Widgets Magazine

Thread: Progressive Rural Cities

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Progressive Rural Cities

Rural areas for the most part don't seem to be faring too well in this day and age. I know western Kansas has towns that are slowly but surely dying and becoming ghost towns as the older population dies off and the younger generation moves to larger cities. It's the same story almost everywhere you go. My guess is in Oklahoma, the most thriving rural areas are either small towns within the economic market over a major city, such as Shawnee or Guthrie, or towns that have some sort of major college or military presence pumping up their economy. Places like Enid, Lawton, and Stillwater come to mind.

Default Re: Progressive Rural Cities

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Rural areas for the most part don't seem to be faring too well in this day and age. I know western Kansas has towns that are slowly but surely dying and becoming ghost towns as the older population dies off and the younger generation moves to larger cities. It's the same story almost everywhere you go. My guess is in Oklahoma, the most thriving rural areas are either small towns within the economic market over a major city, such as Shawnee or Guthrie, or towns that have some sort of major college or military presence pumping up their economy. Places like Enid, Lawton, and Stillwater come to mind.
    Ardmore is booming. I-35 halfway between OKC and Dallas. That city has changed so much over the last 15 years.

3. Default Re: Progressive Rural Cities

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    Ardmore is booming. I-35 halfway between OKC and Dallas. That city has changed so much over the last 15 years.
    Yep... We have owned land in Ardmore for about 10 years now and spend most weekends, and plan to retire, there. It is amazing how much things have changed.... Downtown Ardmore has really gone through a renaissance of sorts and is always packed on Friday and Saturday nights. They have a vibrant performing arts culture going on there too.

And while I'm no fan of chain restaurants..... They are building a Chick-fil-a at Rockford and 12th.

If you are in the area be sure and go downtown and check out the antique shops and boutiques that have popped up and also try places like Ten Star Pizza, Red Dirt Brewery, Cafe Alley, and Edamame.... All are kicking out top notch food.

4. Default Re: Progressive Rural Cities

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Yep... We have owned land in Ardmore for about 10 years now and spend most weekends, and plan to retire, there. It is amazing how much things have changed.... Downtown Ardmore has really gone through a renaissance of sorts and is always packed on Friday and Saturday nights. They have a vibrant performing arts culture going on there too.

And while I'm no fan of chain restaurants..... They are building a Chick-fil-a at Rockford and 12th.

If you are in the area be sure and go downtown and check out the antique shops and boutiques that have popped up and also try places like Ten Star Pizza, Red Dirt Brewery, Cafe Alley, and Edamame.... All are kicking out top notch food.
    It's certainly not the only reason for the boom, but Ardmore's downtown benefitted greatly from a long-running and very successful Main Street program.

5. Default Re: Progressive Rural Cities

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    It's certainly not the only reason for the boom, but Ardmore's downtown benefitted greatly from a long-running and very successful Main Street program.
    Yes they have... In the last 10 years it has gone from ghost town to destination.... I was sad when The Cellar closed their doors recently. That chef was turning out some high caliber meals.

The only thing I have really seen take a turn for the worse in Ardmore is the BBQ scene.... When we bought our land there were several locally owned Q-raunts that turned out solid Q..... Since then all but one have gone out of business and now a Rib Crib has moved in and is always busy...... I guess I need to start offering classes down there to teach people about good BBQ.

Thread Information