Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hatch Chiles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hatch Chiles

Where can I find them, what do they compare to heat wise, and what is the best thing to do (cook) with them?
    Thanks,
    C. T.

Default Re: Hatch Chiles

New Mexico.
    They are mild, sweet, tasty and authentic.
    They are the perfect addition to almost anything that hits the plate.
    They are the only "all-purpose" chiles (that I am aware of) other than those "pequilla" chiles from Spain.

Perhaps the Food Trucks and the Casas de los Tapas y Tacos, Local will take a hint.
    (Not to mention The Corporate Grocery Store Combines . . . Shoot, just today I couldn't find Old Bay Seasoning at the local, diverse, Buy For Less fer cryin' out loud. =)

Crest in Edmond had them on Saturday. I didn't look at the price.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Shoot, just today I couldn't find Old Bay Seasoning at the local,
    diverse, Buy For Less fer cryin' out loud. =)
    Would that be the one on N.W. 36th and N. MacArthur?

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    New Mexico.
    They are mild, sweet, tasty and authentic.
    They are the perfect addition to almost anything that hits the plate.
    They are the only "all-purpose" chiles (that I am aware of) other than those "pequilla" chiles from Spain.

Perhaps the Food Trucks and the Casas de los Tapas y Tacos, Local will take a hint.
    (Not to mention The Corporate Grocery Store Combines . . . Shoot, just today I couldn't find Old Bay Seasoning at the local, diverse, Buy For Less fer cryin' out loud. =)
    They are not "mild," although some are grown that way. I've had many New Mexican peppers that were hotter than jalapenos, and they have a digestive afterburn if you know what I mean.

But they are freaking phenomenal foodwise. Piquant, vaguely sweet (subtle), punchy, earthy. Nice deep flavor and wonderful when smoked. The perfect accompaniment for the wonderful cuisine of New Mexico.

I love some New Mexican green chilies, but as my food palate has expanded, I've learned to love the New Mexican red chile even more (it comes from the same pepper).

If you have any confusion, my suggestion would be to take I-40 West and I-25 North about 8 hours to Santa Fe and eat at The Shed or Maria's (with many cervezas and margaritas) for like four straight nights, and have breakfast daily at Pasquale's. After that, you'll certainly understand the mania that people feel for this pepper every August / September.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    They are not "mild," although some are grown that way. I've had many New Mexican peppers that were hotter than jalapenos, and they have a digestive afterburn if you know what I mean.

But they are freaking phenomenal foodwise. Piquant, vaguely sweet (subtle), punchy, earthy. Nice deep flavor and wonderful when smoked. The perfect accompaniment for the wonderful cuisine of New Mexico.

I love some New Mexican green chilies, but as my food palate has expanded, I've learned to love the New Mexican red chile even more (it comes from the same pepper).

If you have any confusion, my suggestion would be to take I-40 West and I-25 North about 8 hours to Santa Fe and eat at The Shed or Maria's (with many cervezas and margaritas) for like four straight nights, and have breakfast daily at Pasquale's. After that, you'll certainly understand the mania that people feel for this pepper every August / September.
    I love all these places, but my favorite for breakfast is The Tecolate Cafe. Go and have the Huevos Yucatecos. It's a corn tortilla layered with black beans (which I normally don't like), egg, feta cheese, smothered in green chili, topped with swiss cheese and pico de gallo. They serve it with fried bananas. The hot and spicy of the chili combined with the sweet of the fried bananas is amazing. We've been eating there for 25 years. We're headed up later this month for a few days to get our fix.

We saw it featured on Diners, Drive In's and Dives a few years ago, and the Huevos Yucatecos was the dish they featured. Check it out online.

the Crest in Edmond had some yesterday.

They were roasting them in the parking lot at Homeland on north May a couple of weeks ago. I understand they will be doing that at Sunflower Mmt too. I have to disagree with the mild and sweet comment. It depends on the batch, some are really hot. You can get them year-round chopped, peeled and frozen at Buy for Less.

