Now that Devon Tower is topped out OKC is sure to be getting a lot of recognition around the country because of this gleaming new tower. By my lurking here it is obvious that Devon is simply the most visible of loads on great developments.

Omaha doesn't have anything Devonesque(that makes sense right?), but we are still churning out some really exciting projects right now.

SUBURBS

Werner Park

This is the first year at this new $36 million minor league specify ballpark. Attendance has been fantastic averaging just under 6,000 a game. Plus the Storm Chasers are poised for a post season berth for the first time since '99.

The biggest bummer about the ballpark is that it is smack in the middle of corn fields. There is a plan to change that though.

Pennant Place

This is a very long term project though. Probably 2020 until it starts to resemble the plan laid out.

Outlets at Southport

A new $100+ million Cordish development. It includes a new outlet mall and 60,000sq ft entertainment destination.

Crossroads Mall redevelopment--"University Village"

It will convert a completely dead indoor mall into a mixed use area geared towards the college crowd.

The plan includes 500 apartments on top of the old Dillard's building(I am really interested to see how that happens.) A new city library and transit center are included as well.

Some big time names have been floated. H&M, Apple, Trader Joe's, and REI.

LaVista's Golden Mile

LaVista(a Omaha suburb) is working on turning their main strip from big box stores into this amazing mixed use project. The future for suburbs in my opinion.

TD Ameritrade Headquarters

And finally our current tallest U/C in Omaha.

The 230 foot 12 floor building in west Omaha has topped out and will become the tallest building west of 52nd Street in Omaha.

URBAN

Northern Natural Gas Building

This 260 foot office building has sat empty for the past decade after First National Bank moved into their new tower. It will undergo a $30 million renovation to convert it into 180-200 high end apartments.

The Art Deco's

These rundown apartment buildings in midtown are undergoing a $10 million renovation. This long neglected area is about to take off for the city the 8 building complex should go from this...

Back to their heyday 80 years ago.

Old Market Hyatt

This 11 story hotel includes integrated parking and street level retail. It will be right in the middle of the "Old Market." The tallest buildings in the Old Market are about 6 floors so this building should have an amazing presence in the area.

Old Market Apartment Buildings

Two apartment buildings will be built in the Old Market. One on a vacant lot and one will be where a car wash currently stands(yes Omaha had a car wash a block away from its major entertainment district ).

Aksarben Village

A huge mixed use development that is about half way done and is being completed in phases.

BCBS opened a new 10 story building. HDR architecture moved into a new building there as well. The development includes a movie theater, restaurants, retail, offices, grocery store, apartments and coming soon condos.

The new park along with the project has hosted multiple music festivals this summer because of the flooding by the river.

UNO also finished 400 new dorm rooms right next to the development, providing a lot of foot traffic for the area.

North Downtown Zesto's

Zesto's, a CWS tradition, is building a new location directly across the street from TD Ameritrade Park. It is supposed to be ready for next years CWS. It looks like the fanciest ice cream shop that I have ever seen.

Riverfront Place

This photo is a little old, but I could find a good one of both of the towers completed.

The 2nd condo tower on the river is complete and residents are moving in.

TD Ameritrade Park

The place has been open for a while now, but it is our $131 million crown jewel right now.

Events

Omaha has a few big time events in the coming year as well.

2012 US Olympic Swim Trials at the CenturyLink Center.
CWS obviously.
2013 US Senior Open is being held at Omaha Country Club.
2013 US Figure Skating Championships.
Rumored Lady Gaga wedding at the CenturyLink Center, knock it if you want but I can only imagine the economic impact that could have for Omaha. Omaha would be the center of the entertainment world for the day.
Red Sky Music Festival. It is held at TD Ameritrade, this year was its first year and the headliners for the 5 day event were: 311, Journey, Kid Rock, Zac Brown Band, and Jason Alden. Not my style of music, but could prove to be a big event for Omaha in the coming years.

Transportation

We launched out new Bike Share program this summer.

A study is currently underway to investigate transportation options downtown and midtown(I predict that it will suggest streetcars and then the closed minded people will complain that "my tax money shouldn't be spent on something I'll never use!" yet they continue to want their 4 lane roads out to 204th street that I never use.

We also recently got Megabus service! If you schedule ahead early enough you can get a ticket for a buck. My round trip cost to Chicago and back in October is only $4 and the bus has free wifi. Awesome.