Widgets Magazine

Thread: Population Growth for OKC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

I always wonder why they never recognized a Oklahoma City-Norman Metropolitan area instead of Oklahoma City Metropolitan area. They are 20 miles apart and Norman is the 3rd largest city in the state with a major economic impact and urban center. Is it because Norman doesn't sprawl into a county outside of Cleveland? Like if it sprawled into McClain County that would give it more significance?

For example they identify Austin metro as Austin-Round Rock-Georgetown. Austin and Round Rock are 19 miles apart and Round Rock has 123,000 people.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    I always wonder why they never recognized a Oklahoma City-Norman Metropolitan area instead of Oklahoma City Metropolitan area. They are 20 miles apart and Norman is the 3rd largest city in the state with a major economic impact and urban center. Is it because Norman doesn't sprawl into a county outside of Cleveland? Like if it sprawled into McClain County that would give it more significance?

For example they identify Austin metro as Austin-Round Rock-Georgetown. Austin and Round Rock are 19 miles apart and Round Rock has 123,000 people.
    Norman has long been part of OKC's metropolitan area. Plus examples like Austin's and Atlanta's make it seem questionable throwing in extra names of suburbs, when none of the secondary areas named seem worth highlighting.
    The issue is not as much Normal does not sprawl more, the concept even date back before most US cities were even sprawling, though the name was coined around the time that started.
    Population and politics are the two ways they might get included, generally to be included it should have at least 1/3rd of the population of the metro, though there is an allowance for if enough people want it to be included up to three can be.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Norman is already part of OKC's metropolitan area.
    I think he's talking about the name the census gives the MSA, that Norman should be considered a second core city instead of a suburb, which I would agree with, and therefore the name should be The Oklahoma City-Norman MSA.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    I think he's talking about the name the census gives the MSA, that Norman should be considered a second core city instead of a suburb, which I would agree with, and therefore the name should be The Oklahoma City-Norman MSA.
    what is the threshold for this to happen?

Thread Information