Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winds of Change - Oklahoman Supports Rail Transit

Default Winds of Change - Oklahoman Supports Rail Transit

I was asked to make OnTrac's rail transit presentation last Friday before the Tyner Cornbread and Beans luncheon, a monthly Cleveland County Democrats function. Before I got started, someone asked if I had seen the editorial in the Oklahoma the day before supporting continuation of the Heartland Flyer. I responded that I had not and gave little further thought to the matter, assuming it was probably a relatively minor, qualified endorsement.

So, I was completely shocked when I got online later that day and read the editorial piece for myself. Not only did the Oklahoman endorse continuation of the Heartland Flyer on the solid grounds of the importance of rail transit on quality of life, the editorial went to great lengths to present an argument against those opposed to rail transit on the basis that it must be subsidized, laying out the very same argument that I had made in my presentation on Friday that taxpayers heavily subsidize all transportation modes, including highways and air travel.

Here's the editorial for those who haven't had the opportunity to read it:

Loss of Amtrak would be blow to state

While the Gaylord family's sale of the Oklahoma to oil and business tycoon Philip Anschutz may not change many of the publications conservative views, the fact that Mr. Anschutz has significant business experience and investments in rail suggests that with regard to this issue, we finally have someone at the helm of the Oklahoman who understands the importance of rail transit for not only our quality of life, but also for our transportation and economic future.

Let's hope that support continues, and that it helps to educate those political and business leaders in this state who remain idealogically opposed to rail transit based on political dogma and illegitmate thinking.

Default Re: Winds of Change - Oklahoman Supports Rail Transit

I have a renewed hope for OKC. Maybe from the ashes of sprawl a new urban city will emerge. It seems that the OKC power brokers (for lack of a better term) are embracing the new urbanism.

Thanks for sharing that. I missed the editorial. It's good news when there is support for transit outside the usual groups.

I missed it as well so thank you very much. I would hate to lose the Amtrak and personally think they should expand it up to Kansas.

Wish I could locate it, but a few years back now, the Heartland Flyer was in danger because it was TOO popular. I can't recall why that would be???

Hmmm... That's odd, why would they want to discontinue a train that is a huge success?

I had the same WTF thought when i read the article way back then, wish I could lay my hands on it again.

Was there ever talks with the Kansas DOT"KDOT" too fund a study or possibly co fund Amtrak rail up to Wichita and then Newton?I thought I recalled some talk about Oklahoma and Kansas going in on this?

Quote Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
    Was there ever talks with the Kansas DOT"KDOT" too fund a study or possibly co fund Amtrak rail up to Wichita and then Newton?I thought I recalled some talk about Oklahoma and Kansas going in on this?
    I know they've been in serious talks on and off in the past but I'm not sure where they stand as of today or if it is even in question to extend the route anymore.

I rode the Heartland Flyer just once, three days after Christmas to meet up with my wife in Ft. Worth. A very pleasant experience. Price was chump change compared with the cost to drive down there and the scenery through the Arbuckles was awesome. We plan on taking the train for a day trip to Pauls Valley every year starting in March for our son's first and subsequent birthdays, a good ol' ride on the choo-choo. Here's to hoping the Heartland Flyer not only survives, but thrives with expansion to Kansas.

Very well written editorial. I particularly enjoyed the Oklahoman poking fun at the CATO Institute and pointing out the hypocrisy or the argument against subsidizing rail transit when we subsidize every other form of transportation.

I was disappointed that the Oklahoman failed to mention that it is DR. TOM COBURN who is leading the effort to deny funding to the Heartland Flyer. Ass.

I wish they would drop the Amtrak portion all together and run it as either state agency or a state funded corporation. I think for the amount of money that the State pays it would go a lot further if the federal bureaucracy wasn't weighing it down. The OKC to Dallas route should run at least 2X a day in each direction. A state operation would also allow for expanded passenger service throughout the state.

https://sites.google.com/site/okcrail/

Without going into too much detail, I suspect that you will be hearing greater advocacy for a separation of ODOT's Rail Projects Division if Ridley doesn't step up their game. There are some things that they really need to help out on soon for the metro and the state.

I am just curious but I've never known the answer to this. Do they store the Heartland Flyer here in Oklahoma City overnight?

Quote Originally Posted by MDot View Post
    I am just curious but I've never known the answer to this. Do they store the Heartland Flyer here in Oklahoma City overnight?
    Yes, it leaves OKC every morning and goes to Fort Worth. It departs Fort Worth late afternoon and arrives back in OKC each night.

One of my favorite sounds is the tootle of the Heartland Flyer when it arrives at night and leaves in the morning. It's very characteristic and the only train noise I really pay attention to.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Yes, it leaves OKC every morning and goes to Fort Worth. It departs Fort Worth late afternoon and arrives back in OKC each night.
    Where do they keep it at here in Oklahoma City cause I've never seen it before it arrives at the Santa Fe Depot in the mornings or after it drops the passengers off at night.

I suppose I should of started that last post with 'I suppose' instead of 'Yes'.

It has no other run that I am aware of, so it's my presumption it's parked on a siding or a yard somewhere in/near OKC during the few hours o/night between its daily r/trip.

It is parked just north of the Santa Fe station every night.

No, it doesn't have any other runs. I know the route it takes but I have never known where they store it overnight. I guess it is just some siding cause I've never seen it parked anywhere at night that would be an obvious place for it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    It is parked just north of the Santa Fe station every night.
    How far North? Cause when I rode it, you couldn't see it anywhere untill it got to the station.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    One of my favorite sounds is the tootle of the Heartland Flyer when it arrives at night and leaves in the morning. It's very characteristic and the only train noise I really pay attention to.
    I agree. It sounds different than the SD70Ace's or AC4400's or Dash 9's that come through regularly and I know when it's coming or going for that reason.

23. Default Re: Winds of Change - Oklahoman Supports Rail Transit

Until reading this thread just now for the 1st time, I'd been unaware of the Oklahoman editorial. I'm more than glad to give credit where credit is due, and so I'll say:

Good job, Oklahoman editorial people (I'd liked for the writer to have been identified so to single out credit ... but of course it wouldn't have been written and published at all without the full support of the Oklahoman's owners).

After making the drive to Dallas and then back home in the rain I wish we had much better train service for the OU Texas game.

They need to be flexible enough to schedule service around the game rather than to Amtrak’s ridged schedule.

With enough capacity and with the right timing they could haul several thousand paying customers as was done in the 1950’s

That's an awful lot to ask given the number of long freights that run on those same tracks. I've no actual knowledge, but I suspect there are far more freight trains rolling that line now than there were back then.

Thread Information