Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111257107 ... LastLast

Thread: Population Growth for OKC

Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

Okc metro increased by 69k from 2010-2012. That's pretty impressive.

2. Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post

Also an interesting note for anyone who wants to see it

Special Report: 2013 Metropolitan Area Population Estimates | Newgeography.com
    Good catch, Mr. Panda.

Metro Area Population, Migration Data

Latest look at OKC metro area population increases | News OK

Population increased in the seven-county Oklahoma City metro area (Oklahoma, Cleveland, Canadian, McClain, Logan, Grady, Lincoln counties) by 66,685 residents between 2010-2013.

Oklahoma County, with 36,615 additional residents, accounted for more than half the increase.

I wish someone would put together a graph where these folks came from.

I think Oklahoma will need to have new leadership, especially Governor, to really sustain growth outside of what is currently being driven by the energy industry. Things like this minimum wage increase ban taking control from local governments (and giving the state another black eye) plus our continued reluctance to properly fund education and infrastructure will eventually cause problems. Now is the time to take the growth and really invest in the state. It won't last .

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    I think Oklahoma will need to have new leadership, especially Governor, to really sustain growth outside of what is currently being driven by the energy industry. Things like this minimum wage increase ban taking control from local governments (and giving the state another black eye) plus our continued reluctance to properly fund education and infrastructure will eventually cause problems. Now is the time to take the growth and really invest in the state. It won't last .
    Unfortunately I believe you are correct. Marry Fallin really needs to go. We need a more progressive governor and my only hope is the urban populations really start to get more power than the rural and we can shed off some of this conservatism that plagues Oklahoma with more progressive thinkers(keep in mind, I consider myself more of conservative than anything) and get these small town thinkers out of power.

Unfortunately I believe you are correct. Marry Fallin really needs to go. We need a more progressive governor and my only hope is the urban populations really start to get more power than the rural and we can shed off some of this conservatism that plagues Oklahoma with more progressive thinkers(keep in mind, I consider myself more of conservative than anything) and get these small town thinkers out of power.
    I agree, Mary Fallin is an embarassment. But I wanted to comment on the population charts. Clicking the link to newgeography, I found that all metropolitan areas listed except for one (Philadelaphia at -0.01%) have experienced popultion growth from 2010 to 2013. For example, New York has gained 400,000 residents since 2010. Think about that. New York City has absorbed nearly as many residents as the entire population of OKC - in three years. American cities and suburbs are growing, because the entire population of the country is growing. We have one of the higher birth rates in the developed world, we have a lot of immigrants, and domestically people are leaving small towns for big cities. We imagine that people are leaving New York, Chicago, Cleveland, and St. Louis, and Buffalo, but in fact all of those metropoliltan areas are growing.

So, I "assume" you are in favor of proper and properly maintained sidewalks to prevent and encourage the end or the beginning of the advance or decline of Urban Sprawl . . ?

Stick around for another 40 years, make careful observations, and then get back to me on your conclusions . . . =)

In the meanwhile . . . Carpe Diem.
    It's good for the soul.

(btw: define: "progressive" in terms of thinking and political reality. =)

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    In the meanwhile . . . Carpe Diem.
    It's good for the soul.
    Is that some kind of fish?

Quote Originally Posted by TaurusNYC View Post
    I agree, Mary Fallin is an embarassment. But I wanted to comment on the population charts. Clicking the link to newgeography, I found that all metropolitan areas listed except for one (Philadelaphia at -0.01%) have experienced popultion growth from 2010 to 2013. For example, New York has gained 400,000 residents since 2010. Think about that. New York City has absorbed nearly as many residents as the entire population of OKC - in three years. American cities and suburbs are growing, because the entire population of the country is growing. We have one of the higher birth rates in the developed world, we have a lot of immigrants, and domestically people are leaving small towns for big cities. We imagine that people are leaving New York, Chicago, Cleveland, and St. Louis, and Buffalo, but in fact all of those metropoliltan areas are growing.
    The data shown in the article actually showed overall population growth from 2010-2013 for every city on the list except for Buffalo and Cleveland. Philadelphia had a population growth of 1.06% over that time frame.

You're right that those cities all had overall population growth. But what that study shows as fact is that current US residents are leaving those cities more than other current US residents are moving there. Cities like NYC continue to grow because the rate of immigration and births are happening even faster. That doesn't change the fact that among current US residents who have the option, more people are choosing to leave than are choosing to arrive. Which is the whole point of the study.

Quote Originally Posted by TaurusNYC View Post
    Not to be contrarian, but NYC lost over a quarter million population in a combined 2005 and 2009 according to census records. I remember during the financial crisis, there were stories how they couldn't leave fast enough.

12. Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

If there are jobs and opportunities available, they will come. As far as a minimum wage ban, silly, but i doubt seriously anyone will base a decision to move here based on that. Businesses could very easily see it as a positive though most pay well over minimum anyway.

I will agree with you about education funding, however.

I agree with this. Oddly enough however, I don't see the kind of urban/rural political divide between OKC/Tulsa and rural Oklahoma that you see in other urban areas in other states. Any idea why?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I agree with this. Oddly enough however, I don't see the kind of urban/rural political divide between OKC/Tulsa and rural Oklahoma that you see in other urban areas in other states. Any idea why?
    It exists in almost every large metro that is located in a republican state, and even some that aren't. I would almost say that divide exists between EVERY large metro and its respective state, unless the city is in a state that is small enough that there aren't many rural areas to begin with.

Heck, the rural areas in Upstate NY feel just as "old-fashioned" or conservative as any rural area I've been to in KS or OK. But nobody thinks about that because when they think about NY all they think about are NYC and Rochester/Buffalo. Nobody thinks about the rural areas of NY and their political views. But just because people don't consciously think about the rural/urban relationship in other states doesn't mean that they are any different.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    It exists, it's just a little bit further to the right. OKC and Tulsa are more liberal than the surrounding rural areas. Not enough to make them vote Democrat, but they are more liberal.

Blog Entries

2013 Population estimates for Metropolitan Oklahoma City +5.32% (1,319,677)

List of Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.

It seems we will over take Memphis and perhaps Jacksonville soon if this keeps up.

Also, Raleigh is really kicking ass. What is going over there? I don't hear much about it. They might overtake OKC if we don't grow even faster...

18. Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

Research Triangle brought a ton of jobs and companies to Raleigh in the last 15 years. It might have slowed down a bit but that's the main reason for their high numbers

Blog Entries

It seems we will over take Memphis and perhaps Jacksonville soon if this keeps up.

Also, Raleigh is really kicking ass. What is going over there? I don't hear much about it. They might overtake OKC if we don't grow even faster...
    Raleigh will overtake a number of cities; their airport is undergoing over $500 million in expansion and improvements:

Terminal C Renovation and Expansion at RDU International Airport

"Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Raleigh will overtake a number of cities; their airport is undergoing over $500 million in expansion and improvements:

Terminal C Renovation and Expansion at RDU International Airport

Laramie, I believe that project was completed some time ago and it's now called Terminal 2. No matter, it is a beautiful facility and absolutely one of my favorite terminals. They did a wonderful job on it.

The Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill CSA functions as one metropolitan area. That area is neck and neck with Charlotte, though significantly less urban and centralized. It is really a true boomtown and is beyond comparison with OKC.

OKC will easily overtake Memphis and Jacksonville if trends continue.

North Carolina is attractive to people in the Midwest and Northeast. Lower cost of living and a healthy economy, and both mountains and ocean. They are like the Texas of the East Coast.

Quote Originally Posted by PWitty View Post
    The data shown in the article actually showed overall population growth from 2010-2013 for every city on the list except for Buffalo and Cleveland. Philadelphia had a population growth of 1.06% over that time frame.

You're right that those cities all had overall population growth. But what that study shows as fact is that current US residents are leaving those cities more than other current US residents are moving there. Cities like NYC continue to grow because the rate of immigration and births are happening even faster. That doesn't change the fact that among current US residents who have the option, more people are choosing to leave than are choosing to arrive. Which is the whole point of the study.
    Many people are just bailing due to the high costs of living -- which have always been high in NYC but have become almost unsustainably high, unless you're willing to share a one-bedroom with three people or you're making millions as a hedge fund broker.

NYC would continue to grow unimpeded but it's getting maxed out. Parts of Brooklyn are "gentrifying" but are surrounded by crime-ridden housing projects. There's just not much more left for average folks to afford.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Many people are just bailing due to the high costs of living -- which have always been high in NYC but have become almost unsustainably high, unless you're willing to share a one-bedroom with three people or you're making millions as a hedge fund broker.

NYC would continue to grow unimpeded but it's getting maxed out. Parts of Brooklyn are "gentrifying" but are surrounded by crime-ridden housing projects. There's just not much more left for average folks to afford.
    I made the majority of my money through stocks and bonds; and stockings and bondage.

North Carolina is attractive to people in the Midwest and Northeast. Lower cost of living and a healthy economy, and both mountains and ocean. They are like the Texas of the East Coast.
    Agree with this. Charlotte has the feel of a mini-Dallas and the Triangle is a mixture of Austin and San Jose.

Thread Information