Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Presley (formerly Lincoln Plaza)

Default Re: Lincoln Plaza update

this is one of many areas that are now developing IN SPITE of government actions taken along here.
    Specific examples of how their actions have improved the area can be cited, not the least of which being a bunch of government construction and bringing a good number of employees to the area.

What specific examples can you provide of how their actions have hindered the area's improvement?

That stretch or road was never, ever walkable or particularly desirable. The point being it's way better now than before the urban renewal project commenced.

Spartan, the capitol dome is near collapse?

I missed that story. Have a link handy anywhere? Or were you meaning the basic capitol structure suffers from some serious neglect issues?

3. Default Re: Lincoln Plaza update

My only regret regarding the clearing out of places along Lincoln was the loss of an absolutely killer (though mostly derelict) sign inventory. There were some incredible motel signs from the golden era of Route 66. I hope someone has them stored away somewhere.

Blog Entries

Any objective analysis of Lincoln has to acknowledge the vast improvements of the last decade. To disparage the government actions which have cleaned it up and made it an area worth investing in is off base.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Any objective analysis of Lincoln has to acknowledge the vast improvements of the last decade. To disparage the government actions which have cleaned it up and made it an area worth investing in is off base.
    Agreed, Rover. And any attempt to categorize plans there as "urban renewal" is also off base. That area has never been urban.

Urban renewal is a process of acquiring blighted areas by a government entity, clearing them and then aiding in redevelopment... Which is exactly what has happened along Lincoln. There have been lots of similar projects in areas not particularly dense. OCURA (and now the Economic Development Trust) owns all sorts of properties around town.

Anyway, the Lincoln Corridor has vastly improved which is evidenced by a hotel even being a possibility at Lincoln Plaza. It's probably better suited for that than housing but either way, once this property is resurrected we should see even more development in the area.

I suppose there may be more than one definition of urban renewal but here's something, including Merriam Webster, to support my idea.

http://www.businessdictionary.com/de...n-renewal.html

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...rban%20renewal

It may have acquired a broader general meaning somewhere along the way.

8. Default Re: Lincoln Plaza update

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Spartan, the capitol dome is near collapse?

I missed that story. Have a link handy anywhere? Or were you meaning the basic capitol structure suffers from some serious neglect issues?
    Yes, please elaborate, Nick!
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    My only regret regarding the clearing out of places along Lincoln was the loss of an absolutely killer (though mostly derelict) sign inventory. There were some incredible motel signs from the golden era of Route 66. I hope someone has them stored away somewhere.
    Or at least photographs. The signs were all gone by the time I started getting serious about photo-documentation.

Gardner/Tanenbaum just sold the Lincoln at Central Park apartments for $77 million.

Hopefully they'll put a big chunk of that into Lincoln Plaza.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Gardner/Tanenbaum just sold the Lincoln at Central Park apartments for $77 million.

Hopefully they'll put a big chunk of that into Lincoln Plaza.
    One thing for sure - if he doesn't spend it on something other than extra cheese he has a lot of taxes to pay.

Default Re: Lincoln Plaza

No hotel for Lincoln Plaza which is probably a wise decision.

http://newsok.com/hotel-is-ruled-out...rticle/3675832

Considering the success at Tanenbaum's nearby Lincoln at Central Park apartments, I hope Lincoln Plaza becomes housing.

It would be a shame to waste that great pool area.

I can confirm there is a 95% chance Lincoln Plaza is going to be converted into office space with covered parking added and a possible addition to the building that would extend it closer to the street. The building will house a state government agency. Expect movement on this very soon, with it completed within approximately 9-10 months.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    I can confirm there is a 95% chance Lincoln Plaza is going to be converted into office space with covered parking added and a possible addition to the building that would extend it closer to the street. The building will house a state government agency. Expect movement on this very soon, with it completed within approximately 9-10 months.
    Is Tanenbaum still involved?

He'll still have to apply for a permit, but it will be an expedited process with no DDRC to go through... obviously

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Is Tanenbaum still involved?
    Yes. It's all Tanenbaum on this project, which is one of the reasons the state chose to move forward with it.

Thanks so much for the info.

However, this is a bit of a bummer as that area needs more housing and/or a hotel. There are tons of vacant lots along Lincoln that the state owns for housing various agencies.

Still, it will be good to see that place come back to life.

19. Default Re: Lincoln Plaza

I'm going to guess that Tanenbaum won the competition to land the Oklahoma Healthcare Authority.... this ought to make the plight of the current Lincoln Plaza office complex more intriguing....

20. Default Re: Lincoln Plaza

King, any idea about what he'll do with the pool area and restaurant if he goes with office use?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    King, any idea about what he'll do with the pool area and restaurant if he goes with office use?
    I'm not sure, but I'll check on that Monday and see if I can sneak a peak at the actual plans (if they're even available at this point).

It would have to be a pretty big agency to take up the whole building. Any chance it's multiple agencies? Give us a hint, King!

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey80 View Post
    It would have to be a pretty big agency to take up the whole building. Any chance it's multiple agencies? Give us a hint, King!
    It will be the Oklahoma Health Care Authority. They have approximately 400-500 employees.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    If you look at Lincoln and Classen as major N/S routes for future rail, a loop emerges that connects Bell Isle to downtown as well.
    We had it until 1947, with the Belle Isle and Culbertson cars. Belle Isle was one end of the line, and the other end was behind the original Historical Society building about a block from the capitol building. It ran on NE 13 to Robinson Circle, from there down Broadway to Main, out Main to Olie (now known as Classen), and up Olie/Classen to Belle Isle. I rode the cars to and from school for three months of 1946, going from Robinson Circle to the 17th Street Station and back...

It will be the Oklahoma Health Care Authority. They have approximately 400-500 employees.
    I doubt that it will be them, they had been their at one time but left under bad conditions

Thread Information