part.

As for the student loans going to College is a privilage, not a right. Should everyone get the opportunity though, absolutely. But forgiving student loans up to a certain amount or up to 20 years is telling people even if you have the cash flow don't worry about paying the full amount cause we'll let it slide after a certain point. It does a disservice to the people and students that follow you and it stiffs the people who actually paid their loans or paid in full.

While I still can't say that I know that the bailout kept us from financial disaster - am not educated enough in economics to understand - what cracked me up was the argument that salaries need to be high in the financial sector to attract high calibre, intelligent people at the entry level and keep them at higher levels. If that was the net effect of the high salaries pre-bailout, why weren't they smart enough to keep it from happening to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by HewenttoJared View Post
    You are the 99%. you just haven't done the math.
    If you go back to my post about it, it is the implication that they represent 99% of the people, meaning if I'm not in the 1%, I agree with them. I found that arrogant and irritating. That will turn people off, making it sound like they represent more people then they do. It is a mis-step for them to do so. Don't tell me I agree with your viewpoint. I will make up my own mind thank you very much.

What's their view point?

If you go back to my post about it, it is the implication that they represent 99% of the people, meaning if I'm not in the 1%, I agree with them. I found that arrogant and irritating. That will turn people off, making it sound like they represent more people then they do. It is a mis-step for them to do so. Don't tell me I agree with your viewpoint. I will make up my own mind thank you very much.
    Of course you do. They're still doing this for you whether you care or realize it. You know how you have weekends? A bunch of curmudgeonly folks grumbled about the people who gave us those too. I bet they still took their weekends though. And if these people make the world better then the things they accomplish will just seem normal to your grandkids. Will you tell them that you ridiculed the people who made the world better?

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    I agree with this 100%. Why keep bailing out businesses who have bad business models? Hell a huge chunk or even half of that GM bailout went to union retirement funds and healthcare and had nothing to do with the actual business side of it. I say let GM and all the banks go in to bankruptcy, therefore they can get their crap together, restructure, and maybe come back with a better business model. But this is america, where we reward people for doing everything wrong and don't reward people who do things right. Self accountability and responsibility is gone for the most part.

As for the student loans going to College is a privilage, not a right. Should everyone get the opportunity though, absolutely. But forgiving student loans up to a certain amount or up to 20 years is telling people even if you have the cash flow don't worry about paying the full amount cause we'll let it slide after a certain point. It does a disservice to the people and students that follow you and it stiffs the people who actually paid their loans or paid in full.
    College IS a privilege. And that's a shame. Do you think a country that maximizes ignorance for the sake of profits will remain competitive as the knuckle-dragged generations age?

Quote Originally Posted by HewenttoJared View Post
    Of course you do. They're still doing this for you whether you care or realize it. You know how you have weekends? A bunch of curmudgeonly folks grumbled about the people who gave us those too. I bet they still took their weekends though. And if these people make the world better then the things they accomplish will just seem normal to your grandkids. Will you tell them that you ridiculed the people who made the world better?

And the conservatives who are protesting for the government to spend less and get out of debt are doing it for the Occupy protesters as well, right? But somehow I don't think they would like to be told they are part of that movement.

And the conservatives who are protesting for the government to spend less and get out of debt are doing it for the Occupy protesters as well, right? But somehow I don't think they would like to be told they are part of that movement.
    Austerity measures aren't going to fix the system and forcing a depression isn't going to pay off the debt.

If they had stuck to that original goal then they would be on the same side, yes. Unfortunately their new goals, as shown by the examples of their candidates, are not anything like that original goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Education is too expensive...
    Is education too expensive or is it just that the wrong person has to pay for it? Who is to blame for the high cost of tuition at the University of Oklahoma, the faculty for earning too much, the administration for earning too much, the student loan industry that makes the money available so faculty and administration can earn too much, the student for borrowing more than he can repay, or the State Legislature that doesn't subsidize enough of the cost.

Where is the incentive for OU to keep tuition low?

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I guess it's everyone except the 1% so it might be easier to explain the 1%.
    You didn't answer my question. If 99% of people are protesting, then nothing would be happening. NOTHING! And, I look out my window and people are working. So, who are the 99% that these people say they are?

Quote Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
    You didn't answer my question. If 99% of people are protesting, then nothing would be happening. NOTHING! And, I look out my window and people are working. So, who are the 99% that these people say they are?
    They people protesting are supposed to be a small part of the 99% who are protesting for us, the rest of the 99%. So I guess we won't have to. Or something. But they are doing it for us. No matter if we want them to or not. That is what I am getting from the recent posts anyways.

I thought the concept was obvious here. The 99% thing is a reference to the fact that the top 1% of the population controls most of the wealth in this country, while the remaining 99% of the population is left fighting for the scraps.

They people protesting are supposed to be a small part of the 99% who are protesting for us, the rest of the 99%. So I guess we won't have to. Or something. But they are doing it for us. No matter if we want them to or not. That is what I am getting from the recent posts anyways.
    Correct.

Thread Information