Widgets Magazine
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 141516171819
Results 451 to 471 of 471

Thread: Spokies

  1. Default Re: Spokies

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    If they go to Film Row, the rack should be further west IMO,

    Like near the Paramount.
    I was thinking down close to 21c or by the music venue where t is still close to hotel

  2. #452
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,769
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Spokies

    IMO they could easily put one at the very beginning of FR _AND_ by Jones/21c and meet the goals of the program (quarter mile disbursement of stations I think), and I think in time both of those locations would get well utilized.

  3. #453

    Default Re: Spokies

    Spokies is free tomorrow according to their Twitter.

  4. #454
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,769
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Spokies

    And buses. Don't forget about buses.

  5. #455

    Default Re: Spokies

    News release from City of OKC:



    EMBARK Launches New Spokies Bikes & Stations
    New Trek Bikes Offer Better Ride

    Oklahoma City – EMBARK launched major upgrades to the Spokies bike share system last week, by adding 50 new Trek bikes to the fleet and joining the national BCycle network.

    The $304,000 upgrade is possible through the collaborative efforts and funding of the Central Oklahoma Transportation & Parking Authority (COTPA), the City of Oklahoma City, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oklahoma, and the Federal Transportation Administration

    The new bike seats are easier to adjust to accommodate people of different heights, have front and rear hand brakes, have splash guards for a cleaner ride, and the 3-speeds make navigating hills easier. Besides the comfort factor, several bike features will help Spokies manage maintenance and operations. The bikes are all GPS enabled to help track their whereabouts, have puncture-resistant tires for urban terrain and are specific to bike share programs and outdoor storage which makes them more durable. GPS allows pass holders to locate available bikes from a mobile device and track calories burned and miles traveled while taking a Spokies trip.

    “Spokies is an important part of our multimodal transit network,” says Jason Ferbrache, EMBARK Administrator. “This upgrade is an investment in providing a reliable and active transit alternative. Someone who takes a bus or parks their car in the downtown area can use Spokies to get to their final destination. The new bikes, stations and pricing structure will make that faster and easier.”

    The Spokies pricing structure has also been updated. The bikes can be checked out at any of the eight stations in the downtown area for $3.50 per half hour. A monthly pass is $9.95 and an annual pass is $70. Pass holders receive unlimited 60 minute trips. During ozone alert season, 30 minute rides are free on the third Friday of the month. Upcoming dates are August 19 and September 16.

    EMBARK’s bike share program is serviced by Bicycle Transit Systems, with bikes and stations provided by BCycle, a unit of Trek Bicycles of Wisconsin. These companies have successfully launched and/or operate more than 40 bike share systems in metropolitan areas in the United States and abroad. Spokies monthly or annual pass holders have the benefit of using the bike share program when they travel to those metro areas, with only usage fees for longer rides.

    To find a Spokies bike or learn more about the program, www.SpokiesOKC.com


    About Spokies
    There are eight Spokies stations throughout downtown and within a five minute ride from one another.
    Spokies is an EMBARK transit service. EMBARK is the business unit of the Central Oklahoma Transportation & Parking Authority (COTPA) – a public trust administered by the City of Oklahoma City. EMBARK is responsible for providing safe, efficient and convenient public transportation and downtown parking solutions to the greater Oklahoma City area.

    COTPA is celebrating 50 years of leadership in providing public transit and downtown parking services to Oklahoma’s capital city.

  6. #456

    Default Re: Spokies

    Doesn't pertain to OKC, but it was interesting to read that Seattle is killing their bike share program in favor of putting the money toward other bike and pedestrian safety improvements.

    http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-...ampaign=buffer

  7. #457

    Default Re: Spokies

    I don't think that's true. A friend of mine who is a transit planner there said they were just reevaluating the program and may chose a new operator soon. Topography makes bikeshare a challenge in Seattle.

    They've always invested in bike lanes, they just haven't really connected them all yet.

  8. #458

    Default Re: Spokies

    If you haven't ridden Spokies since the new bikes came out you gotta try again. The new bike are SOOOOOOO much better than the old ones.

    Now we just need some more stations.

  9. Default Re: Spokies

    Spartan, it's dead in Seattle. ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

  10. Default Re: Spokies

    Yeah, the new bikes are really nice. I never rode the old ones, but I've tried out the new ones a couple of times now and even for a fat kid like me, they're comfortable and easy to ride. I'd love to see Spokies expand their network though... A station or two in the OU Medical Center campus would do well, as would one near 21c or in Film Row, and also one somewhere around the capitol building.

  11. Default Re: Spokies

    Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Yeah, the new bikes are really nice. I never rode the old ones, but I've tried out the new ones a couple of times now and even for a fat kid like me, they're comfortable and easy to ride. I'd love to see Spokies expand their network though... A station or two in the OU Medical Center campus would do well, as would one near 21c or in Film Row, and also one somewhere around the capitol building.
    I'd love to see stations in plaza, 23rd, paseo, western ave, an in the future, Farmers Market. One of the guys who manages the system said they would definitely expand if they ever got more funding. So if you have a bunch of money and love bike share, pony up and lets ride into the sunset.

