Widgets Magazine

Thread: The Shorthorn Network

1. Default The Shorthorn Network

Default Re: The Shorthorn Network

I saw a commercial tonight on ESPN for the LHN. They were mentioning that the only place you would be able watch the Texas - Kansas football game would be on the LHN and encouraged people to sign up so they could watch that game. How many of you jumped on that? LOL

"People" can't "sign up" on their own, the cable companies have to sign on. They still only have 6 small cable systems here in Texas and Verizon Fios. The San Marcos area is the largest service area, Time Warner Cable in Austin and San Antonio still have not picked it up.

People can choose their cable or satellite systems so they do have some control over whether they can get the network. That wasn't really the point of my post though. I just thought it was very funny what they were using to promote the network.

To some extent you can, but since all they have is these small carriers there aren't many with a choice to get it if they wanted it. With the choices available here in the City of Austin (Time Warner Cable, Directv, Dish, AT&T U-Verse) none of them offer LHN. Grande Communications is the San Marcos based company that has the largest reach, they are also the UT campus cable provider and has a small service area in Austin near the campus. Those are the only homes and businesses in Austin who have the ability to get the LHN. Verizon Fios is in Texas, mostly the DFW area, that is the only "national" provider that carries it, the funny thing is you can get the LHN in Boston but not Austin.

....not that it bothers me in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    To some extent you can, but since all they have is these small carriers there aren't many with a choice to get it if they wanted it. With the choices available here in the City of Austin (Time Warner Cable, Directv, Dish, AT&T U-Verse) none of them offer LHN. Grande Communications is the San Marcos based company that has the largest reach, they are also the UT campus cable provider and has a small service area in Austin near the campus. Those are the only homes and businesses in Austin who have the ability to get the LHN. Verizon Fios is in Texas, mostly the DFW area, that is the only "national" provider that carries it, the funny thing is you can get the LHN in Boston but not Austin.
    ....not that it bothers me in the least.
    I wonder how many takers they will get for the Texas - Kansas game in Boston?

Just some Whorn alums I am sure, I have seen a few wearing hats and stuff up there.

I'm watching the Cal-Oregon game and it's halftime and they tried to advertise the Texas-Kansas game saying "I don't want to miss it". I laughed.

Quote Originally Posted by MDot View Post
    I'm watching the Cal-Oregon game and it's halftime and they tried to advertise the Texas-Kansas game saying "I don't want to miss it". I laughed.
    You shouldn't have to stay up till midnight to watch a conference game. That game didn't get over with until about 1:30AM here in the east coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    You shouldn't have to stay up till midnight to watch a conference game. That game didn't get over with until about 1:30AM here in the east coast.
    It was a long game and it was hard to watch after LaMichael James' injury.

During the **censored** game Saturday, Brent Mushmouth was imploring people to call Dish Network, DirecTV and AT&T and ask for the LHN. Bet their phones are ringing off the wall...

Quote Originally Posted by BB37 View Post
    During the **censored** game Saturday, Brent Mushmouth was imploring people to call Dish Network, DirecTV and AT&T and ask for the LHN. Bet their phones are ringing off the wall...
    Considering Kansas is the only Big XII team Texas will beat that's not from the state of Iowa, people are probably jumping all over that.

Quote Originally Posted by BB37 View Post
    ...Brent Mushmouth was imploring people to call Dish Network, DirecTV and AT&T and ask for the LHN. Bet their phones are ringing off the wall...
    I actually thought that was kind of funny. Here is the deal, if that on-air plea doesn't result in LHN being picked up by any cable subscribers nothing will. They even made mention that practices 2 days a week would be covered live. No word if the grounds keeper is going to get his own half-hour show.

If a big pitch for LHN is to watch TX v KS, that purt much tells one all one need know regarding its value.

.oO(no wonder they've wanted to broadcast HS sports)Oo.

I just wonder if they'll play "classic" Longhorn games, like, oh, the Red River Rivalries of 2001, 2003 and 2003, respectively, or if they'll just tuck those under the bed and forget they exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I actually thought that was kind of funny. Here is the deal, if that on-air plea doesn't result in LHN being picked up by any cable subscribers nothing will. They even made mention that practices 2 days a week would be covered live. No word if the grounds keeper is going to get his own half-hour show.
    I know people down here who would subscribe if they could but ESPN wants to sell it like one of their networks so it is an all or nothing deal and a higher subscriber count to sell advertising with. There is no way they would go to a Setanta or Fox Soccer Channel model and make it an individual subscriber option. With that attitude it will be hard to get beyond the 6 small cable systems and Verizon Fios they currently have, none in Austin, San Antonio or Houston. More than likely it will be bundled with the other ESPN channels whenever it comes time to renew those contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    More than likely it will be bundled with the other ESPN channels whenever it comes time to renew those contracts.
    Might I suggest they call it ESPN 8 - The Ocho.

Thread Information