Widgets Magazine

Thread: anyone else see the lindsay st. widening from jenkins to classen as a waste of $?

Default anyone else see the lindsay st. widening from jenkins to classen as a waste of $?

Having driven that route for the past few years, i never once encountered it so backed up where i thought to myself "man, they need to make this 4 lanes" (gameday doesn't count. All of norman is crowded then). I guess I feel that for as much money as they are spending, it could have been used in a much better way.

2. Default Re: anyone else see the lindsay st. widening from jenkins to classen as a waste of $?

In 5 years, you will be thankful that it was widened already.

Default Re: anyone else see the lindsay st. widening from jenkins to classen as a waste of $?

Quote Originally Posted by soonerfan_in_okc View Post
    Having driven that route for the past few years, i never once encountered it so backed up where i thought to myself "man, they need to make this 4 lanes" (gameday doesn't count. All of norman is crowded then). I guess I feel that for as much money as they are spending, it could have been used in a much better way.
    You obviously haven't driven on it during the morning rush hour then. Once I had to take one of our cars to the Alpine Motors shop for repairs, and instead of taking Boyd and then Berry south to Lindsay which I should have done, I made the mistake of going straight to Lindsay itself. Once I crossed the tracks, it took me 45 minutes to get to the shop-all because of traffic. I thought I was in Austin or something. This was 4 years back. And it hasn't changed, it's getting worse. Traffic during the morning (between 8:00 and 10:00) is very bad. I am very glad it's getting widened, as it will not make for more room on that stretch, it will also get new sidewalks on both sides. Right now, the only sidewalk is on the south side and it's very narrow, with few ramps to transition between streets; most of the time I find myself riding on the road with little room to spare until I get to the tracks. Not good when the street's very busy during the semester.

Default Re: anyone else see the lindsay st. widening from jenkins to classen as a waste of $?

I have seen Lindsay backed so many times and so much so that if you didn’t know any better most would have thought there was a football game.
    From campus west to I-35 except for lighting Lindsay hasn’t seen many significant changes in many years.
    This is in spite of tremendous OU and city of Norman growth.

But the widening from Jenkins to Classen is not a waste of money

The entire street needs to be widened. Hopefully they tackle the stretch from I-35 to Jenkins next.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    The entire street needs to be widened. Hopefully they tackle the stretch from I-35 to Jenkins next.
    Without an extreme amount of public pressure I don’t think the current City of Norman leadership will ever be interested widening any more of Lindsay. There is a very strong antigrowth faction in Norman that only grows stronger as you get closer to campus.
    The priorities of the leadership in Norman seem to be much more about social and environmental issues.

I predict the place going in by Chili's will celebrate its 40th anniversary well before this ever happens.

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    Without an extreme amount of public pressure I don’t think the current City of Norman leadership will ever be interested widening any more of Lindsay. There is a very strong antigrowth faction in Norman that only grows stronger as you get closer to campus.
    The priorities of the leadership in Norman seem to be much more about social and environmental issues.
    Completely ridiculous. Not just the traffic issues but the appearance of the street. No sidewalks, outdated lighting, no curbs in some places, etc. It is embarassing that such a road is the main gateway to campus.

9. Default Re: anyone else see the lindsay st. widening from jenkins to classen as a waste of $?

Completely ridiculous. Not just the traffic issues but the appearance of the street. No sidewalks, outdated lighting, no curbs in some places, etc. It is embarassing that such a road is the main gateway to campus.
    Go into Campus from Highway 9 - much better gateway into campus. ;-)

Dr. Cross, whose large house on Lindsey with expensive landscaping close to Lindsey, would no doubt be a vigorous foe.

i just wish they would make lindsay 4 lane (w/ or w/ out turning lane) from I-35 to berry .. that would solve 80% of the traffic problem

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Go into Campus from Highway 9 - much better gateway into campus. ;-)
    Since the modern age of the automobile Lindsey has been the traditional gateway for the majority of visitors to OU

At a minimum I would like to see another west bound lane on Lindsey from the creek just east of Berry to Berry Street with a extra right hand turn lane.

This would not remove any homes. There is plenty of land and it would increase traffic capacity.
    From Berry west bound Lindsey should be 4 landed to I-35 where there is plenty of space to keep the center turn lane and add 4 lanes to the street.

14. Default Re: anyone else see the lindsay st. widening from jenkins to classen as a waste of $?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    i just wish they would make lindsay 4 lane (w/ or w/ out turning lane) from I-35 to berry .. that would solve 80% of the traffic problem
    That is all that is really needed. There would be no point to 4 lane all the way through campus unless they really wanted to tick off a ton of residents.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    That is all that is really needed. There would be no point to 4 lane all the way through campus unless they really wanted to tick off a ton of residents.
    i agree i guess you would go about 50 feet passed berry .. to make that a bigger intersectoin ... it would also make lindsay a much better looking street for the business ..and i'm sure they would add sidewalks all the way to campus

Quote Originally Posted by Dekoung View Post
    Dr. Cross, whose large house on Lindsey with expensive landscaping close to Lindsey, would no doubt be a vigorous foe.
    FYI. I believe DR.Cross is dead.

pretty sure that Dr cross' house was the home for boren before the boyd house was renovated

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    pretty sure that Dr cross' house was the home for boren before the boyd house was renovated
    Boyd House was Dr. Cross' residence, which is why Boren had it renovated for the presidential residence and moved there. Prior to Boren, the president's home for many years was at Lindsey and Pickard, sw corner. I think the now former law school dean Andy Coats (who has also been DA in OK County, and was the OKC mayor at one time and has served as OBA President) owns that property at lindsey/pickard now, or did while he was dean.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Boyd House was Dr. Cross' residence, which is why Boren had it renovated for the presidential residence and moved there. Prior to Boren, the president's home for many years was at Lindsey and Pickard, sw corner. I think the now former law school dean Andy Coats (who has also been DA in OK County, and was the OKC mayor at one time and has served as OBA President) owns that property at lindsey/pickard now, or did while he was dean.
    You're exactly right. Boren wanted the Boyd House because it was closer to the University and made him feel more connected. I was at OU when Cross was president and went to high school with his son, Braden. As far as I can remember, the Boyd House was the only place he lived while he was president.

Thread Information