Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steve Jobs has Died

1. Default Re: Steve Jobs has Died

Quote Originally Posted by td25er View Post
    SUPERIOR? If you mean fragile products that work for a year and then freeze every other day or whose buttons stop working. If you mean batteries that are not replaceable and are useless after a year. If you mean software that randomly wipes your device when updating or syncing. Those are my personal experiences with an ipod mini, 2 video ipods, and a shuffle.

If you mean a phone whose screen shatters when you drop it 2.5 feet with the protective case ON. That is my wife's experience with her iphone. If you mean a phone that can't do half of what android phones can do.

I thought I made informed decisions b/c in 2004 everybody had an ipod. I figured they were the best, but I was ignorant.
    You must have the worst luck ever. I own numerous iDevices (Shuffle x2, Ipod Touch x2, Ipad 1 and 2, 2011 model iMac, 2011 LOADED Mac Pro, 2011 Macbook Pro, Apple TV) and never once had one break unless I did something stupid - like when I drowned my iPod touch in a Big Gulp. It was out of warranty and warranty wouldn't have covered that anyway. Took it to the Apple store and they handed me a brand new one and it didn't cost me a dime. Or, when I dropped my iPad onto the concrete and broke the screen.

I buy the extended warranty on everything and have only used it one time - on a 2.5 year old iMac. Right before the extended warranty is up I tend to sell my iDevice or give it to a family member and upgrade.

I still have my first Shuffles. The wife uses one when she works out and they are very old. My dad has my old Imac, which is several years old and works like a charm. The fact they sell as much as they do proves your experience (if true) is not the norm. Sure people have bad experiences, but that is not the usual Apple experience.

As for phones that won't do half of what an Android will do - lets see your examples. I have an EVO and can't wait to dump it and get the 4s now that Sprint carries them. I had an iPhone on AT&T and loved it - just hated AT&T's service/network.

Lord Helmet Guest

Default Re: Steve Jobs has Died

Yup...must have bad luck...I've had/have a bagillion Apple products and have never a major issue other than losing a hard drive once...but that's bound to happen.

The only problem I have had with an Apple device is dropping my iPod Touch on the concrete for about the 10th time and it getting a few cracks on the screen. Everyone in my family has some sort of Apple product and nobody has ever had a complaint about anything Apple.

SUPERIOR? If you mean fragile products that work for a year and then freeze every other day or whose buttons stop working. If you mean batteries that are not replaceable and are useless after a year. If you mean software that randomly wipes your device when updating or syncing. Those are my personal experiences with an ipod mini, 2 video ipods, and a shuffle.

If you mean a phone whose screen shatters when you drop it 2.5 feet with the protective case ON. That is my wife's experience with her iphone. If you mean a phone that can't do half of what android phones can do.

I thought I made informed decisions b/c in 2004 everybody had an ipod. I figured they were the best, but I was ignorant.
    IDtenT error most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    Yup...must have bad luck...I've had/have a bagillion Apple products and have never a major issue other than losing a hard drive once...but that's bound to happen.
    Ditto what he said, well, excelt for the "bajillion" part. I've dropped my iphone countless times (with the case on), and have never had a problem with it. I've also never experienced a problem with any itunes uploads, except for the fact that it's loaded onto a pc.

Itunes had DRM'ed music for most of its existence. You could only put it on 5 computers and it wouldn't play on non-apple music devices. You could burn a cd, but you couldn't play anything on a cheap sanyo mp3 player. You had to buy a 300 dollar ipod
    You take the burned CD and rip MP3 files from it, then you have DRM free MP3 files that will work on any MP3 player. I have an older Sansa player that is MP3 only and it works fine with purchased iTunes files that have been converted. Some other brands will play the Apple files now, many of the newer car stereos will.

The only Apple products that I own is an iPod Classic (160gb) and iPod Nano for walking, I previously had an older iPod (40gb) and an iPhone 3G that I got rid of because of AT&T. They make great products but I have no use for Macs since my software is Windows only but they are still good computers.

7. Default Re: Steve Jobs has Died

If you're really upset with DRM on an iTunes Music file, give them a quarter and they'll peel it off.

Quote Originally Posted by HewenttoJared View Post
    IDtenT error most likely.
    How clever. I haven't heard that 20th times. ****ty batteries have soooo much to do with the user being an idiot. Ipods freezing randomly? Itunes wiping your device? I'd love to hear why that is idiot error. Maybe your dog knocking your phone from an arm rest makes you an idiot, but the screen shattering from a 30in fall, WITH THE CASE ON? Come on....

How clever. I haven't heard that 20th times. ****ty batteries have soooo much to do with the user being an idiot. Ipods freezing randomly? Itunes wiping your device? I'd love to hear why that is idiot error. Maybe your dog knocking your phone from an arm rest makes you an idiot, but the screen shattering from a 30in fall, WITH THE CASE ON? Come on....
    You mad? Lol

As someone who has used Windows, Linux and OS X, I can tell you nothing would get me to give up my Mac, except for the unlikely possibility of key software I use being discontinued on the Mac.

This is as much a hardware issue as software. Ever opened up a Mac? You can do all kinds of upgrades and repairs with no tools whatsoever – the kinds of things that always had me fumbling around with jeweler's screwdrivers when I had PCs. It's all the kind of stuff that, when you see how it's put together, you ask yourself, why hasn't everyone been doing it this way all along?

Jobs genius wasn't inventing things. I don't think Apple ever put anything out in the world that was totally original, except, arguably, the Newton. His gift was looking at things that were already there and saying,'Can't we make a version of this that's actually usable?'

I've had iPods since 2005, never had iTunes wipe out anything but then I am also keep multiple copies of my music in many locations so even if it did happen it would be an annoyance and nothing more. The majority of my music is a rip from my own CD's (about 700 of them) but even the songs that I have bought off iTunes have all been backed up as an audio CD and ripped to an MP3 file for maximum portability. I've had all sorts of other devices lock up, it isn't an Apple exclusive thing.

I really wanted a Creative Zen MP3 player before I bought the iPod, the problem was every display model that I looked at had the metal case cover popping off and not a one had a fully functional headphone jack, looking on line it seemed to be a common issue. I went with the iPod (40gb) because it seemed solid and there was an accessory market for it, it was my first Apple product. I have two other iPods currently used and and iPhone 3G (gave to a friend and still in use) are the only other Apple products owned so I am far from an Apple fanboy. They make solid products and learning how to use them would help most users.

Thread Information