Widgets Magazine
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Prunepicker Guest

    Default Pawlenty Drops Out Of Presidential Race

    Michele Bachmann cleaned his clock at the debate.

    From KOCO News
    AMES, Iowa (CNN) -- Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty
    abandoned his bid for the GOP presidential nomination on Sunday after
    a disappointing finish in the Ames Straw Poll in Iowa.

    "We needed a boost from Ames that didn't happen," Pawlenty told
    staff on a conference call Sunday morning, CNN learned.

    Speaking to ABC's "This Week," Pawlenty said his campaign needed a
    lift in the straw poll.

    "The pathway forward for me doesn't really exist and so we're going
    to end the campaign," he said.

    Pawlenty finished a distant third in the poll, behind Minnesota Rep.
    Michele Bachmann and Texas Rep. Ron Paul.

    Pawlenty's message Sunday was the opposite of the one he offered
    after the results of the straw poll came out Saturday.
    But the best news this far is Romney finishing very poorly!

    The next closest contenders were:
    former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum with 1,657 votes,
    businessman Herman Cain with 1,456 votes,
    former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney with 567 votes.

    That was slightly less than the 718 who wrote in the name of Texas
    Gov. Rick Perry, who declared his candidacy Saturday and wasn't even
    on the ballot.
    We're getting rid of a Collectivist president so there's no need to
    elect another.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Pawlenty Drops Out Of Presidential Race

    Romney scored that low? Congratulations, Mr Obama...

  3. #3
    Prunepicker Guest

    Default Re: Pawlenty Drops Out Of Presidential Race

    I have no idea what's been posted on this thread, and could not care
    less.

    Right now it looks like Michele Bachmann may be the Republican
    candidate. If Ron Paul can manage to not look like a deer in the
    headlights then he's got a good chance. If that doesn't happen then
    he's toast.

    I'd like for Ron Paul to win but I won't be disappointed with Bachmann as
    President-ress. The best news it that Obama is a one term illusion of
    a president. There's no doubt about that. Let's all hope that Romney
    and Gingrich are history.

    Pousser des hourras! Anybody but Obama-Romney-Gingrich.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Pawlenty Drops Out Of Presidential Race

    I think Joe Scarborough had the best take on it. Iowa Republicans usually pick some extremist outlier who will fade early in the primary season. Granted, the party as a whole has gone so far off the deep end that a moonbat could be the nominee this year, but will probably be Perry rather than Bachmann.

  5. #5
    Prunepicker Guest

    Default Re: Pawlenty Drops Out Of Presidential Race

    Quote Originally Posted by bornhere View Post
    I think Joe Scarborough had the best take on it. Iowa Republicans
    usually pick some extremist outlier who will fade early in the primary
    season.
    Unfortunately for Scarborough there isn't an extremist running.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,749
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Pawlenty Drops Out Of Presidential Race

    Quote Originally Posted by bornhere View Post
    I think Joe Scarborough had the best take on it. Iowa Republicans usually pick some extremist outlier who will fade early in the primary season. Granted, the party as a whole has gone so far off the deep end that a moonbat could be the nominee this year, but will probably be Perry rather than Bachmann.
    Perry's past stands will surely come back to haunt him. It will be interesting to see the contrasting views of fellow Texans, Perry and Ron Paul, clash. Perry is all for the proposed NAFTA Super Highway thru Texas to Canada, while Paul opposes it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,749
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Pawlenty Drops Out Of Presidential Race

    Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Unfortunately for Scarborough there isn't an extremist running.
    LOL, how would you know? You're an extremist yourself.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Pawlenty Drops Out Of Presidential Race

    Quote Originally Posted by bornhere View Post
    I think Joe Scarborough had the best take on it. Iowa Republicans usually pick some extremist outlier who will fade early in the primary season. Granted, the party as a whole has gone so far off the deep end that a moonbat could be the nominee this year, but will probably be Perry rather than Bachmann.
    I see very little difference between the two.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Pawlenty Drops Out Of Presidential Race

    My whole life I've believed we are ready for a female president. It never occurred to me that people are still so backward in their thinking that they wouldn't vote for a woman or would hate a candidate based on her gender. I can't believe I am writing this but after all the below the belt scrunity in matters a man would never be asked about - coupled with the flat out meanness I've seen aimed at women politicians - on both sides of the aisle - I have to rethink my idealistic belief that people are ready for a woman president. I don't think we are, no matter what people "say" when asked about it. Their attitudes come through loud and clear.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Pawlenty Drops Out Of Presidential Race

    Penny, i think the country would elect a woman that the electorate feels is capable of assuming the office. There is flat out meanness aimed at male politicians as well. Heck I remember a couple of female politicians in the last election cycle telling their male opponents to "Man Up" during debates and not being called out for it. I could only imagine the outcry if the same males told a female candidate to "act like a lady".

  11. Default Re: Pawlenty Drops Out Of Presidential Race

    PQ...unfortunately I think the "best" female candidate was Hillary, regardless of what people think of her politics. She was the best, at this time, in terms of being able to actually get respect and attention of voters and win the general election. Unfortunately I haven't really seen a strong female candidate come forward that wants to run for president. Another good one is still hiding out somewhere.

    I started having thoughts of what it would do if Obama asked Biden to step down after this term and have Hillary as his running mate. It would get us closer to finally busting the glass ceiling once and for all (well...ideally).