Quote Originally Posted by ksearls View Post
    They were roasting them in the parking lot at Homeland on north May a couple of weeks ago. I understand they will be doing that at Sunflower Mmt too. I have to disagree with the mild and sweet comment. It depends on the batch, some are really hot. You can get them year-round chopped, peeled and frozen at Buy for Less.
    I have to agree with your disagreement with my initial take on Hatch chiles.
    Some definitely are sweeter and hotter than others.
    It's all relative. =)

P.S.: When it comes to the canned versions of "Old El Paso" vs. "Hatch" (e.g. always available at Buy For Less in whatever form, but mostly in the can) I always select the can with the H. =) All I know is that friends who live in or near Hatch, New Mexico swear by them. (I guess it's akin to the ongoing debate over the superiority of Pronto Pups vs. Corn Dogs vis-a-vis State Fairs and what is available "On-A-Stick". Sorry . . . I haven't yet digested NOT going to The Great State Fair of Minnesota. =)

Prunepicker Guest

Hatch chills are available at
    Sunflower market at NW 63
    and N May for .88 cents lb.

Here is a good guide to heat using the Scoville Scale. The hatch is also called the Anaheim Pepper and is shown to be about half as hot as a jalapeno:

http://www.scottrobertsweb.com/scoville-scale.php#

Pete,
    Thanks, I wondered what chile it actually was or if it was a chile of it's own. I use Anaheim peppers or poblano peppers in place of bell peppers (which I can't stand) and they have a little heat, but not a lot. I'm very familiar with the Scoville scale but didn't think of checking it for the hatch chile.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Here is a good guide to heat using the Scoville Scale. The hatch is also called the Anaheim Pepper and is shown to be about half as hot as a jalapeno:

Pete,
    I think the link sums it up. If there is a difference between a "Hatch and an Anaheim chile", may it's the fact that the Hatch is an Anaheim grown in Hatch, NM. I have a great pasta dish that is even better (and it's an easy meal) because I substituted Anaheim chiles for bell peppers.
    Thanks,
    C. T.

I recently sampled some roasted Hatch Chiles outside of Crest in one of the roasting displays they had setup. They had roasted Hatch Chiles wrapped in a flour tortilla with or without cheese for free. They were good and i wished i would've taken another sample.

But

The one i got was warmer (flavor wise) than i expected and i was caught a little off guard walking through the store with no water around and i love spicy food. But its by no means hot and i think the majority of people would find them very appealing to enjoy at home with a cool beverage. The thing that surprised me was that a few people were buying them by the produce box; i thought they were good and plan to purchase a few this weekend and roast them at home but by the box???

Obviously they have an extremely loyal following.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamTell View Post
    I recently sampled some roasted Hatch Chiles outside of Crest in one of the roasting displays they had setup. They had roasted Hatch Chiles wrapped in a flour tortilla with or without cheese for free. They were good and i wished i would've taken another sample.

But

The one i got was warmer (flavor wise) than i expected and i was caught a little off guard walking through the store with no water around and i love spicy food. But its by no means hot and i think the majority of people would find them very appealing to enjoy at home with a cool beverage. The thing that surprised me was that a few people were buying them by the produce box; i thought they were good and plan to purchase a few this weekend and roast them at home but by the box???

Obviously they have an extremely loyal following.
    Yes, I know lots of people in Texas that buy them by the box, roast the whole bunch, peel, chop and freeze. I really should because we do eat a lot of chile in our house. Once they are roasted and peeled, there's not a lot left. I roasted something like eight of them this past weekend, and by the time they were all done, it was not even enough to fill an 8 oz container.

They have the same bloodlines but the average Anaheim isn't totally the same as a true New Mexican green. I don't know if it's the water, altitude, soil, sun or whatever, but the ones from New Mexico are simply the best.

Sooner, you know what you are talking about. I love green but have switched to red when I head west. Also like to mix it up Christmas style when we go to Santa Fe. I eat chiles every meal for days. Dont forget Burt's Burger Bowl and Bobcat Bite for the awesomeness that is this green chile cheeseburger!

Lots of great green chile stuff at Sunflower! Big bags of frozen roasted and chopped that look good, plus the fresh right now. Also some good looking green tamales from SF. They had fresh green breakfast burritos in the sandwich case. Check it out!

