Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robinson Underpass

Default Robinson Underpass

Anyone know when this is supposed to be finished? They originally said by mid summer, before school starts. I just dont see that hapening. Just curious if anyone has any info.

Default Re: Robinson Underpass

Huh? You gotta be more specific... The only place I can think of where Robinson is an underpass is below the Crosstown...

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Huh? You gotta be more specific... The only place I can think of where Robinson is an underpass is below the Crosstown...
    At the top of this thread page it says, Norman.

From what I've been told, they are looking at completion sometime in late January.

Oh, my bad, lol...I hardly pay attention to beginnings, just clicked on the newest poster link. Carry on! ;-)

January huh? I live on Flood so I get stuck at that damn light everyday. You think they would make the north south flood robinson light just a little longer. Cant wait for game day traffic.

6. Default Re: Robinson Underpass

Hopefully people coming in for games are smart and take Sooner or Hwy 9.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Hopefully people coming in for games are smart and take Sooner or Hwy 9.
    I know it will never happen, but it would be great if they could four lane Flood from Robinson to Highway 9.

8. Default Re: Robinson Underpass

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    I know it will never happen, but it would be great if they could four lane Flood from Robinson to Highway 9.
    Especially since Flood stops a couple of blocks south of Lindsey St.

I can't even park in my driveway on game days. Have to use the bike or plan ahead and park on the side of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by JimTrabersColostomyBag View Post
    Especially since Flood stops a couple of blocks south of Lindsey St.
    That's probably why I said I know it will never happen.

Ha, Flood goes straight through residential areas, as well. I love that OU is basically surrounded by houses, but it is a pain on game day. Come early, stay late.

12. Default Re: Robinson Underpass

Use to live off Flood where it ends near campus...yeah extending it is never going to happen. Well, unless Norman wants to spend millions to buy out houses. Plenty of other options to use instead of tearing through residential areas for an expanded road that isn't really needed.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Use to live off Flood where it ends near campus...yeah extending it is never going to happen. Well, unless Norman wants to spend millions to buy out houses. Plenty of other options to use instead of tearing through residential areas for an expanded road that isn't really needed.
    But an additonal 4 lane road from North to South is absolutely needed, and often discussed at City of Norman planning committee meetings.

14. Default Re: Robinson Underpass

The probably is just finding the room for it. Berry would be logical, but lack of room there.

24th East is getting there, but needs to be widened from Lindsey to Robinson.
    12th East is already there.
    Porter is already 4.
    Flood runs out of room.
    24th West is there.
    36th West is there.

The need is definitely there, they just don't have many options.

15. Default Re: Robinson Underpass

^Actually many people already use HWY 9 on gamedays, Lloyd Noble parking anyone? Plus the shuttle service means that lot is always full on game days. I know, I've parked there on several occasions.

Porter is probably going to be widened a bit further with a center turn lane (at least if the plan in place is implemented).

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that 12th East can actually be widened further if needed, but I maybe wrong on that.

Quote Originally Posted by BDK View Post
    Ha, Flood goes straight through residential areas, as well. I love that OU is basically surrounded by houses, but it is a pain on game day. Come early, stay late.
    Almost all of the suggestions to widen a street in Norman use traffic on gamedays as their primary evidence. That's 6 days a year, people. We can manage.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Almost all of the suggestions to widen a street in Norman use traffic on gamedays as their primary evidence. That's 6 days a year, people. We can manage.
    This

I mean Norman is one of the the most unique, quaint, and urban towns in Oklahoma. Let's not destroy its character by widening the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
    This

I mean Norman is one of the the most unique, quaint, and urban towns in Oklahoma. Let's not destroy its character by widening the streets.
    give me a break ... lindsay is horrible traffic all the time .. and the current curbs/sidewalks look terrible ....

a 4 lane (w/ or w/ out turn lane) streetscaped Lindsay from I-35 to berry would do wonders to make norman look better

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    give me a break ... lindsay is horrible traffic all the time .. and the current curbs/sidewalks look terrible ....

a 4 lane (w/ or w/ out turn lane) streetscaped Lindsay from I-35 to berry would do wonders to make norman look better
    Agree. It is the ONE street I think should be widened in central Norman. Flood, Boyd, etc. are all fine.

The Robinson underpass will be a huge improvement. Hopefully the Lindsey underpass is not far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    ... Hopefully the Lindsey underpass is not far behind.
    I'm not certain that one is even still at the it might be nice stage. Memory could just be too fragmented, but I seem to recall that idea got scrapped around the same time Robinson final plan became an underpass instead of an overpass and the city was able to save the Duffy St. at-grade crossing just south of downtown. Could be wrong (it certainly wouldn't be the first time.)

From the City of Norman website:

Underpass and overpass options were evaluated for a grade separated crossing and it was determined that an underpass was the only feasible alternative for this location. The vertical profile was set such that a two-span structural steel plate girder bridge would provide the necessary horizontal and vertical clearances to the roadway. The estimated project cost at the Lindsey Street location is about $6,914,000.

I don't know the status of the project though.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post

Well, I don't live there anymore, so as long as they keep sidewalks I guess it'd be okay; I just don't think it'd be the same safe pedestrian atmosphere. Would you at least advocate keeping the speed limit at 25 M.P.H.?

23. Default Re: Robinson Underpass

Well, I don't live there anymore, so as long as they keep sidewalks I guess it'd be okay; I just don't think it'd be the same safe pedestrian atmosphere. Would you at least advocate keeping the speed limit at 25 M.P.H.?
    Actually it's anything but a safe pedestrian atmosphere, and sidewalks are actually lacking. You may not have seen Lindsey traffic recently, long lines of cars abound pretty much all day, everyday. I have ridden my bike there, on the side of the road, with somewhat of a decent shoulder you'd think a bicycle would have no problems but when you have car after car passing you at 30-35 mph just a few feet away it's not exactly one of the easiest bike rides. Lindsey definitely needs good sidewalks on both sides between 24th Ave. West and Berry.

24. Default Re: Robinson Underpass

Lindsey does need new sidewalks...for a large portion of it. As far as widening...it needs to be 4 lanes + turn lane from I-35 to Berry, and then from Jenkins to 36th SE. Then through campus I would like to see an improve to the landscaping with unique lighting, sidewalks, bike lanes, and vegetation. It would also be nice to raised walkways over Lindsey in campus to remove a lot of traffic lights there, add in more round abouts, and divert all truck traffic off of Lindsey down alternate routes.

yes the speed is not what bothers me ... ..

if i could pick i would make lindsay 4 lanes with a median with bike lanes and sidwalks .. make it street scaped and a true gateway to OU ... this would be from I 35 to berry ..

from berry to jenkins lindsay would be 2 lane but with the same quality sidewalks and bike lanes .. then from jenkins to whereever it would go back to 4 lanes

Thread Information