Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hatch Chiles

Default Re: Hatch Chiles

Wow Radical, that's one way to get it done! Very Tool Time!

I typically use my gas grill, works like a charm; or I pop them in the oven under the broiler. Sometimes if I am just roasting a few, I put them directly on my gas burner.

After they turn nice and black, put them in a big brown paper bag for a few minutes; it helps to make them easier to peel.

Then, you can either peel and seed them or put the whole chiles, skin and all in zip lock freezer bags and freeze them. When you are ready to use them, pop them in the microwave to soften them up and the skins come right off.

I smart chile friend taught me that freezer trick. And no, it does not change the texture.

Also, I second The Tecolate Cafe, yum! There are so many great places to eat in Santa Fe! I need a fix soon!!

Recommended places to eat in ABQ? I couldn't wait though, bought me some fresh roasted ones yesterday at Sunflower

"ABQ"? . . .
    How about, "Casa Chaco" a restaurant that used to be in The Hilton, right next to--that is, specifically and immediately adjacent to and within easy walking distance (replete with sidewalks) of--that other (less expensive, employer/training session booked, yet more than passable in terms of amenities) hotel was an eye-opening and taste-bud tinglin' experience to me in terms of "Nuevo New Mexican/Southwestern Cuisine" . . .

But that was a long time ago.
    Heck . . . They were even out of the "Special" Fish Dish on the chalkboard at the door the day I was there.

So, I settled for "The Chicken" and, in the process, learned how to make one of the best side dishes anywhere: "Broccoli Casa Caco."

Of course, The (ABQ) Locals, today, may not give "Casa Chaco" the same high marks.
    They have probably even changed their "Authentic Menu." =)

We don't usually spend much time in ABQ, other than flying in and out. We always head on up to Santa Fe or Taos. About the only place we ever go in ABQ is The Range Cafe, and we usually go to their location in Bernallio, but they do have at least one (maybe more) in ABQ. They make a mean green chili chicken soup/stew. It's great, as is everything on their menu.

After spending a little time on google, I'm inclined to agree with your comment. They certainly look like Anaheim peppers, a Hispanic produce manager (or assistant) mentioned New Mexico and directed me to the Anaheim so it really does make sense that although they are Anaheim, like any product of the earth, the taste can vary by soil, region et al.
    Thanks to all. I am going back home tomorrow so maybe I can get over to the store at 63rd and May and pick some up. Then I will try to decide what method to use to prepare them.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by foodiefan View Post
    Hatch chiles have a "cachet" all their own. . .sort of like "terroir" in wine. . .and some are hotter than others, but, oh my, the smell of them roasting on the grill!! There are several "varieties" grown (one is the "Big Jim"), but the thing that makes them "Hatch" is that they are gown in/around. . . . Hatch, NM.

Debz. . .depends on your sensitivity. . .I usually roast aboaut 20 lbs in the fall and freeze them for future use during the year. They do not bother me at all. . .neither do jalapenos (at least, not my hands. . .eyes, yes!!).

ctchandler. . .you can use them most anywhere. . .my favorite "thing" is Pink Adobe Green Chile Stew. . .recipe "googable" on line. . .another "thing". . .pile them on top of a burger topped with a really good melty cheese (pepper jack if you like it spicy!). . . also on eggs. . .or in an omlet. . . recently saw a recipe for a green chile and apple pie. . . .(google "Homesick Texan"). Another link ( if it comes thru) that will probably have more than you ever want to know!! http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...331512210.html. Bottom line. . .buy. . .roast. . . enjoy!!

For some reason the "New Mexican" cuisine I've had in ABQ has not been on the same par as that I've had in Santa Fe, Taos, and even places like Las Vegas, NM. I'm sure there are solid places there, but the best New Mexican food I've had has been in Santa Fe and random cafes in small towns.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    After spending a little time on google, I'm inclined to agree with your comment. They certainly look like Anaheim peppers, a Hispanic produce manager (or assistant) mentioned New Mexico and directed me to the Anaheim so it really does make sense that although they are Anaheim, like any product of the earth, the taste can vary by soil, region et al.
    Thanks to all. I am going back home tomorrow so maybe I can get over to the store at 63rd and May and pick some up. Then I will try to decide what method to use to prepare them.
    C. T.
    I used to have a friend whose sister and brother in law were actually chili farmers in Hatch, NM. According to her this is it exactly. They are Anaheims, but its the soil, climate etc. that makes Hatch chili's what they are. Kind of like Vidalia onions, or Pecos cantalopes (if you've lived in Texas, you know what they are). It's all about the soil and climate.

