Widgets Magazine

View Poll Results: Leave for the SEC, PAC, or stay & prop up the B12?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • SEC

2 7.41%
  • PAC

20 74.07%
  • B12

5 18.52%

Thread: What does Boren/Castiglione decide?

Default What does Boren/Castiglione decide?

Leave for the PAC, SEC, or stay and prop up the B12?

Default Re: What does Boren/Castiglione decide?

Let's see, aTm wants out, Baylor, ISU, KU and KSU are threatening legal action against aTm, the SEC or both, and aTm says they're being "held hostage." OU and osu are actively and publicly looking at the PAC, and ut is clinging to the LHN for dear life.

Just what, exactly, is there in the B12 to 'prop up?'

I would rather go to the SEC even though we are moving to Denver in the near future. If they (and Tech) go to the Pac that would work out well for both us.

Anywhere that screws the abomination in Austin.

5. Default Re: What does Boren/Castiglione decide?

Did you hear the news tonight?They said that if A&M leaves the Big 12 that BYU is ready to announce they are joining the Big12 Saturday.It all depends on what OU is going to do. If we leave, there is no reason for BYU to commit
    to the Big 12. More confusion every day.

I initially thought that OU would be BOLD enough to take a stand and move from under the umbrella of Texas, but, I now am not so sure. This notion that Oklahoma and Texas are tied together at the hip in so many regards is a widely held one by many State and University leaders, to me detriment to Oklahoma. I now think OU and OSU will stay in the diluted big 10-12, which is run out of Dallas. This UT arrogance is what led to Neb and Colo departure and why I think Tex AM wants out. OU and OSU are not in my opinion independant enough to make the break which I think is unfortunate. I hope I am wrong.

I think there are two possible outcomes based on some recent comments by OU/OSU officials. The primary thing is the OU/Texas game being disbanded (see Stoops press conference 2 days ago). The only way that happens is if OU and Texas are in different 16 team conferences. So how does that happen with regards to OU?

1) OU/OSU/TAM go to the SEC. OU and OSU both said they will not file a lawsuit is TAM goes to the SEC right now.
    2) The Big XII is disbanded and a new middle America 16 team conference is born and UT is not part of it.

Option 1 requires lots of behind the scenes manouvering, which we are seeing. ESPN said last night that the Big East is ready to accept Kansas, Kansas St, Baylor, Missouri, and Iowa St if the Big XII folds.

Option 2 - Boone made it pretty clear last night he wants to keep traditions alive as much as possible and a number of schools have offered to joing a new 'Big XII'. That is a much easier task to pull off.

My money is now going on option 2 - a new 16 team conference. We will drop Texas and TAM will go to the SEC (Maybe, because without Texas in the new conference they have little incentive to go to the SEC). We then pick-up TCU, SMU, Air Force, BYU, Memphis, Houston, and Tulsa.

I get the feeling there is a lot of sentiment to save the B12 and keep a major conference alive here in the middle of the country. Bringing in BYU would do it. Although I despise their cult-like religion, they do have strong athletics and academics. Change is difficult and I think the more everyone has considered their options, the more they don't want to break up the gang.

9. Default Re: What does Boren/Castiglione decide?

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    My money is now going on option 2 - a new 16 team conference. We will drop Texas and TAM will go to the SEC (Maybe, because without Texas in the new conference they have little incentive to go to the SEC). We then pick-up TCU, SMU, Air Force, BYU, Memphis, Houston, and Tulsa.
    Not going to happen. The realignment is all about football. TCU and BYU have had a couple of good FB years. All the others mentioned add nothing to a conference as far as FB strength. With OU and OSU as the only FB powers in that new conference , assuming OSU continues it's rise, the conference would get no respect at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    Not going to happen. The realignment is all about football. TCU and BYU have had a couple of good FB years. All the others mentioned add nothing to a conference as far as FB strength. With OU and OSU as the only FB powers in that new conference , assuming OSU continues it's rise, the conference would get no respect at all.
    Agreed. A 'conference' like that would basically be a one-game season; likely wouldn't keep it's BCS AQ status, and TV money would be slashed from the current levels.

Boot TX, keep ATM and bring in BYU.

Thread Information