Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hatch Chiles

Default Hatch Chiles

Where can I find them, what do they compare to heat wise, and what is the best thing to do (cook) with them?
    Thanks,
    C. T.

Default Re: Hatch Chiles

New Mexico.
    They are mild, sweet, tasty and authentic.
    They are the perfect addition to almost anything that hits the plate.
    They are the only "all-purpose" chiles (that I am aware of) other than those "pequilla" chiles from Spain.

Perhaps the Food Trucks and the Casas de los Tapas y Tacos, Local will take a hint.
    (Not to mention The Corporate Grocery Store Combines . . . Shoot, just today I couldn't find Old Bay Seasoning at the local, diverse, Buy For Less fer cryin' out loud. =)

the Crest in Edmond had some yesterday.

Crest in Edmond had them on Saturday. I didn't look at the price.

They were roasting them in the parking lot at Homeland on north May a couple of weeks ago. I understand they will be doing that at Sunflower Mmt too. I have to disagree with the mild and sweet comment. It depends on the batch, some are really hot. You can get them year-round chopped, peeled and frozen at Buy for Less.

Here is a good guide to heat using the Scoville Scale. The hatch is also called the Anaheim Pepper and is shown to be about half as hot as a jalapeno:

http://www.scottrobertsweb.com/scoville-scale.php#

Quote Originally Posted by ksearls View Post
    They were roasting them in the parking lot at Homeland on north May a couple of weeks ago. I understand they will be doing that at Sunflower Mmt too. I have to disagree with the mild and sweet comment. It depends on the batch, some are really hot. You can get them year-round chopped, peeled and frozen at Buy for Less.
    I have to agree with your disagreement with my initial take on Hatch chiles.
    Some definitely are sweeter and hotter than others.
    It's all relative. =)

P.S.: When it comes to the canned versions of "Old El Paso" vs. "Hatch" (e.g. always available at Buy For Less in whatever form, but mostly in the can) I always select the can with the H. =) All I know is that friends who live in or near Hatch, New Mexico swear by them. (I guess it's akin to the ongoing debate over the superiority of Pronto Pups vs. Corn Dogs vis-a-vis State Fairs and what is available "On-A-Stick". Sorry . . . I haven't yet digested NOT going to The Great State Fair of Minnesota. =)

I bought some in the produce dept of the Homeland at Danforth and Bryant last week. I roasted a few this weekend. They were hot enough that after peeling them, my fingers were on fire. Even the next day, my fingertips were still stinging. I'm just glad I didn't have my contacts in!

Pete,
    Thanks, I wondered what chile it actually was or if it was a chile of it's own. I use Anaheim peppers or poblano peppers in place of bell peppers (which I can't stand) and they have a little heat, but not a lot. I'm very familiar with the Scoville scale but didn't think of checking it for the hatch chile.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Here is a good guide to heat using the Scoville Scale. The hatch is also called the Anaheim Pepper and is shown to be about half as hot as a jalapeno:

http://www.scottrobertsweb.com/scoville-scale.php#

I've seen them at Crest recently. I'm going to be in Albuquerque in 2 weeks thou so looking forward to getting them locally

Hatch chiles have a "cachet" all their own. . .sort of like "terroir" in wine. . .and some are hotter than others, but, oh my, the smell of them roasting on the grill!! There are several "varieties" grown (one is the "Big Jim"), but the thing that makes them "Hatch" is that they are gown in/around. . . . Hatch, NM.

Quote Originally Posted by Debzkidz View Post
    I bought some in the produce dept of the Homeland at Danforth and Bryant last week. I roasted a few this weekend. They were hot enough that after peeling them, my fingers were on fire. Even the next day, my fingertips were still stinging. I'm just glad I didn't have my contacts in!
    Debz. . .depends on your sensitivity. . .I usually roast aboaut 20 lbs in the fall and freeze them for future use during the year. They do not bother me at all. . .neither do jalapenos (at least, not my hands. . .eyes, yes!!).

ctchandler. . .you can use them most anywhere. . .my favorite "thing" is Pink Adobe Green Chile Stew. . .recipe "googable" on line. . .another "thing". . .pile them on top of a burger topped with a really good melty cheese (pepper jack if you like it spicy!). . . also on eggs. . .or in an omlet. . . recently saw a recipe for a green chile and apple pie. . . .(google "Homesick Texan"). Another link ( if it comes thru) that will probably have more than you ever want to know!! http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...331512210.html. Bottom line. . .buy. . .roast. . . enjoy!!
    Last edited by foodiefan; 08-29-2011 at 07:29 PM. Reason: added info/spelling

Target always carries Anaheim Peppers and I'm sure the new Sunflower Farmers Market will have them.

another pretty informative "Hatch Chile" website. . . .http://www.specialtyproduce.com/prod...Peppers_99.php. So. . . not Anaheim's. . .a different aminal entirely!!

