Widgets Magazine
Page 77 of 124 FirstFirst ... 277273747576777879808182 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,925 of 3083

Thread: Population Growth for OKC

Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    San Francisco is a total of 47 square miles and completely maxed out in terms of development/space.

I'm very sure if you looked at the Bay Area as a whole, the numbers would be quite different.
    I corrected the numbers. In fact it is 352.

^

OKC's MSA is #41 in terms of population.

Therefore, people are moving from all those places to OKC at a rate lower than our population rank.

I think it's safe to say that during the pandemic, lots of people left California due to the strict lockdown and high cost of living. I would not want to bet that trend will continue for any sustained period.

No more posts about California population.

It's all thinly-veiled political stuff and that needs to be confined to the Politics forum.

4. Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

If we want to consider methods to boost our population growth, we need to consider strategies other than hoping someone wants to move to Oklahoma because our houses cost a bit less. We should consider accepting a larger number of refugees and immigrants fleeing political persecution in their home country.

I believe Oklahoma only typically takes around 500 refugees a year, which is about 1% of refugees entering the US. Of those, I'm not sure how many settle in OKC specifically. There are tens of thousands seeking to relocate to the US from around the world, including Iraq, Syria, China, Eritrea, and Burma. If we took in even 5,000 refugees/political immigrants a year, that would ultimately be a huge population boost and a welcome contribution to the culture of the city and state.

There are, of course, several considerations regarding our capacity to absorb that number of refugees, but none of them that impossible to overcome with appropriate planning, except, perhaps, the nativist objections that will inevitably arise. Among them: housing, cultural integration to prevent segregation as you see in parts of Europe, and job opportunities.

I could be mistaken but I believe refugee resettlement locations are under federal oversight. The states have zero say in this matter.

6. Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I could be mistaken but I believe refugee resettlement locations are under federal oversight. The states have zero say in this matter.
    You're correct that it's under federal oversight, but you are not correct that the states have zero say. The feds work with the states to determine where they go and one of the many factors in deciding is the state's willingness to take them.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    You're correct that it's under federal oversight, but you are not correct that the states have zero say. The feds work with the states to determine where they go and one of the many factors in deciding is the state's willingness to take them.
    Didn't we house a number of migrant children at Fort Sill?

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    NGO'S are who resettles refugees after they have passed medical and security screening. 45 tried to implement an EO giving states and localities veto power. This was thrown out by the 3rd Circut in Jan.

Interesting how OKC is starting to pop up on the fastest growing cities list:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/local/ar...s-16258720.php

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Interesting how OKC is starting to pop up on the fastest growing cities list:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/local/ar...s-16258720.php
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8589C51F-8AD6-4DB2-8862-6C75C495D321.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	16918Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8589C51F-8AD6-4DB2-8862-6C75C495D321.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	16918

Awesome!

Nice and steady growth. Nothing that will overwhelm the city in regards to traffic problems or explosive cost of living problems like in Denver, Portland, and Austin.

Blog Entries

The next time you're driving around the city has anyone noticed the number of Texas tags, Tribal tags and out-of state tags throughout our city.

Are Oklahomans driving to Texas to get there automobiles registered using relatives addresses or/are we experiencing a bit of an influx of people moving to OKC or back to Oklahoma from Texas.

Also are established parents with estates leaving property to their children who may be moving back b/c of the higher property taxes in Texas.

Also I've observed a number of tribal tags on display in our city. Keep your eyes on the road when driving; however when you come to a stop, see if you observe a variety of various tags throughout our city. Real head scratchier for me.

14. Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

I’m not noticing any more non-OKlahoma tags than usual. Tribal tags are very common, especially since tribal members can get their tags for free or at substantially reduced cost compared to state tags.

A couple weeks ago, I saw a good article about the migration patterns within the US that reminded me of the discussion on here regarding Californians moving to Oklahoma. The data shows that’s not happening, and that Californians leaving the big cities, like San Francisco, which is losing a lot of residents, are largely moving to suburbs/other locations within California. There was very little in-migration to Oklahoma.

15. Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

I noticed a lot during my April visit - we were one of the out of state plates btw.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

Haven't really studied the migration charts; however it seems as though what little growth Oklahoma experienced was in the Oklahoma City and Tulsa metropolitan areas.

Keep in mind also that there are a ton of people making up for lost time and going on road trips this summer, and this city gets a huge number of those people passing through given that we are criss-crossed by three major interstate highways (not to mention the historical Route 66 factor).

Bumping this as new census data is leaked. OKC is one of 14 cities nationwide that experienced a growth of 100,000+ in the last decade. Pretty good company to be in:

The OKC metro area grew by 172,000+ in the last decade.

https://www.census.gov/library/visua...tate-data.html

20. Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

Great news!

Reading a bit into a county by county detail it looks like a lot of growth in urban at the expense of rural counties. Interesting to see when the full report comes out and we figure out where the population came from overall.

A 200k jump in 10 years isn't great. Last census we had grown by ~300k (8.7%) but this time only ~200k (5.5%).
    Last edited by FighttheGoodFight; 08-12-2021 at 12:54 PM. Reason: didnt add .5%

OKC's population at the 2020 Census is 681,054 - an increase of 101,055 (+17.4%) from 2010.
    https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...homa/POP010220

Where's DCSooner ? lol

People don't understand how important this data is. A lot of investors, companies, etc. use this data to decide where to build homes/apartments and expand business operations. I think this next decade with be OKC's best yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Where's DCSooner ? lol
    Haters are always quiet when confronted with facts that directly contradict their world view.

Nice to see the city bounce back after almost re-naming the arena "Love's Travel Stops Arena." Was afraid we'd never recover.

Thread Information