  12. #462

    Default Re: Spokies

    Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    I'd love to see stations in plaza, 23rd, paseo, western ave, an in the future, Farmers Market. One of the guys who manages the system said they would definitely expand if they ever got more funding. So if you have a bunch of money and love bike share, pony up and lets ride into the sunset.
    Even more important than expanding the geographical range of Spokies is infilling the current expanse. I once heard that most cities with successful bike share systems have 5x the number of stations in a similar square mileage that OKC has with Spokies. For people to really start using Spokies as transit they need to be able to get door-to-door service, or closer to it. At least that is the experience of most other cities. For me, walking 2 or 3 blocks to a station on both sides of my trip negates the usefulness of the Spokies as a mode of transportation.

    So my big idea for infill/expansion: A new Deep Deuce station near the Maywood apartments. One on the 13th St. side of the Edge Apartments in Midtown. One in front of the Lift apartments in Midtown. One in front of the Steelyard/Criterion. One at Sheridan and Oklahoma Ave. One at the Skirvin.

    So that's 6 new stations more or less within the within the boundaries of the existing network of 8. Only then should we talk about expanding: first towards 21C and Film row, then up to 23rd and Walker, Perle Mesta Park at 19th and Shartel. 16th and Classen, and the Plaza.

    A guy can dream, right?

  13. Default Re: Spokies

    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    Even more important than expanding the geographical range of Spokies is infilling the current expanse. I once heard that most cities with successful bike share systems have 5x the number of stations in a similar square mileage that OKC has with Spokies. For people to really start using Spokies as transit they need to be able to get door-to-door service, or closer to it. At least that is the experience of most other cities. For me, walking 2 or 3 blocks to a station on both sides of my trip negates the usefulness of the Spokies as a mode of transportation.

    So my big idea for infill/expansion: A new Deep Deuce station near the Maywood apartments. One on the 13th St. side of the Edge Apartments in Midtown. One in front of the Lift apartments in Midtown. One in front of the Steelyard/Criterion. One at Sheridan and Oklahoma Ave. One at the Skirvin.

    So that's 6 new stations more or less within the within the boundaries of the existing network of 8. Only then should we talk about expanding: first towards 21C and Film row, then up to 23rd and Walker, Perle Mesta Park at 19th and Shartel. 16th and Classen, and the Plaza.

    A guy can dream, right?
    I agree it'd be great to have more stations within the core as well, however without ridership to and from neighborhoods where people would actually live who is going to use Spokies as a viable means of transportation? Rn, not too many people both live and work dt to support more bikes.

  14. #464

    Default Re: Spokies

    Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    Spartan, it's dead in Seattle. ...
    Probably swapping it out with an electric fleet, right? They seemed to form a consensus that they need pedal assist to get casual bicyclists pedaling up and down the hills.

    http://mynorthwest.com/470637/seattl...ted-to-change/

  15. #465

    Default Re: Spokies

    It would be nice to see OKC get to about 30-40 stations.

    https://ggwash.org/view/62137/all-11...ampaign=buffer

  16. #466

    Default Re: Spokies

    I love the Spokies program and I hope it continues to infill and grow. I would use the program but I ride my own bike to and from work when weather permits. Does the city expect visitors or residents to be the majority of Spokies ridership? This is a legitimate question and not an attempt to start argument as to the program's usefulness.

    Also, have the city maps located at the bike stations always been present or is that a new addition? I think it they are very useful for out-of-towners trying to explore and I imaginethey encourage use of the biking system.

  17. #467
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,769
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Spokies

    Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    It would be nice to see OKC get to about 30-40 stations.

    https://ggwash.org/view/62137/all-11...ampaign=buffer
    I'm under the impression that via the 2017 GO bond process, Spokies is trying to get in the neighborhood of a couple dozen stations.

  18. Default Re: Spokies

    Station/dock-less bike share programs are now the thing, shame they didn't come along before all the infrastructure for stations/docks was invested in.

    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...fpost-partners

  19. #469

    Default Re: Spokies

    Lime Bikes and V bikes are ALL OVER downtown Dallas and the surrounding neighborhoods...I've actually seen a couple pop up in downtown Arlington and near UTA as well.

  20. #470

    Default Re: Spokies

    We have dockless bikes in Denton and I see them everywhere.

  21. #471

    Default Re: Spokies

    I noticed dockless Spokies this weekend downtown. I did not ride one but I noticed they say $1.25 to start and a per mile price after that similar to the Lime Scooter rental model. I have yet to ride a s. The new bikes are a different model than the ones in the docking stations. I noticed them while out on my evening jog the last two days and ran by quite a few of them in Bricktown and by the Cox Convention Center.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 102
    Last Post: 11-29-2010, 04:55 PM
  2. Biking commentary: Share the road
    By urbanity in forum Transportation
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-03-2010, 10:50 AM
  3. Wednesday night bike rides in downtown OKC
    By metro in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-19-2007, 01:42 PM
  4. OBU to Offer Graduate Nursing Program at New Downtown OKC Campus
    By jbrown84 in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-10-2007, 09:27 PM
  5. Good places near downtown to ride a bike?
    By Midtowner in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-01-2004, 05:19 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO