Widgets Magazine
Page 105 of 124 FirstFirst ... 555100101102103104105106107108109110 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 3083

Thread: Population Growth for OKC

Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

Premiums for homeowners insurance are the highest in the country. Full goverage auto insurance is 38% higher than the national average. Not everything is cheaper here

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Premiums for homeowners insurance are the highest in the country. Full goverage auto insurance is 38% higher than the national average. Not everything is cheaper hete
    Plus the median income is still below the national average, so the longer you are on an Oklahoma wage, the more money you are leaving on the table. Of course, if you can't afford housing in any of the high earner states, the point is moot.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    Plus the median income is still below the national average, so the longer you are on an Oklahoma wage, the more money you are leaving on the table. Of course, if you can't afford housing in any of the high earner states, the point is moot.
    Life is how you make it in Oklahoma. If young and struggling with a low paying job, then it's up to you to find or get prepared for a higher paying job. Those you don't follow that advice figure in bringing down the quality-of-life statistics for Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by shavethewhales View Post
    In addition to rising prices and lack of housing opportunity, there are other issues such as constant wildfires in the west, major droughts, changes to VISA requirements and college acceptance, etc. Lots of things to analyze beyond red vs. blue.

At the end of the day though it is amazing that people are choosing to move to OK. Housing aside, it's not THAT much cheaper to live here after you factor in all the taxes. The quality of life here is often much lower than other places unless you live in the heart of OKC or Tulsa and seek things out. Education in this state is circling the drain and getting worse all the time. I have often presumed that our failing schools will eventually be the death of the state, but it hasn't happened yet obviously.
    "Education in this state is circling the drain and getting worse all the time." At least there is a rare exception to that rule in Stillwater. In recent years it has replaced all of its older elementary schools with new ones, three altogether. Next big school project there is to replace the old high school with a new one from getting a $195 million bond issue voter approved in Feb. 2023.

I believe Edmond and Norman schools are highly regarded and far from circling the drain.

5. Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    For those of us who would like to stay, we would rather not have people move in who have little to contribute whose personal politics are stifling to economic and social progress and competing in the real world, and who do not believe in education or the arts either. Or those who believe freedom, independence and choice is only for them and their tribe.
    None of the people who lean towards the red side of the ledger or are firmly red do not fit your description in my experience. Mobility is a free market component.

Quote Originally Posted by poe View Post
    Moved to OKC in August to take a new job and I’m so glad I did. After spending 21 years in Texas, I was over it for various reasons. None of the large cities in Texas appeal to me the way OKC does, and the transition from Texas to Oklahoma was very easy.
    It's great to hear that! Too bad, though, you'll have to become familiar with paying Oklahoma income taxes. With Oklahoma state legislators, so far, finding it too much of a challenge from being able to figure out how to abolish sales taxes on groceries and restaurant meals, I sure don't expect them to abolish the Oklahoma state income tax anytime soon. At least it isn't as much as in many other states. State legislature might at least be able to reduce it a little in 2023. I tend to believe that Oklahoma needs to abolish the state income tax to compete better with other states, such as Texas. But figuring out how to make up for lost revenue is a big challenge. Taxing services isn't seen as a popular option.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    There could be hundreds of reasons why. The statement red states growing blue states shrinking is true for 19/20 on that list. (Louisiana being the exception).

It's also interesting Oklahoma grew more than Colorado or Oregon last year. Two states i often hear people compare OK against.
    A lot of people, while greatly driving up the cost of living, move to Colorado and Oregon, due to the great mountain scenery. From there you got great hiking during the summer and great skiing during the winter. Mt. Hood looks nice from Portland, OR.

Years ago, after visiting Colorado Springs, I was so impressed by the awesome scenery of Pikes Peak, along with the Garden of the Gods, I considered moving there but didn't. I was just too much of an Oklahoma homebody at heart. I didn't want a total upheaval of my native Oklahoma roots. Nobody else in my family did. Anyway, if by now, more people are finding the high cost of living in or moving to mountain scenery too high to accept, I'm not too surprised. A lot of people in California are also finding the high cost of living close to mountain scenery as well as Pacific beaches too much to live with, let alone outsiders to move to.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Things are more expensive in those particular blue states. Taxes are higher, gas prices are higher. So while there are benefits to living there socially, tminflation over the last 1.5 years has driven people to cheaper states, where they have more buying power. Ideally, they would turn the state purple, but not enough young liberals in Oklahoma vote. So it has stayed red.
    Actually, not enough young people in OK vote, period - completely pathetic.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/state-an...b3f2989fe.html

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post

Fair point. I do hope more young people vote, Republicans and Democrats. I may be slightly liberal, but I want the future of this country to use their right to vote, even if it doesn't go my way.

10. Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    A lot of people, while greatly driving up the cost of living, move to Colorado and Oregon, due to the great mountain scenery. From there you got great hiking during the summer and great skiing during the winter. Mt. Hood looks nice from Portland, OR.

Years ago, after visiting Colorado Springs, I was so impressed by the awesome scenery of Pikes Peak, along with the Garden of the Gods, I considered moving there but didn't. I was just too much of an Oklahoma homebody at heart. I didn't want a total upheaval of my native Oklahoma roots. Nobody else in my family did. Anyway, if by now, more people are finding the high cost of living in or moving to mountain scenery too high to accept, I'm not too surprised. A lot of people in California are also finding the high cost of living close to mountain scenery as well as Pacific beaches too much to live with, let alone outsiders to move to.
    and taxes, and crime, and homelessness and crazy laws and regulations.

Im just glad the state’s population is increasing and not decreasing. *shrugs*

It's great to hear that! Too bad, though, you'll have to become familiar with paying Oklahoma income taxes. With Oklahoma state legislators, so far, finding it too much of a challenge from being able to figure out how to abolish sales taxes on groceries and restaurant meals, I sure don't expect them to abolish the Oklahoma state income tax anytime soon. At least it isn't as much as in many other states. State legislature might at least be able to reduce it a little in 2023. I tend to believe that Oklahoma needs to abolish the state income tax to compete better with other states, such as Texas. But figuring out how to make up for lost revenue is a big challenge. Taxing services isn't seen as a popular option.
    Oklahoma already has a lower overall tax burden than Texas even with a state income tax.

"Education in this state is circling the drain and getting worse all the time." At least there is a rare exception to that rule in Stillwater. In recent years it has replaced all of its older elementary schools with new ones, three altogether. Next big school project there is to replace the old high school with a new one from getting a $195 million bond issue voter approved in Feb. 2023.

I believe Edmond and Norman schools are highly regarded and far from circling the drain.
    I've lived in 17 states.
    Every single one of them has this attitude. Every. Single. One.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    I've lived in 17 states.
    Every single one of them has this attitude. Every. Single. One.
    Attitudes don't count quite as much as facts do, and that quote actually has quite a bit of reality behind it - education funding cuts (both higher and K-12) in OK are horrible:

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/ed...e0119c83c.html

https://okpolicy.org/oklahoma-among-...test-barriers/

Does voting actually matter? I've been alive over 40 years and it hasn't mattered which party is in control, the big government, more taxes war machine rolls on. NEITHER party gives a rip about the common man. Dems and repubs are both scum

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread. Just everyday I'm alive the more I realize what I said above is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Thatguy15 View Post
    Does voting actually matter? I've been alive over 40 years and it hasn't mattered which party is in control, the big government, more taxes war machine rolls on. NEITHER party gives a rip about the common man. Dems and repubs are both scum

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread. Just everyday I'm alive the more I realize what I said above is true.
    Yeah, I actually kinda agree, but I still vote in every election I'm eligible to (and have for 39 years) - sometimes it matters, but pretty much only locally and not in the great scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by poe View Post
    Moved to OKC in August to take a new job and I’m so glad I did. After spending 21 years in Texas, I was over it for various reasons. None of the large cities in Texas appeal to me the way OKC does, and the transition from Texas to Oklahoma was very easy.
    I have to agree. Austin at one time would have been a terrific place to live, but it is just insanely expensive now. If you can afford $1 million for a ranch home I guess it's still a very nice place to live.

Dallas has a lot going for it but it's just never felt as warm as OKC and it's certainly not as earthy as OKC.

The only city in Texas that kind of weirdly seems like it would be a good place to live is San Antonio, but I would hate to live someplace where my property taxes may dramatically go up year after year.

We do have extremely low property taxes here, and, at least income tax is based on what you actually make. Texas just fees people to death and confiscates massive sums of money though property taxes. I know people who could no longer afford their property taxes on homes they could easily afford the mortgage for in Texas, so they had to sell their homes.

if you make 300k or more a year then the lack of a state income tax in Texas suddenly negates the concern over the confiscatory property taxes.

Yes, it does. There are often dramatically different candidates with dramatically different character who want to do dramatically different things. Some of the things they want to do are bad. Some of them are good.

Perhaps your life is so secure you don't face imminent threats to your safety, so you see all pols as the same. Whenever someone says this it tells me they have surface-level information about competing candidates and ideas.

It is also indicates that you may not recognize things that have been accomplished by elected officials that are good, and there are many examples throughout history.

In the larger view, different policies produce different results, and some are superior to others. So, you should always vote for the best candidate with the highest degree of personal character, because we need good people in office. This is a non-partisan statement.

Attitudes don't count quite as much as facts do, and that quote actually has quite a bit of reality behind it - education funding cuts (both higher and K-12) in OK are horrible:

The point is it's not a unique thought or factor. Everywhere thinks their education system sucks.

In reality they're all about the same and home life is the determining factor.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Yes, it does. There are often dramatically different candidates with dramatically different character who want to do dramatically different things. Some of the things they want to do are bad. Some of them are good.

Perhaps your life is so secure you don't face imminent threats to your safety, so you see all pols as the same. Whenever someone says this it tells me they have surface-level information about competing candidates and ideas.

It is also indicates that you may not recognize things that have been accomplished by elected officials that are good, and there are many examples throughout history.

In the larger view, different policies produce different results, and some are superior to others. So, you should always vote for the best candidate with the highest degree of personal character, because we need good people in office. This is a non-partisan statement.
    I can almost agree with all of this. The problem, though, is all the politicians whether good or bad people become major scum once they get to Washington. I think the solution to our problems, and this was somewhat mentioned above, is local elections. Vote your ass off in local elections and turn your school board, city, county, state whichever way you want it (Blue or Red) and hopefully eliminate most of the dependence on the Federal Govt.

Blog Entries

IThe problem, though, is all the politicians whether good or bad people become major scum once they get to Washington. I think the solution to our problems, and this was somewhat mentioned above, is local elections. Vote your ass off in local elections and turn your school board, city, county, state whichever way you want it (Blue or Red) and hopefully eliminate most of the dependence on the Federal Govt.
    I doubt you have much actual knowledge of what any of your or other politicians in Washington actually do or who they really are. Your broad-brush condemnation and cynicism is lazy. It is easier to lump everyone together and damn them than to actually analyze good and bad. This is the way things are in our society today.... damn the institutions, damn the people who look different, damn the people who are from a different place, damn the people who think differently than me. Lump everyone together and excuse yourself for not knowing anything about them individually.

Eliminate dependance on Federal Govt. LOL. People ignore the infrastructure that allows them to grow and prosper and protects them from foreign AND DOMESTIC threats. They want to be protected from predator businesses and unethical organizations. They forget what actually protects and enables them.... until they need something from them. If you think your school board and county commissioners are going to lead you... well heaven help you.

As for cutting higher education funding, I think state legislators are expecting alumni to fork over the money to fund the construction of new buildings and other expenses. As for OSU's New Frontiers Agriculture Hall now under construction, more than 87 percent of the $50 million fundraising goal had been met as of last spring with the support of more than 330 generous donors. The campaign kicked off in January 2020 with a lead gift of $25 million to the building project from Kayleen and Larry Ferguson and the Ferguson Family Foundation. The Fergusons joined fellow Cornerstone Donors — those who committed to gifts of $1 million or more — at the event to participate in the ceremonial groundbreaking. Fundraising for the $100 million facility continues, and a variety of naming opportunities within the building remain available. But for all I know that is nothing new and is how OSU has secured funding for its new buildings for many decades. These days more alumni have grown older and have more money to give than ever before. As a reflection of how that seems to be, OSU's new business building certainly looks a lot more impressive than the bland looking old one built during the 1960s.

But it surely makes Oklahoma look even worse for not providing adequate funding for grades K-12. Maybe I missed it, but never heard of graduates of high schools and elementary schools wanting to help fund to replace their old schools with new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    and taxes, and crime, and homelessness and crazy laws and regulations.
    But after all of the above, oddly enough in states ranked for happiness, California is ranked no. 6, while Oklahoma is way down there at no. 48. Another survey puts California at no. 14 and Oklahoma no. 45. Surely California people are mighty happy with their great year-round weather, gorgeous mountain scenery, beaches and great wineries.

https://usabynumbers.com/states-rank...more%20rows%20

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I doubt you have much actual knowledge of what any of your or other politicians in Washington actually do or who they really are. Your broad-brush condemnation and cynicism is lazy. It is easier to lump everyone together and damn them than to actually analyze good and bad. This is the way things are in our society today.... damn the institutions, damn the people who look different, damn the people who are from a different place, damn the people who think differently than me. Lump everyone together and excuse yourself for not knowing anything about them individually.

Eliminate dependance on Federal Govt. LOL. People ignore the infrastructure that allows them to grow and prosper and protects them from foreign AND DOMESTIC threats. They want to be protected from predator businesses and unethical organizations. They forget what actually protects and enables them.... until they need something from them. If you think your school board and county commissioners are going to lead you... well heaven help you.
    Maybe you can change my mind. Name one politician who has made YOUR life better with his or her legislation. Be VERY specific with your example(s). Because I can name 100 who have made mine worse with highly specific examples and bills.

Blog Entries

Maybe you can change my mind. Name one politician who has made YOUR life better with his or her legislation. Be VERY specific with your example(s). Because I can name 100 who have made mine worse with highly specific examples and bills.
    As appealing as your challenge is, it’s another fools game invitation. I refuse to wrestle in the mud for no purpose.

Thread Information