Widgets Magazine

Thread: How can you check if a road is public or private (access) in OKC limits?

Default How can you check if a road is public or private (access) in OKC limits?

I am curious about a road that goes around the state fair, NW Eighty Niner Dr
    Oklahoma City, OK 73107.

See the picture below, green is roads that I can drive down, the yellow is single pole gates that block the road, and the red is the inaccessible road.

This road wraps along the parking lot in the northwest corner of the state fair area, and allows access to osu-okc if you are going down that road. However it is now blocked off by the two yellow gates. I am trying to figure out if this road is a public road or if it is a road owned and maintained by the fairgrounds. If anyone can point me in the right direction as to find the status of a road please do. I would like to have this road opened back up if it is indeed public as it is a great shortcut and time saver from nw 10th and portland where traffic is crazy, especially around 4-6pm and when osu-okc gets out.

Default Re: How can you check if a road is public or private (access) in OKC limits?

It doesn't matter if a road is public or private; the City can shut a public street down for events.

Default Re: How can you check if a road is public or private (access) in OKC limits?

That entire area in red is within the state fairgrounds, according to the county assessor site.

I believe it is part of the fairgrounds. If so, you're out of luck. Blocking that segment would make sense from a security standpoint.

5. Default Re: How can you check if a road is public or private (access) in OKC limits?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    I believe it is part of the fairgrounds. If so, you're out of luck. Blocking that segment would make sense from a security standpoint.
    Security of what? It's just a road that's been there for eons.

If avoiding traffic is your main objective, you could still very easily take the road which goes aroung the south side of the arena. It's not much further.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    That entire area in red is within the state fairgrounds, according to the county assessor site.
    Well then, this would appear to answer my question that they have the right to keep it blocked off. Thanks for checking that for me pete.

Thanks everyone else for your input, I think its kinda silly they have that particular road blocked off, granted they now( as of the last couple of months) have upped their security and blocked off alot of stuff in the fairgrounds, this is the only stretch of road that goes around that is blocked off. It is what it is I guess, it sucks but oh well :O

8. Default Re: How can you check if a road is public or private (access) in OKC limits?

If you can get around the gates, go for it. I doubt there are security there when the whole place is empty.

Yes, security guards cruise around there...they might not spot you, but they are there. I walk my dog at the fairgrounds frequently.

Thread Information