  12. #12

    Default Re: Pawlenty Drops Out Of Presidential Race

    Quote Originally Posted by PennyQuilts View Post
    My whole life I've believed we are ready for a female president. It never occurred to me that people are still so backward in their thinking that they wouldn't vote for a woman or would hate a candidate based on her gender. I can't believe I am writing this but after all the below the belt scrunity in matters a man would never be asked about - coupled with the flat out meanness I've seen aimed at women politicians - on both sides of the aisle - I have to rethink my idealistic belief that people are ready for a woman president. I don't think we are, no matter what people "say" when asked about it. Their attitudes come through loud and clear.
    Do you really think the two prominent woman candidates that we've seen are worth considering? Their views are worse than Brownback and Santorum. The only difference is that you guys take them seriously. Of course we make fun of them. We would do the same to anyone with views that ignorant who you guys tried to put in the highest office in the world. It's not about their being female.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Pawlenty Drops Out Of Presidential Race

    Quote Originally Posted by HewenttoJared View Post
    Do you really think the two prominent woman candidates that we've seen are worth considering? Their views are worse than Brownback and Santorum. The only difference is that you guys take them seriously. Of course we make fun of them. We would do the same to anyone with views that ignorant who you guys tried to put in the highest office in the world. It's not about their being female.
    Happy Birthday Elvis!

  14. #14

    Default Re: Pawlenty Drops Out Of Presidential Race

    Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    PQ...unfortunately I think the "best" female candidate was Hillary, regardless of what people think of her politics. She was the best, at this time, in terms of being able to actually get respect and attention of voters and win the general election. Unfortunately I haven't really seen a strong female candidate come forward that wants to run for president. Another good one is still hiding out somewhere.

    I started having thoughts of what it would do if Obama asked Biden to step down after this term and have Hillary as his running mate. It would get us closer to finally busting the glass ceiling once and for all (well...ideally).
    Hillary was crucified in many ways by the right on terms directly related to being female. My point is that when one side or the other gets a female candidate they don't like - for whatever reason - they go after her in ways that are emotional, irrelevant, unfair and meanspirited. We will hear about what a bad mother, wife, daughter she is, how selfish, blah, blah, blah, and the ones who go after her WON'T GIVE UP no matter what. The worst came with Palin (people claim it is because she is a terrible candidate but that doesn't explain why they can't just drop it). Hillary got the same kind of crap speculating about her gender, whether she "actually" loved her husband or was using his political ties, she was criticized on her clothing, how she got her job at the Rose Law Firm and just in general, people personally hated her and fixated on things that you'd never even consider in a male. At first, I thought it was just Hillary but the latest high profile female politicians attract the exact same kind of fixated hatred. They want to claim it is justified but peel it back, it is just people unwilling to treat female candidates with the same standards as they do a male and getting way too emotional about it. The way they went after Palin in the campaign - you'd think she was going for the top spot instead of the vice presidency. All that talk about having a special needs child and out of control children - some would come right out and say that she needed to be home with them instead of running for office (despite having a supportive and competent spouse to take up the slack). Yet Biden ran when he was widowed with young kids and no one was willing to compare the two or suggest that he was being an irresponsible parent by doing so. It is a clear double standard and the ones who give lip service to women and men being equal (male and female) are often the worst.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Pawlenty Drops Out Of Presidential Race

    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Penny, i think the country would elect a woman that the electorate feels is capable of assuming the office. There is flat out meanness aimed at male politicians as well. Heck I remember a couple of female politicians in the last election cycle telling their male opponents to "Man Up" during debates and not being called out for it. I could only imagine the outcry if the same males told a female candidate to "act like a lady".
    I also believed that until I saw the level of emotional response from people who disliked the crop of female candidates. If they want to simply not vote for them or campaign for their opponents, I'd accept what you are saying. That is not what we see. We see absolute hysterical responses by people who seem so caught up in personalities that they can no longer be rational about it. I am not talking about the candidates being mean to each other, Jersey. I am talking about the reaction of the public. Anyone who reads every negative news article and/or comes on here to post about the latest flub isn't doing it because the female candidate is lousy. They are doing it because they have an emotional reaction that isn't pretty. That isn't about not being the best or a bad candidate - that is about some weird emotional reaction from people who clearly are caught up in something sick.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Pawlenty Drops Out Of Presidential Race

    We went after Palin because she's unqualified to manage a Burger King, not because she's a woman.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Pawlenty Drops Out Of Presidential Race

    Pen, nothing said about Palin or Bachmann is as nasty and vitriolic as the things said about Obama ........Not even in the same ballpark. We have 2 constant posters on here who evidently make their livings demonizing him. Every now and them they hit the target, but those are accidents pure and simple. Obama irks me as much as the two ladies in waiting but he does not deserve most of the crap slung at him.

    Yes, I wanted to live to see a black and a woman become president. I got one of those wishes and have been disappointed. I hope like hell that when we get a woman I WON'T be disappointed. I sure ain't gonna vote for a "skirt."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Consumer Spending Drops, I Wonder Why?
    By jmarkross in forum Politics
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 08:18 PM
  2. The Presidential Amateur Hour
    By Prunepicker in forum Politics
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 04-26-2011, 05:38 PM
  3. Presidential Divider - he still doesn't get it
    By Prunepicker in forum Politics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-14-2011, 12:41 PM
  4. KFOR Drops HD Signal Every Time They Put Up A Weather Map
    By dismayed in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 05-19-2009, 11:33 PM
  5. Americans question Bush ethics; approval drops to new low
    By PUGalicious in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-31-2005, 06:22 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO