Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 124 FirstFirst 1234567853103 ... LastLast

Thread: Population Growth for OKC

Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    OKC's growth continues to not impress. Still lags the cities that reflect a greater than 1.6% year to year increase. OKC still finds itself unable to capitalize on all the "good" economic news it has received. OKC continues to suffer from negative perceptions in a couple of areas, just not viewed as a "chic" city and its constant reference to itself as a great place to raise a family which to most younger people translates to "boring".
    Such sentiment is becoming so outdated. Oklahoma City isn't living in the 1980's and 1990's anymore.

with the added CC hotel, Sandridge Tower, and possible new skyscraper, all MAP3 projects finished up, and a population of 700,000, if all this is done by 2020, we will be in good shape!

3. Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

Very TRUE G.Walker, but it goes without saying, we can't stop moving forward.

Oklahoma City's July 1, 2011 population estimate was 591,967 - up 11,968 from the April 1, 2010 census. OKC's urban area population at the 2010 census was 861,505 within 410.6 square miles (density of 2,098/sq mi). Norman's 2010 urban area population was 103,898 within 44.9 square miles (density of 2,314/sq mi); that's a combined urban area population of 965,403 within 455.5 square miles (density of 2,119/sq mi).

OKC's July 1, 2011 metro area population estimate was 1,278,053 - up 25,066 from the 2010 census.

I also found this article that lists metro area population estimates as of January 15, 2012:
    http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjourna...71386485315530

OKC's January 15, 2012 metro area population estimate was 1,287,922 - up 34,935 from the 2010 census.

I was just looking at the numbers and noticed that unless our population growth slows significantly, we should reach 600,000 not counting the metro area this year, 2012. If you look at the official census numbers in 2010, our population was 579,999. The official estimates for 2011 was 591,967, a growth of 11,968 in one year. If the growth stayed the same this year, our population would be 603,935. These results will not be shown until sometime next year (July). I think this is quite a milestone. I know growth rates can decrease but they can also increase. If the numbers stayed the same as they were in 2011, we would hit 700,000 at 2021. At our current rate of growth, and Memphis rate, our metro should pass them within five years. Of course we know these rates of growth can change but it is still pretty cool.

If we can keep growing by 2% every year (that will be hard to sustain) then we'd be at 750k by 2023. It would be nice to be at 750k by at least 2025 and have the metro at 1.5+ Million by the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    If we can keep growing by 2% every year (that will be hard to sustain) then we'd be at 750k by 2023. It would be nice to be at 750k by at least 2025 and have the metro at 1.5+ Million by the same time.
    That is a great size for a city and a metropolitan area. Everything after that is gravy.

I would expect our population to continue to grow at a decent clip over the next four years:

Factors:

1. Strong local economy
    2. Low unemployment
    3. Increased national awareness
    4. Influx of new jobs / opportunities from multiple employers
    5. Hitting a "tipping point" or critical mass of sorts due to quality of life improvements, national credibility, etc.

Imagine how much more attractive OKC will be as a destination for newcomers once this downtown / midtown renaissance is in full flower, with the street car, completion of new housing, more restaurants, retail, big-city cultural amenities, etc. Don't forget our clarion call over the last decade: build a city where people want to live. Well that work is under way, but it is still a work in progress, and it has yet to pay the full dividends.

I'm thinking about the fabulous recent New York Times Magazine article that truly portrayed what's happening here in a way I've never before seen a major media organization do. There will be more articles like that, but they'll have more to tell about our city. We truly are on the cusp of an exponential spike in desirability / hipness that is only now starting to emerge. This will increase the pace of population growth, in my opinion. I saw it happen in Austin and other cities and barring an epic collapse in our local economy, it's going to happen here (and in some ways already is). Best days are still ahead for OKC.

I just hope we experience a pretty decent population boom in the VERY near future. That would help a lot I think.

9. Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

2012 Population Estimates released. OKC Metro +20,744 to 1,296,565.

Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Areas Totals: Vintage 2012 - U.S Census Bureau

OKC metro area growth has slowed, compared to growth from July 2010 - July 2011. This new growth is mediocre, no boom.

11. Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    OKC metro area growth has slowed, compared to growth from July 2010 - July 2011. This new growth is mediocre, no boom.
    No. It hasn't. It has increased. You're looking at growth from April 2010 - July 2011 and comparing it to July 2011 - July2012. Look at the spreadsheet.

Oh ok, you are right...well good deal then, my mistake, lol.

What I like is the growth from April 2010 - July 2012, +43,573 at 3.5%...that's pretty good...

OKC needs to overcome its image issues if there is to ever be a serious population boom. I imagine our city's growth will slow as the national economy improves and people aren't moving here for the sole reason of escaping the recession. The media still dogs OKC for the most part as being a backwater, cowboy town. Even with all the improvements, OKC still lags its peer cities and even smaller cities in many areas. OKC needs to continue what it's doing as far as downtown and urban revitalization but also bring in more white collar jobs. I am hoping the rumor is true about a corporate relocation to OKC because that's just what this city needs, especially with all the problems at Chesapeake and Sandridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Decious View Post
    No. It hasn't. It has increased. You're looking at growth from April 2010 - July 2011 and comparing it to July 2011 - July2012. Look at the spreadsheet.
    Yep, growth accelerated somewhat. The increased from 2010 to 2011 was about +17,900. Depending on how you measure, that puts us in the top 12-15% of MSA's for growth. I'll take that.

