Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Spokies

Default Re: Downtown Bike Share Program

Why do you think these are a waste of money? You're pretty much the only person who has said that.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    When I was out jogging this morning I finally took a look at the Spokies racks up close and personal.

This is the one in Midtown next to McNellie's.

Pretty cool. One thing I noticed though is that the rack was already 100% full at 8:30am. Not so cool if you arrived thinking you could turn your bike in to avoid charges and/or avoid having to carry a heavy lock and cable with you.

I did see 4 other people (1 couple and 2 singles) out riding them (from other racks obviously) while I was out.
    Wow. The racks are modular, and I believe that they come in chunks of 4 bike bays, so they may need to relocate some from the Cox Center up to Midtown already. They already purposefully planned way more bays than bikes to accommodate some fluctuations in ridership at different kiosk locations.

2. Default Re: Downtown Bike Share Program

When I was out jogging this morning I finally took a look at the Spokies racks up close and personal.

This is the one in Midtown next to McNellie's.

Pretty cool. One thing I noticed though is that the rack was already 100% full at 8:30am. Not so cool if you arrived thinking you could turn your bike in to avoid charges and/or avoid having to carry a heavy lock and cable with you.

I did see 4 other people (1 couple and 2 singles) out riding them (from other racks obviously) while I was out.
    I've been watching this particular rack since it was installed (I office across the street), and I have yet to see anyone use them during the workweek. I want this program to succeed, but it almost looks like it hasn't been touched since it was installed two weeks ago. Just an observation.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    I've been watching this particular rack since it was installed (I office across the street), and I have yet to see anyone use them during the workweek. I want this program to succeed, but it almost looks like it hasn't been touched since it was installed two weeks ago. Just an observation.
    I'm sure it will be a learning process for the public. I doubt that anyone expected immediate large usage. And it's possible that they may decide to relocate some of the racks based on nonusage.

4. Default Re: Downtown Bike Share Program

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    I've previously expressed skepticism regarding this project. But, what's done is done, and I do find the concept pretty cool. Now that my wife and I are actively trying to buy a house in the area I find them even cooler.

I think geographically, this area is a no-brainer for a rack. Hopefully it will catch on soon.

nm

Are there a couple, or quite a few, open on purpose slots at each station? I could see for example coming into okc early morning on the bus, a quick breakfast at Devon, take care of some DT business, then grab a bike at the library and just enjoy a short ride around DT, BT or MidT before returning to norman via the bus. I am not real clear though what one does if the library racks are all filled upon return. I suppose the only two options are wait and hope or ride station to station until an open rack is located.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Are there a couple, or quite a few, open on purpose slots at each station? I could see for example coming into okc early morning on the bus, a quick breakfast at Devon, take care of some DT business, then grab a bike at the library and just enjoy a short ride around DT, BT or MidT before returning to norman via the bus. I am not real clear though what one does if the library racks are all filled upon return. I suppose the only two options are wait and hope or ride station to station until an open rack is located.
    There should be some open slots all around the system but where they are placed/quantity is something that will take some time to get right. Also since apparently not all the locations are open yet they may have put more bikes at each station than there will normally be which could be a detriment to the system. Special events may always be problematic since rarely can any system be planed for peak usage.

As others have said, it will take tweeking...just a matter of fine tuning the logisitics. Sort of like one-way U-Haul trucks ending up in certain popular locations

I have seen someone riding one almost everything I drive through downtown during the daytime. That is a good sign. Even bigger, I feel like these have gotten others who already own bikes to take them for a spin more often - lately I am seeing way more non Spokies bikes on the streets as well.

Just got back from Barcelona, I noticed they have a bike share program and it seems like everone was using them. People had those red and white bikes out everywhere we went.

11. Default Re: Downtown Bike Share Program

RE the distribution, I have also noticed the Bricktown rack 100% full with no empty slots on more than one location, and noticed the one by the federal courthouse (Memorial) with only a single bike in it yesterday. Seems like perhaps people are grabbing them there and making their way to Midtown, Bricktown or other locations and then finding another form of transportation back? Interesting to contemplate the usage patterns and the reasons behind them.

