Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Spokies

Default Re: Downtown Bike Share Program

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    It would make sense that they're putting bikes there for the Arts Festival which begins tomorrow.
    My wife and I are planning on Friday on parking in Automobile Alley, checking out bikes, riding them to the Arts Festival and checking them back out to head back. If there are none available, we will have a nice walk back. Or, we could walk to the CCC rack or ballpark and ride back. It's a great option for this time of year.

They need more in west downtown. I'd love to see one near Classen Glen/7th Street SOSA aka architects alley and at St. Anthony's to connect west downtowners to Midtown and DT. West downtown always gets neglected, but I think some basic infrastructure would help speed up development and fill in the gaps DT.

Blog Entries

18th and Classen please!

(I know, not downtown, but it would well serve the people of downtown)

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    i'd like to see the program extended out to uco eventually with stops along the way in the plaza district and on 23rd. Lots more money need to do that though i think.
    ocu*

Blog Entries

I'd like to see the program extended out to UCO eventually with stops along the way in the Plaza District and on 23rd. Lots more money need to do that though I think.
    Likewise!

Other good candidates... even though you can currently rent bikes from riversport, that's not an extended-hours solution, so there's no reason there shouldn't be one at the boathouse district soonish (e.g. once the river-to-canal extension is done), with one eventually at the skate park (or some other suitable south-river trail location, maybe near Dell?), and much later capitol hill. No reason there's shouldn't be one on the West end of Film Row near-term, with one eventually at the Farmers Market.

Blog Entries

I'd like to see the program extended out to UCO eventually with stops along the way in the Plaza District and on 23rd. Lots more money need to do that though I think.
    Likewise!

Other good candidates... even though you can currently rent bikes from riversport, that's not an extended-hours solution, so there's no reason there shouldn't be one at the boathouse district soonish (e.g. once the river-to-canal extension is done), with one eventually at the skate park (or some other suitable south-river trail location, maybe near Dell?), and much later capitol hill. No reason why there shouldn't be one on the West end of Film Row near-term, with one eventually at the Farmers Market and Stockyards.

If you're a fan or a supporter of the Spokeies in OKC, please let your elected officials know that we need more bikes and racks. I'm really glad to see so many people using them but we are running low at some racks and today LEVEL rack was empty again. Pilot is almost over and lets invest properly.
    Are city council members the best elected officials to let know?

EXCLUSIVE: New York City bike-share program bans fat riders - NYPOST.com

Every vehicle has a maximum gross weight including, apparently, bicycles in NYC's bike share program. They just announced that riders cannot exceed 260 pounds, to the howls of people weighing 260+.

NYC Department of Transportation Policy Director Jon Orcutt said that the city won't strictly enforce the limit, and said that "the provision was inked for legal reasons at the manufacturer's recommendation."

I'd join if it weren't for the stupid monthly fee, plus pay for anything over 30 minutes. Of course I'm going to use it more than 30+ minutes if I'm riding it to a restaurant, etc. IMO they should have monthly fees based on usage, or just do a flat fee altogether like a per use fee. Doing both is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I'd join if it weren't for the stupid monthly fee, plus pay for anything over 30 minutes. Of course I'm going to use it more than 30+ minutes if I'm riding it to a restaurant, etc. IMO they should have monthly fees based on usage, or just do a flat fee altogether like a per use fee. Doing both is silly.
    ride to a restaurant .. park the bike in another stall ... how does that take more than 30 min?

What if I want to ride it elsewhere DT where there isn't a rack? Why should I have to pay a monthly fee just for the "privilege" of using the service, and then have to pay every time I want to get a bike? I don't think that's unreasonable. Just because I disagree doesn't make it childish. I'm stating as a fact, if they had a better fee structure, I'd be a member, period. I know several other downtowners who feel the same way as well. Also, what if I just want an enjoyable ride in the urban core for more than 30 minutes, but don't want the hassle of buying my own bike, lugging it up and down stairs and locking it up everyday? I think either a flat subscription or a per use fee would make more sense. I don't pay for a Taxi membership each month, just for the privilege of using a taxi.

So how does the pricing work exactly for annual members.

You you can grab a spokie and ride it anywhere as long as you put it in another rack within 30 minutes? Then you get charged 2 dollars each 30 min until 48 hours are up and they charge you $500? That's what it sounds like on the website.

