Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 124 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171863113 ... LastLast

Thread: Population Growth for OKC

Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

You know OKC development is slow when we are discussing freeway signage, wow....

Quote Originally Posted by modernism View Post
    You know OKC development is slow when we are discussing freeway signage, wow....
    There has been a slew of disappointing news lately. Hopefully things will pick back up in the positive direction.

How have things been slow? I frankly can't keep up with all the stuff being proposed/built.

4. Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    ^ but doesn't Dallas use 'Denton' on I-35 there instead of Oklahoma City as it's control city?
    No. When you leave downtown Dallas, when exiting onto northbound I-35, both Oklahoma City and Denton are signed. There are two more interstate signs that direct to Oklahoma City, once when you leave Carrolton, and again between Lewisville and Denton.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

Quote Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
    No. When you leave downtown Dallas, when exiting onto northbound I-35, both Oklahoma City and Denton are signed. There are two more interstate signs that direct to Oklahoma City, once when you leave Carrolton, and again between Lewisville and Denton.
    That sounds right. As I explained in my post earlier, Texas has switched to doing control cities like most other states rather than simply pointing to the next sizable town whether its important or not. My guess is the newer signage in DFW, in Clearview font, shows Denton and Oklahoma City as the control cities while the old signage shows only Denton.

In St. Louis, the signs on I-44 West reference Tulsa. I always thought this was weird - it should have been Oklahoma City or maybe Springfield.

No offense to the smaller cities; didn't Saint Louis used to have I-44 showing "Oklahoma City" as a control point once-upon-a-time.
    I was recently in St. Louis. The signs on I-44 show Tulsa, on I-55 show Chicago/Memphis, on I-70 show Kansas City/Indianapolis and I-64 show Louisville. No small cities. Though in Tulsa I-44 shows Joplin instead of St Louis. That would be like having Ardmore instead of Dallas on the I-35 signs in OKC.

I-40 with Amarillo/Ft Smith, I-35 with Dallas/Wichita and I-44 with Lawton/Tulsa all make sense to me. Or be like Chicago and have the signs just show Texas, Kansas or Arkansas (their signs north and eastbound show Wisconsin and Indiana).

while that doesn't mean development in OKC is slow because we're discussing freeway signage. They were discussing freeway signs in the Dallas forum earlier this year, and development isn't slow in Dallas.

I agree with Bcrhis though, there has been some sh*tty news lately.

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    In St. Louis, the signs on I-44 West reference Tulsa. I always thought this was weird - it should have been Oklahoma City or maybe Springfield.
    Tulsa is probably the right choice being that its a prominent urban area and the next one you'll hit if you leave St. Louis on I-44 westbound. Springfield is pretty much just an excuse to stop for gas and Mickey D's on your way to somewhere else. Branson is the real destination in that part of Missouri. I do believe the signs in St. Louis point to Tulsa but along most of that stretch Springfield is the control city followed by Joplin going westbound.

I'm not sure what sh*tty news you are referring to. The boulevard?

Seems to me like there's progress all over downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    I'm not sure what sh*tty news you are referring to. The boulevard?

Seems to me like there's progress all over downtown.
    BLVD, Producers Coop, AICC, NIMBY's idiots trying to stop awesome developments like Guyutes, and not to mention the capitol pretty much countering everything nice we try to do for ourselves in Oklahoma. The tower news on Reno and Walker seemed to fizzle. The Stage Center Tower will likely be small.

It isn't all that bad and I mainly hate the news about the COOP, that really sucks. There is a lot going on and obviously the population stats are good news. I don't know... just seems like a slew of bad news has come out lately. Doesn't mean development is slowing down, just some big hampers in development to overcome now.

Do you know how many real estate deals and other projects fall through in other cities?

With the exception of the AICC nothing you mentioned is any more than just the normal churn of proposals and developments.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    There has been a slew of disappointing news lately. Hopefully things will pick back up in the positive direction.
    The title of this discussion thread is: "Population Growth for OKC".
    Where is it written that a simple increase in population is a good thing? (or vice-versa)

At some point doesn't the quality of life, for "the pre-survey population" suffer?

At least without a firm commitment to a real, non-partisan, viable vision for the future--one that isn't centered, simply, on how much [imaginary] money can be gleaned from uncontrolled "de-velopment" (and sprawl/etc.)? (vis-a-vis Population Growth without proper infrastructure maintenance and improvements) . . ?

^ but doesn't Dallas use 'Denton' on I-35 there instead of Oklahoma City as it's control city?

