Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 19 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Spokies

Default Spokies

Bike share program coming to downtown areas of Oklahoma City
    BY STEVE LACKMEYER slackmeyer@opubco.com
    Published: August 3, 2011

Such programs have “stations” where bicycles are checked in and out with a deposit placed on one's credit card. A nominal charge is sometimes paid for use of the bicycles; final details of the downtown arrangements are pending negotiation of a vendor contract.

Jennifer Gooden, director of the city's sustainability office, hopes to start a pilot program with four locations this fall, with a full program launch next spring. She is still meeting with vendors, though she envisions the program will ultimately include about 90 bicycles.

“It will all be in the central city — Automobile Alley, Bricktown, downtown, and it could go up into the medical business district,” Gooden said.

Read more: Bike share program coming to downtown areas of Oklahoma City | News OK

Default Re: Downtown Bike Share Program

I've been wondering the status of this, was supposed to launch last year, thanks for the update!

It looks as though a request to solicit interested operators for the operation of the program is slated for the council agenda tomorrow.

Any idea why eh are more than a year behind schedule?

I would guess that it is because Autumn (the sustainability director) got married and moved. They had to hire a new person. Obviously, the time it took for the HR process and the new person to get "up to speed on their own" could easily take a year.

6. Default Re: Downtown Bike Share Program

Which I hear is the same reason the idea of a Goodwill recycling center on Hudson Avenue imploded. Not sure Autumn left the city with her tasks done as well as some might have hoped.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Which I hear is the same reason the idea of a Goodwill recycling center on Hudson Avenue imploded.
    Not to mention that it had strong organized opposition at the ready by Rick Dowell and Leonard Sullivan who very much did not want it in the neighborhood.

Default Shared Bicycle Program Ready to Start

Default Re: Shared Bicycle Program Ready to Start

Awesome and the tentative station locations seem well placed save one glaring exception - Automobile Alley.

10. Default Re: Shared Bicycle Program Ready to Start

Well it says a station close to the memorial, which if on the east side of it, is right next to auto alley

It's a good hike from the memorial to most the businesses in AA.

Make no sense why they'd exclude this burgeoning area. Would love to know why.

Maybe they are thinking like some others do and mean to include Automobile Alley when they say Midtown.

13. Default Re: Shared Bicycle Program Ready to Start

This program will be a new culprit addition to spreading deadly, fatal, infectious bacterias. The handles on those bikes will be shared with hundreds of sweating hands. Lets hope the city will provide sanitary wipes at every station. If you don't see one, don't even think a second on taking a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    This program will be a new culprit addition to spreading deadly, fatal, infectious bacterias. The handles on those bikes will be shared with hundreds of sweating hands. Lets hope the city will provide sanitary wipes at every station. If you don't see one, don't even think a second on taking a chance.
    No more than opening a door, pushing a elevator button, moving a chair, etc;

15. Default Re: Shared Bicycle Program Ready to Start

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    No more than opening a door, pushing a elevator button, moving a chair, etc;
    I know, right, but these are bikes where the risk will be elevated due to people sweating from peddling.

16. Default Re: Shared Bicycle Program Ready to Start

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I'm not sure what you do on the handle bars of your bike, but I think we'll be just fine.

I bet a lot of people who ride regularly (or will ride regularly) will wear gloves to prevent getting the hands dirty anyway. Nothing like wiping that crumb off of your white business shirt with black grime from the mix of your sweat and the rubber on the handlebars. I think everything will be fine.

This is fantastic, but I am curious what the price tag is these days for a fledgling bikeshare program, which is what I consider 6 stations and 95 bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    This is fantastic, but I am curious what the price tag is these days for a fledgling bikeshare program, which is what I consider 6 stations and 95 bikes.
    Last I checked this was a grant. Anyhow OKC needs more bicycle activity in the core

Except on high humidity days I don't think there will be a lot sweating taking place anyhow. I now ride as part of my daily routine and I rarely ever come close to breaking a sweat.

I for one am excited about this program. I don't live or work downtown. But I can see a few evening bike rides this spring/summer to see the city from a different vantage point.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I for one am excited about this program. I don't live or work downtown. But I can see a few evening bike rides this spring/summer to see the city from a different vantage point.
    If you have not ridden a bicycle for years you will be surprised how much ground you can cover in very little time, even at a leisurely pace. Most people should be able to go from the Memorial to the Arena in about 2 minutes (barring traffic lights).

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Last I checked this was a grant. Anyhow OKC needs more bicycle activity in the core
    Yes, it was a grant, but for how much? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Yes, it was a grant, but for how much? lol
    from tomorrows council meeting .. is the resolution for the purchase of the pike rental systems (the city already has the bikes)

Estimated Cost $315,000
    Source of Funds $182,239
    Grants Management – Department of Energy – EECBG From DOE- DEEE0000920-
    REELP (019-6810-0409772-G96004-G4050)

182 of the 315 is the grant

Also from the council agenda you can see they will be entering into an agreement with Sandvault for six of their Cyclestation kiosks, although exact locations have yet to be determined:

Thread Information