Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Route 66 Landing

Far West Route 66 Landing

There are now signs up for this new development on NW 39th and Kilpatrick turnpike. Does anyone know any other details about this?

http://www.mcgeeinvestments.com/#!route-66-landing

Default Re: Route 66 Landing

Given how their are several large empty car dealers off 66 a mile or two west of that location it is disappointing something could not be worked out to at least put some of the items their, but I do not doubt that location is probably better for the developer. From what I had heard the OKC planning commission denied the plan earlier this year due to local residents concerns but maybe the developer was able to come up with something to mediate the impacts. Likely why the page states they are guaranteeing the condition of the wetlands and ponds in the area not be affected (which seems a little hard to believe, though the water could be controlled the litter from a site like this is another thing entirely to stop from blowing or washing the couple miles north or east), since those would be the easiest barrier to throw in the developers path. I believe the condition of Morgan road was also an issue, but retailers have been known to pay for road improvement if the project will cover the costs.

Sorry I didn't catch your post sooner. Just noticed the new Route 66 Landing sign and started checking into it. It appears Ken McGee is proceeding using the commercial zoning he had previously obtained. Too bad nobody fought that one.

This development is very troubling because the stream on that property discharges into the Lake Overholser OKC drinking water reservoir. Any development so near to that stream seems like a bad idea. OKC has lots of land for development, but our drinking water sources are quite limited. If you happened to see how low Lake Overholser got at the peak of the current drought, it seems the effects of any water discharge from the planned development will be magnified because of the much lower lake level. Lake Overholser is already listed as "impaired".

On the Ken McGee web page relating to Route 66 Landing, it states that "We are guaranteeing the protection of the natural wetlands and ponds in the area." Well a previous Ken McGee development, West End Pointe in Yukon, seems to have violated EPA clean water regulations and resulted in a fine. In a document I found on an EPA web page titled:

Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality
    Water Quality Division
    CWA Penalty Actions
    Federal FY 2007-2009 (October 1, 2006 - September 30, 2009)

...There is a line reading:

"WEP Land Holdings (West End Pointe) OKR102871 Constr SW Other 08/06/07 2007 --- $2,000.00"

Route 66 Landing is too near to our drinking water supply to take any chances with.

This is not good. What can be done about this?

Far West Route 66 Landing

What's it? They are moving dirt. A few years ago there was a PUD on this area for mixed use apartments and commercial. Protests largely from Stonebridge residents played a role in shutting it down. (Can't remember the name or find the old thread.)

Location: https://www.google.com/maps/dir//35....7046375,15.33z

Default Re: East of the Turnpike, North side of Route 66 and Stonebridge Addition, Overholser

Article on the old PUD: http://newsok.com/article/3516807

Default Re: East of the Turnpike, North side of Route 66 and Stonebridge Addition, Overholser

Aha. So they killed the apartments as part of this PUD but in the meanwhile, someone built a large complex on the southside of the road.

(I wonder why this got moved to Real Estate instead of Development and Building, since this is Development and Building? Don't really care though.)

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    Aha. So they killed the apartments as part of this PUD but in the meanwhile, someone built a large complex on the southside of the road.

(I wonder why this got moved to Real Estate instead of Development and Building, since this is Development and Building? Don't really care though.)
    All undetermined, "what is going in at xxx" goes into general real estate.

Now that it's been identified and has specifics (including a name) it will go back to Development.

Many questions / issues that start off this way never become Developments.

I know a building development when I see one, but I get it wasn't clear and there are standards. Now I know. (Which probably won't prevent me from putting stuff in the wrong place from time to time.)

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    I know a building development when I see one, but I get it wasn't clear and there are standards. Now I know. (Which probably won't prevent me from putting stuff in the wrong place from time to time.)
    It's absolutely no problem... Just post and I'll figure out if something needs to be moved.

It doesn't bother me in the least if someone posts something that ends up being moved.

New medical center, mixed-use project coming to far west OKC

Work has started on Route 66 Landing at the intersection of Kilpatrick turnpike and Route 66 / NW 39th Street.

[PRBREAK][/PRBREAK]

McGee Real Commercial Real Estate is building a 2-story office building for their own use, a 1-level garden office structure for lease, a retail building facing Route 66 and a 2-story 43,000 square foot family medical center.

A pad for a fast food restaurant is also under contract and future plans call for more office space with several out-parcels for sale.

The project has started as the Kilpatrick Turnpike is being expanded to the south of I-40 where it will ultimately connect with SH 152 and form a loop from I-35 in NE Oklahoma City and connect with Airport Road and I-44 in SW OKC. The extension is expected to spur more development along the corridor.

OnCue Express is also planning a large location directly south of the Route 66 Landing project.

Ground has already been broken for the McGee building and the main road has been paved. The medical cetner will break ground in the fall with a planned move-in date of December of 2019. The retail center is planned to start this fall.

