Widgets Magazine
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Police Headquarters

Default Re: Police Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Actually, a bunch of people do because they are waiting on people or have business within. If you ever go by the existing facility you'll see lots of people milling about outside.

And yes, the benches do double-duty as protection from vehicles.
    You're right, although I sense Rovers post was mostly just sarcasm.
    I had some business to conduct with an accident I was involved in, it took them about 30 minutes to process my request (copies of documents) and the weather was nice so I waited outside. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Actually, a bunch of people do because they are waiting on people or have business within. If you ever go by the existing facility you'll see lots of people milling about outside.

And yes, the benches do double-duty as protection from vehicles.
    Yes, I know. Humor doesn't work on boards. Even with smiley faces, I guess. Will be more serious next time.

I think it's a nice execution of the requisite security landscapes needed for a police HQ.

They are almost finished here; noticed they had started to move in some furniture.

Also, they have floodlights lighting the building at night and it looks really sharp. I'll try and get a photo of that.

Here is a nighttime photo... Looks pretty slick in person:

The Oklahoman's video of the opening along with comments by Mick Cornett.

OKC Central blog player

Press release for the City of OKC:

New OKC Police Headquarters Building opens downtown

Mayor Mick Cornett, Police Chief Bill Citty and other Oklahoma City officials cut the ribbon, formally opening the Police Department’s new headquarters on Monday.

“We have an expertly trained, highly respected police force, so there was strong support for the new headquarters,” Mayor Mick Cornett said. “The building’s design and construction will serve residents 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for decades to come.”

The three-story, 88,625-square-foot building replaces the aging former headquarters, which was built in 1965 and recently plagued by rising maintenance problems and costs. The new headquarters is 11 percent larger than the old building across the street, and its efficient design maximizes the use of space and allows for expansion and re-configuration over the coming decades.

“There are a lot of people to thank for the new Police Headquarters that will serve Oklahoma City for many years, but ultimately it’s the citizens who funded the project because they trust our City Manager, Mayor and City Councilpersons with their dollars, Police Chief Bill Citty said.

“I am proud to say the new facility has exceeded our expectations thanks to ADG architects, Wynn construction and the City’s Public Works staff. They have created a public safety facility the City, police personnel and citizens can be proud of.”

Residents entering the headquarters on the first floor will be greeted by the information desk and records units, helping them access police services immediately and easily. The second floor features the Investigations Bureau, and the new, open-plan design fosters collaborative police work. The police chief’s office and the Criminal Intelligence Unit are on the third floor.

The building’s exterior design complements other buildings in the historic heart of the city, including the Civic Center Music Hall, City Hall and Oklahoma County Courthouse. It will also incorporate a memorial plaza to fallen officers.

Exterior and interior artwork will soon complete the look of the Headquarters, funded by OKC’s 1% for Art program. Public art will grace the memorial plaza on the exterior and will take the form of glass murals inside.

The sleek and modern design also incorporates practical elements inside and out, from security features limiting unauthorized access to the flexible design plan and energy efficiency.

The $27.1 million headquarters was funded by the 2007 general obligation bond issue, the MAPS 3 use tax and the public safety sales tax. Phase two of the project is the 65,000-square-foot Municipal Court building under construction one block to the north. The project architect was ADG, and the general contractor was Wynn Construction.

This project looks like it is fully finished; installed the outdoor public art. Everything turned out very nice.

Foggy brain moment. When the new court complex is built on the former parking lot north of it, does the existing court complex get razed and parking goes in, or will there be something else constructed in the space?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Foggy brain moment. When the new court complex is built on the former parking lot north of it, does the existing court complex get razed and parking goes in, or will there be something else constructed in the space?
    Razed and replaced with parking to serve the two new structures.

Blog Entries

I have a police officer friend that says they've been using the old HQ for active shooter training and they really love having that option there and so they might not be demoing so soon...

Demolition has begun on the old police station / court house building.

Will be surface parking.

Not sure why we can’t save the building, it looks much cooler than new buildings that replace it.

Not sure why we can’t save the building, it looks much cooler than new buildings that replace it.

At least it’ll be landscaped.

17. Default Re: Police Headquarters

Well parking is a huge step up from the new grow house I thought it would become.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Well parking is a huge step up from the new grow house I thought it would become.
    Letting this building rot would be a huge step up from a surface parking lot.

The irony is that there was already a bunch of parking on-site that was being used; a good deal of it was covered.

^^^ I guess because the policemen don’t like to walk anywhere further than ten feet?

I think there is a conflict between the police union and the city over parking. As I recall the union bought some buildings and lots around the police buildings and the city doesn't want to pay them for parking. Or something like that.

Does the rendering show the smokestack remaining?

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamonjock View Post
    Does the rendering show the smokestack remaining?
    Yes.

Free Press OKC article about the demo:

https://freepressokc.com/former-okc-...ng-demolished/

Thread Information