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ksearls View Post
    I love green but have switched to red when I head west. Also like to
    mix it up Christmas style when we go to Santa Fe.
    Here's an amen! I'll have lots of red and green on the side. New
    Mexico Mex style is my favorite Mexican food. I'll eat Chile Rellanos
    virtually every meal, like a side. The Pantry is my fave.

Are Hatch peppers the ones used for Chile Rellanos? Can't stand
    Poblano, too much like the bell pepper which I believe is akin to
    hemlock.

Prunepicker,
    I like New Mexico style for a change although it isn't necessarily my favorite. For those that don't know, Christmas style is when they ask if you want red or green sauce, you reply Christmas, Christmas tree, or Christmas style to let them know you want a mixture of both. As for your comment on poblano and bell peppers, there is no comparison. The bell pepper is a sweet pepper. It certainly has no heat and poblano does. I believe (but am totally ready to be corrected) that most chiles relleno are made with poblano peppers. I just did a quick check and poblano peppers are in fact used for chiles relleno. I know that I can eat poblanos raw and I can't stand the taste of bell peppers. We all have our own tastes and you are not a fan of poblanos.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Here's an amen! I'll have lots of red and green on the side. New
    Mexico Mex style is my favorite Mexican food. I'll eat Chile Rellanos
    virtually every meal, like a side. The Pantry is my fave.

Are Hatch peppers the ones used for Chile Rellanos? Can't stand
    Poblano, too much like the bell pepper which I believe is akin to
    hemlock.

I bought some in the produce dept of the Homeland at Danforth and Bryant last week. I roasted a few this weekend. They were hot enough that after peeling them, my fingers were on fire. Even the next day, my fingertips were still stinging. I'm just glad I didn't have my contacts in!

I've seen them at Crest recently. I'm going to be in Albuquerque in 2 weeks thou so looking forward to getting them locally

Hatch chiles have a "cachet" all their own. . .sort of like "terroir" in wine. . .and some are hotter than others, but, oh my, the smell of them roasting on the grill!! There are several "varieties" grown (one is the "Big Jim"), but the thing that makes them "Hatch" is that they are gown in/around. . . . Hatch, NM.

Quote Originally Posted by Debzkidz View Post
    I bought some in the produce dept of the Homeland at Danforth and Bryant last week. I roasted a few this weekend. They were hot enough that after peeling them, my fingers were on fire. Even the next day, my fingertips were still stinging. I'm just glad I didn't have my contacts in!
    Debz. . .depends on your sensitivity. . .I usually roast aboaut 20 lbs in the fall and freeze them for future use during the year. They do not bother me at all. . .neither do jalapenos (at least, not my hands. . .eyes, yes!!).

ctchandler. . .you can use them most anywhere. . .my favorite "thing" is Pink Adobe Green Chile Stew. . .recipe "googable" on line. . .another "thing". . .pile them on top of a burger topped with a really good melty cheese (pepper jack if you like it spicy!). . . also on eggs. . .or in an omlet. . . recently saw a recipe for a green chile and apple pie. . . .(google "Homesick Texan"). Another link ( if it comes thru) that will probably have more than you ever want to know!! http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...331512210.html. Bottom line. . .buy. . .roast. . . enjoy!!
    Last edited by foodiefan; 08-29-2011 at 07:29 PM. Reason: added info/spelling

Target always carries Anaheim Peppers and I'm sure the new Sunflower Farmers Market will have them.

another pretty informative "Hatch Chile" website. . . .http://www.specialtyproduce.com/prod...Peppers_99.php. So. . . not Anaheim's. . .a different aminal entirely!!

Yes foodiefan, the wine comparison is a good one. Hatch is the Bordeaux of chile.

Seriously, when you can't get fresh (basically any other time other than fall. This year they are very early) the frozen Bueno brand at Buy for Less are very good. They have mild, hot and Autumn roast which has yummy little charred bits. I actually used to buy them by the ice chest full and bring them back from Santa Fe until they started carrying them here.

Also, I think if you called them Anaheim peppers in New Mexico you'd probably get punched.

Thread Information