Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Police Headquarters

Default Re: New Police Station & Courthouse

The old police station is now up for sale and it looks like it is a rather massive building...might the OKCPS be able to use it for their Admin???

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    JTF, Neoclassical architecture was a movement in its own right; though it took heavy styling cues from Greek and Roman architecture it wasn't identical. But it is now also a style of the past. Depending upon the circumstances, you almost never would want to erect a new building in that precise style.
    That is because it would be too expensive to do now, however, the new courthouse here in Jax is done in this style (using modern techniques - which means there are columns but they aren't load bearing). Also, the Oklahoma City Museum of Art is not owned by the City. I guess I can't say it enough - I am only talking about city owned building in the Civic District. I'm not advocating the new convention center or downtown school be art deco.

As for the neo-classical style falling out of favor, million of homes in America have columns so someone still likes it. We have 4 columns in our house and none of them hold up anything which means their only purpose is visual appreciation.

Anyhow - I think we beat this one to death enough. I suspect we will end up with something close to what you guys like and further from what I think would be fitting of a public building. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    The old police station is now up for sale and it looks like it is a rather massive building...might the OKCPS be able to use it for their Admin???
    Larry, there has been discussion about that here.

http://www.okctalk.com/showwiki.php?...ng&do=comments

I dislike this deep-rooted antipathy for modern development. It's true that a lot of it is worthless crap, but you can't paint it with a broad brush. There is some truly fantastic architecture getting built today for which we will remember the 2000s as a much better, more enlightened period than the few decades before. This is a decade of transition away from the 60s-90s Dallas-style development and instead toward sustainability, preservation, revitalization, etc.

Just did business with one of the higher ups in the OKCPD. The new headquarters is his project and he said they're to break ground on it in June or July (read through previous posts and didn't see this info) of this year. I asked him if renderings were available--not knowing at the time that they were already on here--and so I emailed ADG to see if anything has changed between the original renderings and now. The officer was very excited so it'll be interesting to see something other than art deco style architecture go up in the old CRI&P right-of-way.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Just did business with one of the higher ups in the OKCPD. The new headquarters is his project and he said they're to break ground on it in June or July (read through previous posts and didn't see this info) of this year. I asked him if renderings were available--not knowing at the time that they were already on here--and so I emailed ADG to see if anything has changed between the original renderings and now. The officer was very excited so it'll be interesting to see something other than art deco style architecture go up in the old CRI&P right-of-way.
    Are you saying the rendering you saw was different than the rendering in this thread? Or that they were the same?

No...just saying that I didn't know if the renderings presented to us earlier that are currently on this thread are the final ones & it seems as if they are. I never saw any other renderings.

8. Default Re: New Police Station & Courthouse

That's interesting, if correct.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    That's interesting, if correct.
    Why is it interesting?

Yeah, not understanding why that's interesting either. He stated he didn't know if he saw the same renderings as we already have or not.

I'm pretty sure that there are no new renderings. Was kinda thinking out loud on that initial post that stirred up catch22's reply. And, of course, I ended up e-mailing ADG out of Wisconsin, thinking they were associated with the ADG in OKC--they are not, so I'm back to square zero, lol.

An engineering/architecural firm is working on plans to be shown to the City Council in the near future.

Well, considering that my police guy said ground was being broken in June/July, what is 'near future' in your opinion? April??

On the 3/21/13 Downtown Design Review Committee agenda:

Presentation by Scott Dedmon and Steve Matthews, ADG, on the future submittal for construction of the new OKC Police Headquarters facilities.

Looks like this project is moving forward.

Now, a formal application has been filed for the new police HQ with the Downtown Design Review Committee.

Will upload details once they are available, but this project is definitely moving ahead.

Yay!

An update by Steve on this project and the surrounding area.

Projects seen as potential catalysts to redeveloping Oklahoma City's downtown fringe | News OK

Likewise, Dedmon said, the new court and police headquarters also feature a larger setback from the street than typical for downtown construction, which also addresses security concerns.
    Well.

Anyone have images of the plans?

HangryHippo Guest

The building renderings that were originally posted here looked nothing like what's already there. I don't have high hopes that what's now proposed looks any closer to the Civic Center buildings.

Renderings from ADG that were featured in the print version of the Oklahoman:

I like that look. Modern day yet still fitting for the area. Would like to see some more drawings though of the layout.

I like the look. Due to the cost of limestone there was NO WAY it would look even remotely like the Civic Center.

Likewise, Dedmon said, the new court and police headquarters also feature a larger setback from the street than typical for downtown construction, which also addresses security concerns.
    Setback doesn't look terrible (certainly could have been worse). Looks like it abuts the sidewalk which abuts the angled parking spaces...and part of the building angles off...all of that combined, is that what they mean by the larger setback??

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Setback doesn't look terrible (certainly could have been worse). Looks like it abuts the sidewalk which abuts the angled parking spaces...and part of the building angles off...all of that combined, is that what they mean by the larger setback??
    I was thinking the same thing Larry. As long as the sidewalk is wide it appears okay. In many urban places the sidewalk is up to 20 feet wide. As for the 'security concerns", what a load of BS. Whoever at the city is on that kick needs to get off of it. The new Edmond police department is going to be built right to the street. I guess maybe Edmond isn't concerned about safety or something.

25. Default Re: New Police Station & Courthouse

Well, if someone wanted to make a statement Im sure they'd pick OKC as opposed to Edmond since OKC is the major city (big prominent buildings).

Personally, I like it but wish there could be a few more floors added since it is police HQ AND Municipal Court.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Thread Information