From Sunday. OnCue under construction to the left, which is the south side of Route 66.

no wonder there have been so many listings popping up in stonebridge this past year... between this and the apartments going in just to the south, i'm sure several of those homeowners are livid.

These apartments directly south of that OnCue are quite nice, especially the ones with the lake view as they sit up on a small hill.

They also seem to be pretty fully leased.

yeah... i should've phrased my post better. i didn't mean to imply that any of these developments are of poor quality. i've noticed a huge uptick of houses for sale in that adjoining neighborhood this past year and figured that there must be some underlying reason... i was thinking that these developments might have sparked a bit of nimby sentiment among the residents... that's complete speculation on my part.

^

I didn't think that by what you had posted, it just reminded me I had driven through that complex and taken a couple of photos. You can't really see it from 66 and I was suprised at its size and quality.

17. Default Re: Route 66 Landing

I find it quite amusing when homeowners in situations like this get angry. Listen, you live pretty close to a turnpike with off ramps. There were open fields around you when you bought it. You can't be that naive in that situation to think that nothing was going to go in that vacant land around you. Here are some bought vs sold for some sales in there in last 90 days:

House 1: bought in 2012 for $495K, sold for $550K in 2018.
    House 2: bought in 2014 for $260K, changed hands multiple times, but sold for $397.5K
    House 3: bought in 2007 (right before bust) for $398K, sold for $340K. Ouch.

Three are active:
    House 4: For sale for $650K. Since it was a new build when they bought it I can only go off mortgage, which suggests original value was around $400K
    House 5: For Sale for $579.5K. Originally bought for $586K in 2015, but have a monster mortgage for much more. don't know what's going on there.
    House 6: For Sale for $449K. Originally bought for $433K last year.

Seems to me there is a sense of panic selling going on. Personally I don't think those apartments are hurting them at all. I would suggest people wait and see what goes in. Might be stuff that is pretty desirable and values might go up more. This area kinda reminds me of Glen Eagles in Edmond in size and scope. They are benefiting pretty well up there with whats going in down the road at Chisholm Creek/Costco.

All I know, as one who traverses 66 for my daily commute, the residents of those apartments have no regard whatsoever of traffic laws and the safety of themselves or other drivers when pulling in and out from 66. Lord knows what kind of mess with come once OnCue is open. Though I will preface that I am glad for the OnCue, just wondering what they will do with that intersection.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    These apartments directly south of that OnCue are quite nice, especially the ones with the lake view as they sit up on a small hill.

They also seem to be pretty fully leased.

It surprised me that none of the apartments that face east towards the lake were built with balconies to sit on and enjoy the view. Seems like a missed oportunity.

Apartments are usually never good for a neighborhood, but these should be some premium aparments what with their location, although I have never checked to see what they rent for.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    It surprised me that none of the apartments that face east towards the lake were built with balconies to sit on and enjoy the view. Seems like a missed oportunity.

Apartments are usually never good for a neighborhood, but these should be some premium aparments what with their location, although I have never checked to see what they rent for.
    I considered moving there a couple years ago, but chose Woodrun Village instead. A 1 bed/1 bath apt starts at 680. 2 bed/2 bath can go for as high as 965.

I drove by there and through Stonebridge for an open house this weekend too. There were some vocal residents who protested and shut down Route 66 Landing project before it started. For awhile anyway.

I never saw anything mentioned about it being approved, then drove by there in July and they were moving dirt as I posted upthread.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post

Though I saw your use of the word “usually,” it should be pointed out that in most cases apartments are only bad for subdivisions like the one next door. Almost always when new apartment buildings are built and density increases, property values increase right along with it. More people per square mile means more amenities and that can increase the quality of life in the some aspects.

This isn’t a knock on the suburbs as I can’t wait to get the hell of out of LA and move to the suburban areas which I greatly prefer over urban living, but I wanted to point this out. I suspect propert values have risen in this area since these apartments were built.

One could argue that quality of life is subjective and define what a ‘good’ development is. That same person can go on to say the increased traffic isn’t worth it. I’d say they should consider living further away from a major metro area.

I think it kind of depends on where you are. I think about where I live, everyone is on acre lots and if an apartment moved in across the street I’d be pissed. I moved here to be away from that density and I’d imagine most people do, so I’d think that would be a negative impact on my situation. Granted zoning should keep that from happening.

If you don't want people moving out to where you live then buy all the land around your property. You should never be surprised if empty land gets developed near you, you are just naive or foolish to think that it will remain as is. The same things in urban areas and your "view" of whatever you have. Unless you own the land between you and your "view" you have no control over it.

Good apartments are good for neighborhoods. Bad apartments are probably bad for neighborhoods. Apartments are not predestined. It just depends on the design.

Thread Information