I will say that it would be a major bummer to rent in one place anticipating you will be able to re-rack at your destination, and after peddling over there find out there was no option for turn-in. Especially if the use was between business appointments, for instance, rather than recreation.

12. Default Re: Downtown Bike Share Program

On the other hand, I went by the downtown library yesterday and there was only 5 bikes in the whole rack...

13. Default Re: Downtown Bike Share Program

Apparently someone decided to use one of the bikes for more than getting around downtown/midtown. We came out of the Academy store on 63rd & NW Expressway the other day to find two police cars/3 officers with a guy on the ground in cuffs. Next to them was one of the programs bikes with the baskets full of what looked like probably stolen merchandise. I would assume he had no intention of returning the bike either.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    Apparently someone decided to use one of the bikes for more than getting around downtown/midtown. We came out of the Academy store on 63rd & NW Expressway the other day to find two police cars/3 officers with a guy on the ground in cuffs. Next to them was one of the programs bikes with the baskets full of what looked like probably stolen merchandise. I would assume he had no intention of returning the bike either.
    I hope he didn't use a stolen credit card when he picked it up.

Just received this:

Dear Spokies member,

Thanks for being among the first to try out Oklahoma City’s first bike share program. Because of people like you, OKC is on track to becoming a greener, healthier, more progressive city. And that’s no small feat!

As many of you know from personal experience, it’s been a struggle getting the Spokies software to work seamlessly. Also, there have been several incidents of theft and vandalism. To correct these problems, the kiosks and bikes will need to undergo maintenance. That means The city of Oklahoma City’s Office of Sustainability will have to temporarily shut down all of the Spokies stations and remove the bikes while these improvements are being made. The stations will be shut down today.

But don’t fret! DOKC expects the maintenance to take less a month, and as an act of goodwill, we’re automatically giving an extra month of Spokies service for free to everyone who signed up for a membership on or before May 30.

We appreciate your patience as we work to make Spokies the best it can be. We’ve heard a lot of great feedback and suggestions for improvement, and we’re planning to implement a lot of your recommendations, so keep ‘em coming!

We assure you we’re working hard to get those bikes back on the streets as soon as possible. Attached is the official press release with more information. If you have questions, feel free to give us a call at 235-3500 or contact me personally.

Thanks again for your support,

Jill Brown DeLozier
    Marketing Director
    Downtown Oklahoma City, Inc.
    One Leadership Square
    211 North Robinson, Suite 225
    Oklahoma City, OK 73102
    Direct: (405) 235-3515
    Mobile: (405) 623-7206

Out of courosity, how were these bike secured to the bike rack? Surely they weren't just parked there unsecured. Tampa tried the 'unsecured' route a few years ago. All the bikes were stolen on the first day.

There is a mount on the front of the bike frame. You "plug" it in and it locks the bike to the rack.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    There is a mount on the front of the bike frame. You "plug" it in and it locks the bike to the rack.
    So are the stolen bikes being stolen from the rack, or from individual who rented them and then parked them somewhere? I guess since they are having to make modifications to the racks they are being stolen from there.

Here's a video on the project:

I am assuming that they can get each bike back because they have gps chips in them, but I assume they're wanting to prevent a long-term issue if it's been a bigger deal than expected. I saw a homeless guy riding one around Western and Sheridan the other day and thought that was odd..

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I am assuming that they can get each bike back because they have gps chips in them, but I assume they're wanting to prevent a long-term issue if it's been a bigger deal than expected. I saw a homeless guy riding one around Western and Sheridan the other day and thought that was odd..
    Hahaha. Maybe they are free to "vietnam vets"

The rack walker was totally empty today.

22. Default Re: Downtown Bike Share Program

Are all the racks closed? I saw two bikes on the streets today.

Are all the racks closed? I saw two bikes on the streets today.
    It's been temporarily suspended.

http://kfor.com/2012/06/01/bike-program-suspended/

24. Default Re: Downtown Bike Share Program

I read that - I'm just wondering why there were still bikes on the road.

Stolen maybe? LOL

Thread Information