Widgets Magazine

Thread: Whats the over/under

Default Whats the over/under

O how many months until Lake Hefner dries up completly? Im guessing if this drought continues 6 more months or so it is quite possible.
    I noticed the fishing pier on the SW corner of the lake by the fire station is now completely aground on the floor of the lake bottom.

2. Default Re: Whats the over/under

It'd say there will still be water for the remaining year, then we will deal with such disaster in late Winter into early Spring. However, we do have Canton Lake that can refill Lake Hefner, but I do not know how much of its capability. It depends on Canton Lake's status and where that lake gets it own source of water from. For it to be completely bare is not possible, at least not this time around. OKC will be suffering such serious water rationing.

Fond memories of the East Warf Lighthouse and the bench next to it.

Default Re: Whats the over/under

Hefner is pretty deep near the dam, Overholser is very shallow in comparison.

4. Default Re: Whats the over/under

I say dam up the Canadian near Norman and build a new massive lake to help increase supply...and raise property values. LOL

Hefner was still lower back when they built that cove for the dock over there by the restaurants.

It'll be awhile. The OKC reservoirs are backed up by a number of lakes in Eastern OK, Canton is the first of the chain if I recall correctly.

Did some googling, this article from the OKC Friday is helpful.

http://okcfriday.com/okc-holds-off-o...n-p6256-92.htm

So when they expand the capacity of the Hefner water treatment facility by 30 million gallons per day, where is the 30 million gallons going to come from?

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    I say dam up the Canadian near Norman and build a new massive lake to help increase supply...and raise property values. LOL
    I actually like that idea and have always been surprised that it hasn't already been done; even if it was just low water dams.

9. Default Re: Whats the over/under

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Hefner is pretty deep near the dam, Overholser is very shallow in comparison.
    True. When full most of Overholser isn't over 10 feet deep. Our depth finder says there is a lot of Hefner that's 40 to 60 feet deep. There's still a lot of water in Hefner.

I did hear today that no water will be released from canton unto hefner lake because the river bottom is so dry that it will soak up a lot of the water before it reaches hefner.

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    I did hear today that no water will be released from canton unto hefner lake because the river bottom is so dry that it will soak up a lot of the water before it reaches hefner.
    This has been traditionally true, they only want to do a release after rains have soaked the bed. I remember a story from long ago that stated they lost 50-60% of the release through absorption and evaporation before it hits the sluice gates just north of Overholser.

Thread Information