Widgets Magazine

Thread: Huge Lot on SE side of North May & Memorial

1. Default Huge Lot on SE side of North May & Memorial

Does anybody know the backstory on the huge lot at Memorial and May on the southeast side? You have this busy corridor surrounded by commerce of all kinds and then this huge lot that has set empty with a 'for sale' sign for 25 years. Anybody have the inside on this? A premium prime spot in which they must be asking the moon for.

This picture says it's from 2007. Directly to the east of this is now four or five hotels/motels.

Default Re: Huge Lot on SE side of North May & Memorial

It's the future site of Newt's base. They're just waiting for him to officially move into office ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    It's the future site of Newt's base. They're just waiting for him to officially move into office ;-)
    Didn't you hear him in Florida? He's going to relocate to the moon.

He will also build a giant laser beam to carve "Newt Rulz" on the face of the moon to let the whole world know.

Quote Originally Posted by NoOkie View Post
    Didn't you hear him in Florida? He's going to relocate to the moon.

He will also build a giant laser beam to carve "Newt Rulz" on the face of the moon to let the whole world know.
    Uhhh, that's why I said that, lol. They're using it for a test site before they build the real base on the moon.

Sorry, back to discussion...

I imagine no one has bought the site yet, because all development along Memorial is the same. No one has been able to come up with a different concept!

I'm sure someone with real insight will chime in with some knowledge on this, but I seem to recall years ago that the North Quail Creek homeowners blocked development for that corner. I recall it had something to do with drainage and runoff that would impact North QC. I'm not sure if there is some truth to that or not, but I also had a NQC resident business aquintance years ago that I think validated that as well.

Slap a giant OnCue there.

7. Default Re: Huge Lot on SE side of North May & Memorial

Quote Originally Posted by LuccaBrasi View Post
    I'm sure someone with real insight will chime in with some knowledge on this, but I seem to recall years ago that the North Quail Creek homeowners blocked development for that corner. I recall it had something to do with drainage and runoff that would impact North QC. I'm not sure if there is some truth to that or not, but I also had a NQC resident business aquintance years ago that I think validated that as well.
    Thanks for the reply. That's interesting. I wonder if technology has changed to where that would still be an issue?

diggyba, That would be one huge OnCue. That lot is much bigger than it looks in the picture. It's hard to get perspective that shows how big of space we're talking.

Quote Originally Posted by LuccaBrasi View Post
    Considering the way the land slopes there, I'm positive that would be 100% true!

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    Slap a giant OnCue there.
    Oncue is rumored to buy up some properties and land at the SE corner of W. Memorial and Western and build a new store there.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    Thanks for the reply. That's interesting. I wonder if technology has changed to where that would still be an issue?

diggyba, That would be one huge OnCue. That lot is much bigger than it looks in the picture. It's hard to get perspective that shows how big of space we're talking.
    I'm sure technology could have solved it 20 years ago. We are building skyscrapers more than a half mile high in the desert and on man made islands, and underwater hotels. I'm sure we can solve a routine "drainage" problem.

11. Default Re: Huge Lot on SE side of North May & Memorial

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I'm sure technology could have solved it 20 years ago. We are building skyscrapers more than a half mile high in the desert and on man made islands, and underwater hotels. I'm sure we can solve a routine "drainage" problem.
    It could have been too expensive at the time, there's all kinds of reasons that they might not have proceeded because of Quail Creek residents concerns. My point was maybe that's changed in twenty years. That's all.

I pray to God that they do build something here but something worthwhile, not just some boring development that wouldn't even be impressive in Okay, Oklahoma.

I too have long wondered at why this prime corner has stayed undeveloped as retail has built up all around it. It would seem to be a prime shopping corner, but the trouble is, most big box retail has already found a home within a mile or two. I would have to think that it could only include somewhat new-to-the market retail like Costco, World Market, Trader Joes and REI. Apart from that, I can't seem to think of what else could locate there. Maybe an office park with those boring ranch-house structures. It just seems that with development pushing to 150th, 164th and beyond, it can't possibly stay empty for much longer. Can it?

Thread Information