Hi there, thought I would throw in my 2 cents. I moved here from Socorro New Mexico in 1983. Socorro is small town south of Albuquerque about 80 miles. Alfalfa and green chili are grown along the Rio Grand that flows thru the town. Let me tell ya, green chili is a way of life back home. After 2 years of living in OKC I found myself on a annual trip to NM to get my chilis. I just recently started getting mine locally here in OKC. Hatch chilis are definiately different than Anaheims, better flavor and HOTTER! Do not smoke them in a smoker, I tried that 1 time and wasted a whole batch. As for roasting them, I cook them on the grill turning constantly until they have a few black spots and the pepper turns to a lighter green. I then transfer them to a moist towel and cover with wet towel. Let them steam till skin seperates from the chili easy. Next just pull the stem, bag em and freeze em. As for prepairing them I just thaw them, chop them up and sprinkle a little garlic salt. One thing I noticed that nobody uses them with pinto beans. Nothing better than beans with ham hocks topped with green chili. Thats all I've got, they are addicting.

Quote Originally Posted by Debzkidz View Post
    I used to have a friend whose sister and brother in law were actually chili farmers in Hatch, NM. According to her this is it exactly. They are Anaheims, but its the soil, climate etc. that makes Hatch chili's what they are. Kind of like Vidalia onions, or Pecos cantalopes (if you've lived in Texas, you know what they are). It's all about the soil and climate.
    Maybe now with climate change we can start growing them in Guymon or something.

I have another question. Has anybody compared the taste of an Anaheim chile to that of a Hatch chile? I do know that I ate a bowl (cup of soup size bowl) of jalapenos grown somewhere in Europe while I was visiting Scotland last year. They tasted as good as any jalapenos but I ate the bowl at a pub bar while having a couple of beers and there was almost no heat. I also have eaten jalapenos here that weren't very warm and more often than not, pretty hot, but they all tasted like jalapenos. So, that's the question, is it a matter of heat, or actually flavor/taste that separates the Hatch from all others? I'm going to the new market (63rd and May) Monday and I will pick some Anaheim chiles up at a homeland and compare the taste so maybe I will answer my own question.
    Thanks,
    C. T.

Just saw they now have green chile cheeseburgers at Whataburger!

i bought about 2-3lbs, im roasting them tonight and let you guys know the outcome.

I have another question. Has anybody compared the taste of an Anaheim chile to that of a Hatch chile? I do know that I ate a bowl (cup of soup size bowl) of jalapenos grown somewhere in Europe while I was visiting Scotland last year. They tasted as good as any jalapenos but I ate the bowl at a pub bar while having a couple of beers and there was almost no heat. I also have eaten jalapenos here that weren't very warm and more often than not, pretty hot, but they all tasted like jalapenos. So, that's the question, is it a matter of heat, or actually flavor/taste that separates the Hatch from all others? I'm going to the new market (63rd and May) Monday and I will pick some Anaheim chiles up at a homeland and compare the taste so maybe I will answer my own question.
    Thanks,
    C. T.
    Hatch chiles generally have more heat than Anaheims, especially this year. The chile guy at our local Farmer's Market here in Arlington, TX brings them in by the truckload from his family farm in Hatch. He said that this year's low rainfall and long run of higher than normal temps in NM made for a spicier crop than usual. He divides them into mild-medium-hot. I usually get a half bushel of medium and a half bushel of hot, but based on his recommendation I went half mild and half medium, and a good thing too! I've already made a batch of green chile stew with only mild peppers and there was a noticeable pleasant burn. Mediums should be just right for green chile salsa and some stacked enchiladas.

As to the taste, I believe Hatch is better and has more character. Anaheims seem kind of generic to me.

Quote Originally Posted by skyrick View Post
    As to the taste, I believe Hatch is better and has more character. Anaheims seem kind of generic to me.
    Taste is such a subjective "thing". . . but I'm singing your song!!

