Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Spokies

Default Re: Downtown Bike Share Program

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    7th and Walnut?
    2nd & Walnut -- That's the SW corner of Level.

How about Los Angeles starting a small bike share program of their own??

Bike-share program coming to Los Angeles
    http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,7130598.story

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    How about Los Angeles starting a small bike share program of their own??
    Small being 400 stations and 4,000 bikes?

4. Default Re: Downtown Bike Share Program

Heck yes! One of the racks is right outside my office door.

The new Bike Station across the street from the Chesapeake Arena (Robinson/Reno)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bikestation1.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	1675Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bikestation3.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	224.9 KB 
ID:	1676Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bikestation2.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	244.4 KB 
ID:	1677

Sweet!

I just took a pic of the new racks added by the Memorial. Honestly, if you ask me they missed a huge opportunity for these to be a complimentary part of the streetscape. The racks I saw today, by the library, Cox, and Memorial, were all extremely nondescript and unoriginal.

Before anyone uses this photo to counter what I just said, I used a creative angle to get a more attractive backdrop in this photo (I just don't see the point in taking an ugly photo of OKC)..hardly anyone will view the rack from this angle.

The rack at the Memorial would be far more visible to visitors if it were closer to the museum entrance.

I read on NewsOK you must have a credit card to use these and debit cards would not be accepted? Is this true. If so, that pretty much throws out any chance at all for the younger generation to use these as they do not have established credit yet or just do not want a credit card (the boat I fall in -- I will always avoid credit cards).

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I read on NewsOK you must have a credit card to use these and debit cards would not be accepted? Is this true. If so, that pretty much throws out any chance at all for the younger generation to use these as they do not have established credit yet or just do not want a credit card (the boat I fall in -- I will always avoid credit cards).

The problem is that debit cards can have a daily limit on how much can be charged. If someone took off with a bike and didn't bring it back the debit card amount might not cover it.

12. Default Re: Downtown Bike Share Program

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Yeah, I'm out. We don't use credit cards. Just keep a couple of different one's locked up for emergencies or vacations.

I guess I'm out as well... I don't believe in Credit Cards...

I'm also out, I got rid of my credit card when I got back to North America. I pay my bills, never needed a credit card before.. guess my one and only Spokie ride was at Better Block on Friday. Shame.

My debit card always worked to check out a bike from the racks all over Europe. I wonder if this is because they didn't want to pay for a WiFi connection at the kiosks to process bank cards. I know there are a lot of different options with kiosk features, including vis a vis registration and payment equipment, I just don't understand how there could be a difference. I have seen bikeshares before that required you to do the payment/registration in advance on a website, but this is a new wrinkle altogether.

15. Default Re: Downtown Bike Share Program

Why can't they work like a RedBox? Simple, easy and accessible.

I was also excited about this, but only use a debit card.

I'm not sure you can't use a debit card.

It probably works just like renting a car -- they put a $500 hold on the account, which is what they do with a credit card as well.

You can sign up on-line and see if it will take your debit card:

http://spokiesokc.com/sign-up/

18. Default Re: Downtown Bike Share Program

1. Depending on which company you use, renting a car with a debit card is anywhere from difficult to nearly impossible.
    2. The website states in more than one place that only credit cards are accepted and that debit cards are not.

I just called the Spokies project office and they said its credit cards only to start but they will be adding more options.

And BTW, I've never had a problem renting a car with a debit card and I've used all types of companies in many different airports over the last five years or so. So, I can't image why Spokies can't implement a similar type of arrangement.

fwiw, avis/budget (or is it budget/avis?) does vehicle rentals via debit card. 200 extra hold at either counter, and 100 extra hold if reserve in advance online via Budget site (not sure if avis is 100 or 200 when reserve online as I prefer the budget site format.

It seems odd that I can rent a umpteen thousand dollar ride for a day, weekend or week plus with only a 200 hold beyond cost of rental, but for a bike ride across OKC I'll need to first buy a membership in advance and then use a regular credit card at the time I want to ride.

Also, it seems there's no guarantee if I get a bike at the Library that there would be a place to park it at the other end rack should I go to Midtown, or, for that matter, that there would be a space available back at the library once my ride is over should I plan on a round trip.

All in all, I think I'll just stick to hoofing it. That has served me well for a number of years, chubby legs and all.

on edit: enterprise, at least some locations, also permit debit cards, though I haven't used them in ages because of their excess paperwork compared to budget/avis for debit users.
    Last edited by kevinpate; 05-21-2012 at 10:32 AM. Reason: added enterprise

21. Default Re: Downtown Bike Share Program

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I just called the Spokies project office and they said its credit cards only to start but they will be adding more options.

And BTW, I've never had a problem renting a car with a debit card and I've used all types of companies in many different airports over the last five years or so. So, I can't image why Spokies can't implement a similar type of arrangement.
    Strange. I feel like I have to jump through all sorts of hoops when I use my debit card. Maybe it is merely a difference in perception.

At any rate, it's good to hear that there will be better options in the future.

I'm surprised that many people are against using credit cards. If you're a responsible person and know how to manage your money, I think it is of great convenience. I have never carried a balance on my credit cards, even in my college days when I first opened one up. My brother taught me to pay it off every month. Plus, I don't know what I would do without my hotel points.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    I'm surprised that many people are against using credit cards. If you're a responsible person and know how to manage your money, I think it is of great convenience. I have never carried a balance on my credit cards, even in my college days when I first opened one up. My brother taught me to pay it off every month. Plus, I don't know what I would do without my hotel points.
    +1 ... the point is get from my card are worth tons to me .... if you are not getting points you are giving away money ..

I carry credit cards but I typically don't use them. It's very, very rare where they are required instead of a debit card.

But I suspect lots of people would prefer or only carry a debit card and this program should take that into consideration.

I plan to speak with them again later today and will share what I discover.

Okay. I went downtown this afternoon to try it out. It did accept my debit card, and I was able to rent a bike. I am unsure as to how much money I was charged though or was "held."

Thread Information