Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Spokies

Default Re: Downtown Bike Share Program

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    @BBatesokc - they are not really designed for leisurely rides around downtown. They are really intended for business people to have an express ride to another part of downtown. If tourist use them also - great.
    JTF - I don't think you're right on this otherwise they'd locate racks deeper in the CBD (farther east on Park Avenue), and not at the Myriad Gardens or OKC Memorial. I also don't believe that there are many people who might spontaneously decide to ride to a meeting or lunch - most people are either cyclists or they aren't, and if they are, they've brought their wheels to work with them, and won't pay for access to a rental that may/may not be available.

Pete - It IS interesting that no racks are in AA, especially with Schlegel Bikes there. Perhaps they tried to strike a deal with Steve, he didn't like the terms and passed. He'd be the go-to guy to maintain the bikes and racks. Steve Lackmeyer would know - he did a story on this (with photo) several months ago.

@BBatesokc - they are not really designed for leisurely rides around downtown. They are really intended for business people to have an express ride to another part of downtown. If tourist use them also - great. I guess it would be possible you could get to another rack and it would be full although I assume there would be a surplus of racks vs the number of bikes in the system.
    I disagree. I think these are designed for SOME of that, but why would a person ride from CBD to Midtown for anything other than lunch? And who is going to ride 2 ways plus eat in 30 minutes or less? Not to mention, who wants to pay $5 on top of their lunch, just to ride a bike to lunch. #fail

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I disagree. I think these are designed for SOME of that, but why would a person ride from CBD to Midtown for anything other than lunch? And who is going to ride 2 ways plus eat in 30 minutes or less? Not to mention, who wants to pay $5 on top of their lunch, just to ride a bike to lunch. #fail
    if you ride CBD to midtown .. you would buy at least a day pass ... check out a bike in CBD ride to midtown and check the bike in at the station ... then after lunch check out another bike and go back to CBD ....

all for that one 5 dollar day pass

Not sure why this is hard to figure out. If you live in Level and want to eat in Midtown you walk across the street and get a bike. You bike to Midtown and you check the bike in. When you are done you check the bike out and ride home - where you check the bike back in. If you work near the Memorial and you need to go to the library - you check the bike out, ride to the library, and bring the bike back. Easily done in under 30 minutes. If you live in Midtown and work downtown you check out a bike in the morning, and check it in downtown. After work you check it out and ride back to Midtown where you check it in.

The bike is transportation to get you from A to B - that's it.

I think this program should be more geared toward downtown tourists and visitors. Bricktown should be the number #1 location and definitely have their own bike rack. People can rent Segways, motorcycles and ride a horse carriage in Bricktown but can not rent a bike?

If you live downtown, midtown, arts, district, deep deuce, etc. you probably own a bike, if that is your choice of transportation.

I definitely like all of the bike racks that have been added all over downtown, more of these please.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    I think this program should be more geared toward downtown tourists and visitors. Bricktown should be the number #1 location and definitely have their own bike rack. People can rent Segways, motorcycles and ride a horse carriage in Bricktown but can not rent a bike?

If you live downtown, midtown, arts, district, deep deuce, etc. you probably own a bike, if that is your choice of transportation.

I definitely like all of the bike racks that have been added all over downtown, more of these please.
    I would agree Bricktown should of had a location - probably ahead of MBG. Deep Deuce is still in growth mode so many people moving there probably don't own a bike. If you only have 700 sq feet storing a bike could be a problem, unless you want to keep it outside where it is subject to the elements.

I now understand the point to point concept; that makes more sense.

Shouldn't there be a location in the heart of Bricktown though? That's the number one destination for tourists. I don't think at this point that people from out of state or even the 'burbs are walking up to Deep Deuce and will just happen to see a bike rental location up there. If the rack was even just a couple of blocks south at the corner of Sheridan and Mickey Mantle, it could better serve tourists and still be close enough/worth the walk to serve Deep Deuce residents.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    if you ride CBD to midtown .. you would buy at least a day pass ... check out a bike in CBD ride to midtown and check the bike in at the station ... then after lunch check out another bike and go back to CBD ....

all for that one 5 dollar day pass
    but again, why spend $5 when it's likely your using it just for lunch break. If im getting a $5 lunch, im not paying $5 for the bike rental and doubling my lunch cost. Furthermore if you do check one station to station, thats assuming that there will be a bike there ready to take you back. Hourly rates are the way to go for DT workers, and keep the day rate stuff for tourists.