Thanks,
    C. T.
    Yes. I've compared the flavor. While similar, it is different, and the Hatch chile is better. Why do you keep writing about this when you can just go buy some and try them? Seriously. You better hurry, though, as we can only get them for a couple of weeks or so every year.

Soonerguru,
    A little fire in Northeast OKC got in my way so while I spent a couple of days in the Holiday Inn with my laptop (no power or water at my home while the fires burned less than a half mile away), I figured that I might as well ask about chiles. I plan to pick some up today.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Yes. I've compared the flavor. While similar, it is different, and the Hatch chile is better. Why do you keep writing about this when you can just go buy some and try them? Seriously. You better hurry, though, as we can only get them for a couple of weeks or so every year.

heres what i did...

-fired up the grill, after i was done cooking dinner i threw on the peppers
    -roasted for about 5-7 minutes until they started getting soft and roasted looking
    -put them in a tuber ware container and placed the lid on them
    -let them sit about 10 minutes to steam

-cut them up and removed the seeds / stem and used them with some american cheese inside of a flour tortilla to make a quesadilla(sp)...excellent.

I hope you removed the skins after the steaming!

Soonerguru,
    A little fire in Northeast OKC got in my way so while I spent a couple of days in the Holiday Inn with my laptop (no power or water at my home while the fires burned less than a half mile away), I figured that I might as well ask about chiles. I plan to pick some up today.
    C. T.
    CT. . .hope everything is OK at your home. Enjoy your chiles!!

Quote Originally Posted by ksearls View Post
    Just saw they now have green chile cheeseburgers at Whataburger!
    . . . and a Jalapeno Cheddar McChicken at McDonalds!

I work with a guy who grew up near Hatch New Mexico and as soon as I mentioned Hatch chiles to him he launched into a brief lecture on what makes them special. He indicated that volcanic soil is part of what makes the big difference.

A question did occur to me here . . . I like to use a certain type of tomatoes for my Pomodoro sauce: San Marzano plum tomatoes from Italy. At some point I was made aware that a particular brand of "San Marzano Tomatoes"--even LABELED "San Marzano"--were actually grown in California. When you consider the supply and demand regarding these chiles (and the lack of a previous personal reference point, tastewise) is it possible that Anaheim chiles could be being put in crates that say Hatch? (Or would that only happen at say . . . an Outlet Mall?)

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    . . . and a Jalapeno Cheddar McChicken at McDonalds!

I work with a guy who grew up near Hatch New Mexico and as soon as I mentioned Hatch chiles to him he launched into a brief lecture on what makes them special. He indicated that volcanic soil is part of what makes the big difference.

A question did occur to me here . . . I like to use a certain type of tomatoes for my Pomodoro sauce: San Marzano plum tomatoes from Italy. At some point I was made aware that a particular brand of "San Marzano Tomatoes"--even LABELED "San Marzano"--were actually grown in California. When you consider the supply and demand regarding these chiles (and the lack of a previous personal reference point, tastewise) is it possible that Anaheim chiles could be being put in crates that say Hatch? (Or would that only happen at say . . . an Outlet Mall?)

I don't know about Hatch chiles but I know an onion can't be called a Vidalia onion according to trademark laws, unless its grown in a certain region of Georgia.

Sorry about your misfortune, CT.

Foodiefan,
    Thanks, it came close to my place but they contained it so I came back home on Friday. Picked up chiles at the new place on 63rd and May. Now I need some Anaheim peppers to compare the raw tasted of the two.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by foodiefan View Post
    CT. . .hope everything is OK at your home. Enjoy your chiles!!

Soonerguru,
    I'm one of the fortunate ones. I had to leave, but I had something to return to. Others were not so fortunate. And I just read about the Austin area. I certainly am thankful that we didn't experience anything that bad.
    Thanks,
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Sorry about your misfortune, CT.

I didn't get a chance to pick up an Anaheim pepper today, and I couldn't wait, so I took a nice bite of a Hatch chile and I'm a bit underwhelmed at this point. Not from a taste standpoint, it was good, but somebody mentioned that they were hotter than Anaheims. There was very little heat in what I had. I am going a few places tomorrow so I will pick up an Anaheim and take a bit of it, then take another bite of the Hatch and see. I do understand that the preferred preparation is toast them, remove the skins and use them in a preparation like a green chile stew or whatever. And I do want to use them properly but I was curious about the taste and heat.
    C. T.

Thread Information