Is Denton that large/important of a city for a major Interstate to have it as a designation? Is Denton larger or more important than Oklahoma City? Isn't Denton part of the DFW metroplex - so why are they using it as a control city on a major interstate (I could understand I-135 or some spur freeway, but I-35?). With this the case, OKC should use Norman as a control then Denton as you go south.

^^ does I-40 go through Little Rock? I thought it went through North Little Rock and even then it didn't have a huge presence, with Little Rock itself served by spurs (I-440, I-640) and I-30 (I-630), iirc. Honestly, it should say Memphis (and in Memphis should say OKC) imo and I-40W should say ABQ since those are the major city pairs.

No offense to the smaller cities; didn't Saint Louis used to have I-44 showing "Oklahoma City" as a control point once-upon-a-time.

I've observed that Wichita is one city that gives OKC huge props as a control point within their freeway system. ... Honestly, I'd rename the Ft smith junction to the Wichita junction since it is I-40 converging with I-35, and Wichita is the largest city heading outside of that junction. But as others have said, junction really official to my knowledge and is only used by the media.
    If there was one called the Wichita Junction, it seems like it should be where i35 & i44 meet, though with it having routes to both that and Tulsa it is not as clean cut for naming.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Do you know how many real estate deals and other projects fall through in other cities?

With the exception of the AICC nothing you mentioned is any more than just the normal churn of proposals and developments.
    who cares? I'm not talking about other cities! I'm talking about OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    The title of this discussion thread is: "Population Growth for OKC".
    Where is it written that a simple increase in population is a good thing? (or vice-versa)

At some point doesn't the quality of life, for "the pre-survey population" suffer?

At least without a firm commitment to a real, non-partisan, viable vision for the future--one that isn't centered, simply, on how much [imaginary] money can be gleaned from uncontrolled "de-velopment" (and sprawl/etc.)? (vis-a-vis Population Growth without proper infrastructure maintenance and improvements) . . ?
    A lot of threads have a bunch of different titles.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Care to elaborate? You're slipping into Debby Downer mode again....

18. Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    The tower news on Reno and Walker seemed to fizzle.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there was ever an announcement of a possible tower at Reno and Walker? The poster of the same name said that there would be "bigs news for Reno and Walker", but then he followed that up with "see you all in the funny papers". So FWIW, I don't think that post was meant as legitimate news.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    A lot of threads have a bunch of different titles.
    Agreed. Perhaps I misread the actual Subject implied by the Title. Perhaps "Population Growth" didn't refer to more People, rather, it referred to Growth within the existing Population. (e.g.--for example--a general agreement to stop watering pet lawns, walk more and/or ride bicycles or buses. =)

In other words . . . Growth Within the Existing Population is Preferable to More People With and/or For No Reason At All.
    (well . . . ain't it? =)

p.s. There are few things more Debbie Downerish than a Fizzling Tower. Especially a Fizziling Mystery Tower. =)

Isn't there a main and Hudson tower in the horizon? Pretty sure Steve said talks are pretty hot right now for that development.

That is being heavily rumored.

22. Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

I came here to read about population growth...

23. Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    I came here to read about population growth...
    +1

In case anyone is curious, OKC ranks 7th in population growth compared to the top 50 largest cities.

#OKC Boxscore for Monday, May 26, 2014 | News OK
    Oklahoma City makes the top 10 in a new list of the fastest-growing large American cities. According to U.S. Census estimates, Oklahoma City added 10,934 residents between July 2012 and July 2013. The growth rate was 1.8 percent, good for seventh on the list. Seattle’s growth rate tops the list of large cities:

•Seattle: 2.8 percent

•Denver: 2.4 percent

•Charlotte, N.C.: 2.4 percent

•Austin, Texas: 2.4 percent

•Washington, D.C.: 2.1 percent

•Fort Worth, Texas: 1.9 percent

•Oklahoma City: 1.8 percent

•San Antonio: 1.8 percent

•Phoenix: 1.7 percent

•San Jose, Calif.: 1.6 percent

In the Oklahoma City metro area, Norman was the fastest-growing suburb, ranking first in Oklahoma and 20th nationally among cities with 100,000 or more residents with a growth rate of 2.2 percent. Norman added an estimated 2,554 residents to reach a population of 118,197. The nation’s fastest-growing city was Frisco, Texas, north of Dallas. Frisco grew 6.5 percent in a year.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    In case anyone is curious, OKC ranks 7th in population growth compared to the top 50 largest cities.

#OKC Boxscore for Monday, May 26, 2014 | News OK
    Frisco is insane. It seems like in the 90's it was what Far North OKC is today out around Portland. I wonder if North OKC will become like Frisco... that would be pretty neat in my book.

Thread Information