I agree. Without having an hourly rate, this will be a failure.
    What do you think the hourly rate should be?

but again, why spend $5 when it's likely your using it just for lunch break. If im getting a $5 lunch, im not paying $5 for the bike rental and doubling my lunch cost. Furthermore if you do check one station to station, thats assuming that there will be a bike there ready to take you back. Hourly rates are the way to go for DT workers, and keep the day rate stuff for tourists.
    if you think you are going to use it a bunch you pay 75 and have as many point to point rides as you would want all year

11. Default Re: Downtown Bike Share Program

I still don't get it. I mean, I see who would use it, but i still think its kinda nuts to target such a tiny demographic. I know a few (5) people in living spaces less than 800 sq feet and they all own their own bike(s). Plus, as pointed out, several of the stations are in high tourism areas - which would indicate targeting that demographic. Its pretty non-intrusive, so, I say go for it if that's what they want to do, I just don't get it. People seem to want trolleys and passenger trains that hardly anyone rides, so why not bikes too. Its all good.

I'm thinking it might not be something you should particpate in.

Blog Entries

Someone should open a backpack store beside the racks. In OKC most don't use backpacks, but would find them handy for spontaneous biking.

I see the use for someone who is downtown and needs to get to another nearby location but doesn't want to use a taxi (as, if you can find one when and where you need it) and the distance is less than what you would want to get your car out of the parking garage for, or if you don't have a car downtown. Seems like bike commuters would have their own and not want to rely on the system. Tourists aren't going to - try getting grandma to go along. But as a temporary point to point solution it will be great.

Blog Entries

I carry one when I do business or tour in the major cities..is much easier than a briefcase. Business people tend to carry them and put their work shoes in them and wear walking shoes to walk or bike to work if they don't take public transportation. They have leg straps with them for their slacks for the biking.

I think biking, hiking, etc. in the urban area requires a major style change and it will take awhile here. It is a small, small group that engages in the lifestyle here, and it will take time to catch on. We are just babies in this urban lifestyle world. Not only is the government having to learn, so are the people. You don't just wake up one day and are "urban".

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    One of the first things my wife bought for herself when we moved to Seattle. Everyone carries one.
    Just make sure you get one with some kind of thermal liner. I took a ride over to Chik-fil-a the other day and grabed my son's backpack to put the food in. It burned my back all the way home.

What do you think the hourly rate should be?
    $1 an hour, this is a public service from a non-profit aka city government, not a for profit venture.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    if you think you are going to use it a bunch you pay 75 and have as many point to point rides as you would want all year
    But what if I only want to use it 1-2 times a month, it's not worth $5 to be able to ride it to Bricktown for lunch. Remind you this is a city service, not a for profit tourism business.

I'm thinking it might not be something you should particpate in.
    Yeah, I'm usuall with Bates, but he clearly doesn't get this one.

I agree with that also. This will get very little casual ridership.

20. Default Re: Downtown Bike Share Program

Yeah, I'm usuall with Bates, but he clearly doesn't get this one.
    From reading your replies, i actually think we're pretty close on this one. I have zero issue with the service in general and actually initially planned to take part. Its the implementation that has me perplexed (station locations and cost). Both of which I think are wrong for a public/city service. But, maybe some 'get fit OKC' group will sponsor them instead of sponsoring the trolleys and reduce the fare to say $1 or even free!

I could go with free. I don't mind the lost bike fee or registering in advance, or even a fee after 30 minutes - but annual membership should be free.

Blog Entries

Either it is useful and worth something or it isn't worth anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Either it is useful and worth something or it isn't worth anything.
    It cost $300,000 to implement. How about the new I-40 - it's free to use. Why do they make the bike riders pay but the cars get to drive on the road for free?

what poor journalism! They clearly don't understand the purpose, nor give better case studies from other cities and Why they use it in DT and dense areas. They even said Bricktown, in which there are no racks there.

Thread Information