One bad note, the CSA's growth (OKC-Shawnee) is actually slower than OKC's MSA growth. So Pottawatomie County needs to get it in gear LOL.

Tulsa MSA's growth continues to unimpress, growing about +6,494, or about 0.69%. That's less than half of OKC. Fortunately for them, the Census Bureau has changed their definitions of CSA's and theirs now includes Muskogee, so their overall population sits at 1.122 million.

EDIT: On a somewhat related note, Dallas-Fort Worth has now officially spilled into Oklahoma, with the addition of Durant into their CSA.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Yep, growth accelerated somewhat. The increased from 2010 to 2011 was about +17,900. Depending on how you measure, that puts us in the top 12-15% of MSA's for growth. I'll take that.

One bad note, the CSA's growth (OKC-Shawnee) is actually slower than OKC's MSA growth. So Pottawatomie County needs to get it in gear LOL.

Tulsa MSA's growth continues to unimpress, growing about +6,494, or about 0.69%. That's less than half of OKC. Fortunately for them, the Census Bureau has changed their definitions of CSA's and theirs now includes Muskogee, so their overall population sits at 1.122 million.
    I don't see a problem with Shawnee limping along growth-wise. If Shawnee has a boom it will likely be at a cost to OKC, similar to Little Rock's situation with nearby Conway.

Compared to our peer metro areas like Memphis, Louisville, Tampa, Richmond, Tulsa, and Omaha...the OKC metro area is growing at a faster rate, which is good. We are not booming yet, but I like the steady growth pattern.

More importantly, OKC's net domestic migration is about +10,265 just for this year. That's very good and indicative that the population increase is actually people moving here, not just from more births or international immigration.

I'm interested to see where people are coming from.

Oklahoma's biggest micropolitan area, Stillwater, is still growing, but not very impressively. Is it considered too far away to be added into Oklahoma City?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Oklahoma's biggest micropolitan area, Stillwater, is still growing, but not very impressively. Is it considered too far away to be added into Oklahoma City?
    Not necessarily. It's calculated based on commute patterns. If enough people commute to OKC from Stillwater, then it could be added to the MSA. As far as I know though, Stillwater pretty much stands on its own and is not a bedroom community for OKC or Tulsa.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Not necessarily. It's calculated based on commute patterns. If enough people commute to OKC from Stillwater, then it could be added to the MSA. As far as I know though, Stillwater pretty much stands on its own and is not a bedroom community for OKC or Tulsa.
    If Durant can be included in DFW's CSA at 95 miles away then I don't see why Stillwater won't be added eventually. Which CSA claims it though, Tulsa or OKC? They are nearly equidistant from each other and Payne Co. is bordered by counties in both CSA's.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    If Durant can be included in DFW's CSA at 95 miles away then I don't see why Stillwater won't be added eventually. Which CSA claims it though, Tulsa or OKC? They are nearly equidistant from each other and Payne Co. is bordered by counties in both CSA's.
    Tulsa & OKC can grow into one big city & Stillwater can be a part if that mega city.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    Tulsa & OKC can grow into one big city & Stillwater can be a part if that mega city.
    I asked about that awhile back and apparently that has been addressed on this board. I think most on here were against the notion saying that it will not ever happen due to the gap. I think it could, but after some thinking, I firmly believe it will never share the relationship nor have the infill density that Dallas has with Fort Worth. Also as a few have pointed out, the cities are kind of growing in the opposite direction.

Also, I've been meaning to start a thread asking what Oklahoma town has the could, potential or is most likely (best candidate), to become another "major" city 500,000< besides Tulsa and OKC. Unless some pop up city sprang up the extreme southwest, southeast, or in the panhandle, it could also be included in the fantasized OKC-Tulsa Metroplex. So, I would be kind of weird to me. Plus, the only cities I was thinking of were either Stillwater or Lawton. I suppose Ardmore could. I did read the the Woodward-Elk City-Weatherford micropolitian area is growing at a pretty fast rate. I know this would be waaaaaaaaaaay down the road, but again, this was just a speculation/fantasy kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Also, I've been meaning to start a thread asking what Oklahoma town has the could, potential or is most likely (best candidate), to become another "major" city 500,000< besides Tulsa and OKC. Unless some pop up city sprang up the extreme southwest, southeast, or in the panhandle, it could also be included in the fantasized OKC-Tulsa Metroplex. So, I would be kind of weird to me. Plus, the only cities I was thinking of were either Stillwater or Lawton. I suppose Ardmore could. I did read the the Woodward-Elk City-Weatherford micropolitian area is growing at a pretty fast rate. I know this would be waaaaaaaaaaay down the road, but again, this was just a speculation/fantasy kind of thing.
    Might as well have included Enid as well.

Stillwater should have more luck in attracting industry than it does. It has a very reliable water supply not effected by droughts. It's electrical power supply seems quite reliable as well. And there's always new college graduates every year. Maybe Stillwater government and chamber of commerce leaders need to take a close look at what other college towns are doing that are making them grow faster.

Thread Information