Yes foodiefan, the wine comparison is a good one. Hatch is the Bordeaux of chile.

Seriously, when you can't get fresh (basically any other time other than fall. This year they are very early) the frozen Bueno brand at Buy for Less are very good. They have mild, hot and Autumn roast which has yummy little charred bits. I actually used to buy them by the ice chest full and bring them back from Santa Fe until they started carrying them here.

Also, I think if you called them Anaheim peppers in New Mexico you'd probably get punched.

QUOTE=ksearls;463586]:Also, I think if you called them Anaheim peppers in New Mexico you'd probably get punched.[/QUOTE]

. . . but oh so true!!

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Shoot, just today I couldn't find Old Bay Seasoning at the local,
    diverse, Buy For Less fer cryin' out loud. =)
    Would that be the one on N.W. 36th and N. MacArthur?

No . . . This would be the one at Penn and Hefner.
    Somehow I doubt that they would have the frozen Hatch chiles either.
    But I will--for sure--be looking the next time I'm in there.

Look up the recipe for hatch chili stew.. omg, i made it last year and loved it

Quote Originally Posted by foodiefan View Post
    Hatch chiles have a "cachet" all their own. . .sort of like "terroir" in wine. . .and some are hotter than others, but, oh my, the smell of them roasting on the grill!! There are several "varieties" grown (one is the "Big Jim"), but the thing that makes them "Hatch" is that they are gown in/around. . . . Hatch, NM.

Debz. . .depends on your sensitivity. . .I usually roast aboaut 20 lbs in the fall and freeze them for future use during the year. They do not bother me at all. . .neither do jalapenos (at least, not my hands. . .eyes, yes!!).

ctchandler. . .you can use them most anywhere. . .my favorite "thing" is Pink Adobe Green Chile Stew. . .recipe "googable" on line. . .another "thing". . .pile them on top of a burger topped with a really good melty cheese (pepper jack if you like it spicy!). . . also on eggs. . .or in an omlet. . . recently saw a recipe for a green chile and apple pie. . . .(google "Homesick Texan"). Another link ( if it comes thru) that will probably have more than you ever want to know!! http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...331512210.html. Bottom line. . .buy. . .roast. . . enjoy!!
    Yes, I'm very sensitive to peppers. I have a hard time cutting jalapenos because the fumes make me start coughing. We like to chop them and keep them in the freezer, but I have to have my husband do the chopping and cleanup afterwards. I can't even be in the room when he turns on the garbage disposal because the fumes absolutely freak my throat out.

I've got to find the Pink Adobe recipe. I've been trying to find a good greeen chile stew recipe for a couple of years, but I've never found one that we liked well enough to make more than once. If it's from the Pink Adobe it's got to be good. I'm going to check out the other links as well. Hubby and I love green chile.

As for the frozen Bueno frozen chiles, I've bought them at Crest in Edmond.

I noticed there is a New Mexican restaurant getting ready to open in Edmond on Coltrane, just south of 2nd Street. I'm hoping its good.

Quote Originally Posted by Debzkidz View Post
    If it's from the Pink Adobe it's got to be good.
    Try the one from the Santa Fe Cooking School. . .I usually sort of combine the two.

Quote Originally Posted by foodiefan View Post
    Try the one from the Santa Fe Cooking School. . .I usually sort of combine the two.
    Thanks for the tip. I will check it out. I don't know why I never thought to check out their website. I've taken a class there, and go there at least once a year.

Looks like they are roasting Hatch chile at Sunflower tomorrow! Whoo!

Here is a Green Chile Special "Border Crossing style" I made last year with my homemade green chile stew. Yumm, it was tasty!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	green chile special.jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	969

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    No... This would be the one at Penn and Hefner.
    Somehow I doubt that they would have the frozen Hatch chiles either.
    But I will--for sure--be looking the next time I'm in there.
    The one at N.W. 36th and N. MacArthur is virtually a Mexican Market.
    We visit quite often.

Buy them now while they are fresh and prep them for use later. They are great when frozen and used in sauces, salsas or chili. You can buy them roasted and then portion them out to freeze. I usually take a bunch and throw them into my smoker and hickory smoke them for a while.

WOW, lots of good responses, but I think all of these responses (answers) generated more questions. I did stop at 36th and MacArthur and asked the Hispanic produce manager if they had Hatch chiles and he said "New Mexico", yes and took me to the Anaheim peppers. I went to the link above and it isn't very definitive but doesn't mention any names that I know, things like "Big Jim, Barker, and R-Naky". I think they are here in lots of places, Walmart has Anaheim chiles if that's the correct one, but I have more research to do.
    Thanks,
    C. T.

Thread Information