Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hatch Chiles

Default Re: Hatch Chiles

Soonerguru and Radicalmoderate,
    Thanks, two good ideas. I will try both. Not today mind you, but I have copied them to my very limited recipe folder. I'm a widower with limited cooking skills, but some things I can handle. If the instructions are clear and it's not too complicated, I'm OK with it, and both of these fall into that category.
    C. T.

CT. . .refer back to post # 11. . .I didn't list all of the recipes, but gave some resources that I use frequently. . .esp take a look at the Garden Web site. . ."good things" . . .and not difficult!!

Foodiefan,
    Thanks, I need to browse the complete thread and make sure I haven't missed anything.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by foodiefan View Post
    CT. . .refer back to post # 11. . .I didn't list all of the recipes, but gave some resources that I use frequently. . .esp take a look at the Garden Web site. . ."good things" . . .and not difficult!!

Now that Hatch chiles are back, everything I see says blister them on a grill or in the broiler of my oven, then peel them. Why? When I use peppers, I use everything but the stem, I don't remove seeds or anything, I just slice or chop depending on what I'm preparing.
    Thanks,
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Now that Hatch chiles are back, everything I see says blister them on a grill or in the broiler of my oven, then peel them. Why? When I use peppers, I use everything but the stem, I don't remove seeds or anything, I just slice or chop depending on what I'm preparing.
    Thanks,
    C. T.
    Because when you roast them and remove the skin, you bring out the flavor in the chile. The skin doesn't add any flavor and becomes paper-like after roasting.

As for the seeds and pods, keep them in if you like, they add heat. Just be prepared for a lot of heat!

You can still dice them up fresh like a jalepeno if you want, but you would be missing out on the flavor of the chile.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Thanks,
    C. T.

I do the exact same. I like to roast them whole on the grill then pull the stem and put it right on my burger. It's heaven.

Soonerguru,
    I haven't found any, or very little heat in Hatch chiles, so that's not a problem. I will try roasting a couple of them and see how it works out. It's a real pain in the neck though.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Because when you roast them and remove the skin, you bring out the flavor in the chile. The skin doesn't add any flavor and becomes paper-like after roasting.

As for the seeds and pods, keep them in if you like, they add heat. Just be prepared for a lot of heat!

You can still dice them up fresh like a jalepeno if you want, but you would be missing out on the flavor of the chile.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    I do the exact same. I like to roast them whole on the grill then pull the stem and put it right on my burger. It's heaven.
    Stew,
    I like your style! I will have to give that a try, sounds fairly easy to prepare, and I enjoy peppers on my burgers. I normally use two habaneros (chopped) on a burger, so I know the heat won't be there, but I'm sure the flavor will be good.
    C. T.

I grabbed three, fresh, Hatch Chiles the other day at Homeland. Fire-peeled them, chopped them and added them to a little chicken thigh filet thing I put together. They were GREAT and with just the right amount of heat for the dish.

They roast them fresh right outside of Whole Foods and man it smells great.

ha... saw some hatch chiles at sprouts today and wondered if this thread would get resurrected. -M

Didn't buy any? (they are also available at Buy For Less)
    tsk tsk tsk. =)

you actually had to ask? of course i bought some. haven't decided their fate yet, though. i don't think i could've worked them in to tonight's homemade marinara & meatballs.

-M

what SoonerGuru said. . . skin becomes a little papery. You don't have to get every bit off. . . just scrape most of it off with the blade of a knife. I like to chop and freeze 6 - 8 in baggies to use during the year.

Fish City had a special appetizer last night, fried hatch chiles. Sliced like calamari and deep fried. Pretty good, but no "heat". The waitress said they would vary from mild to hot. I never found the hot.
    C. T.

So far I've found some at Sprouts and the Homeland on 18th and classen.

Homeland, Britton and May

Blog Entries

Trader Joe’s has big display of them

Crest is the way to go. In addition to having an onsite roaster they also offer Crest sourced Hatch sausages, bread, rolls, and cheeses. Crest offers this at 2 of their stores every weekend rotating through 8 of their stores. Call for info at your local store.

Crest @ Hefner & Rockwell is this coming Friday & Saturday. I was told that Friday is best.

I'm going to roast my own this time. They take such a beating in the flame roller contraption.

Also, Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers usually has a seasonal Hatch Chile burger starting any day now. Pretty dang good stuff!

21. Default Re: Hatch Chiles

Uptown on May has a bunch too.

Chuy's has the Hatch Fest. I think this is the last week of that.

Anywhere yet ?

Sprouts in Edmond has them.

Also Uptown per their ad.

Thread Information