I see what metro is saying, like if you want to go from say, LEVEL and eat down @ McDonalds. You have to park the bike at the ballpark corner and then walk the rest of the way?

Also why on earth would they limit the times in which you can check one out? I thought for sure they were 24 hour until I read the site. Perhaps this is to keep intoxicated people from checking them out and dissapearing.

Okay, yea I think the system is great. They definitely hit all the hotspots for the initial stations, but more are needed.

It is obvious that they are more geared toward residents near the stations and not someone who wants to just check it out for a day. The annual membership seems like the only thing that makes sense. Unless you want to do the whole 'park far away, then ride a spokie to the rack closest to destination' to avoid a possible parking fee higher than $5 for the spokie.

Without a doubt I will get an annual membership when I live downtown.

Sid, do you ever feel rushed to make it before 30 minutes? It seems like it would sort of deter detours and side stops. Such as shopping or enjoying a rather lengthy ride (ballpark to Midtown looks longest).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    What if I want to ride it elsewhere DT where there isn't a rack? Why should I have to pay a monthly fee just for the "privilege" of using the service, and then have to pay every time I want to get a bike? I don't think that's unreasonable. Just because I disagree doesn't make it childish. I'm stating as a fact, if they had a better fee structure, I'd be a member, period. I know several other downtowners who feel the same way as well. Also, what if I just want an enjoyable ride in the urban core for more than 30 minutes, but don't want the hassle of buying my own bike, lugging it up and down stairs and locking it up everyday? I think either a flat subscription or a per use fee would make more sense. I don't pay for a Taxi membership each month, just for the privilege of using a taxi.
    Or go buy your own bike. If you were given a refrigerator for free would you start moaning that someone didn't give you food to fill it up too?

15. Default Re: Downtown Bike Share Program

Sid is that permanent or was it just for Better Block?

I find myself curious about the typical outlay for a basic permanent location (space, racks, bikes, data/payment kiosk.)

If businesses think their proximity to a Spokies kiosk is affecting their customer base they have 3 options. 1) Help fund the installation of one near by, 2) relocate closer to an existing kiosk, 3) Pay the $2 fee for the customer. Blaming the provider of a low-cost transportation system isn't the answer. The answer lies with the individual and the business owner.

18. Default Re: Downtown Bike Share Program

I would like a membership option for small downtown employers. A business could pay a membership fee and provide employees with membership cards tied to the business account. Maybe this could work within the existing pricing system. Our office would happily utilize such a system.

My only beef is with the required payment method. I don't carry a credit card, and I don't want to. I use a visa-branded debit card. Other than the occasional hassle when trying to rent a car, it works fine for my purposes. A group of us were going to take Spokies from Midtown to the Festival of the Arts last month. About half of us only carry debit cards so that didn't go so well. I'm sure there is a legitimate reason for this (they don't want folks with bad credit scores riding their bikes, lol), but they need to find a way around it.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    My only beef is with the required payment method. I'm sure there is a legitimate reason for this (they don't want folks with bad credit scores riding their bikes, lol), but they need to find a way around it.
    Your credit card will probably be charged if you don't return the bike.

That's it. If you don't bring the bike back you get charged the replacement cost of the bike (which I thought was around $600). Maybe in the future they could issue some kind of pre-paid debt card just for Spokies that is backed by a credit card they keep on file.

If Spokies believed they were losing too many potential users then they'd change the policy, but that probably isn't the case. If it might be, quantifying it would be very difficult.

Easier solution: Get a credit card. They make life much easier all around.

22. Default Re: Downtown Bike Share Program

I am very familiar with the Spokies FAQs
    Easier solution: Get a credit card. They make life much easier all around.
    Good idea. Never thought about doing that.

Probably to avoid those gift card debit cards. With like 10,20,30, 50, 100 etc amounts. No name attached to the card and probably not $500.

24. Default Re: Downtown Bike Share Program

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    ... About half of us only carry debit cards so that didn't go so well. I'm sure there is a legitimate reason for this (they don't want folks with bad credit scores riding their bikes, lol), but they need to find a way around it.
    I gave Spokies a try in the past and used my debit card just fine.

I've used my debit card plenty of times with Spokies and have never had an issue.

I think it places the amount in ledger so if you do not have at least $600 in your account it will not approve, but it returns the authorization when the bike comes back.

If your card is issued by a bank and backed by Visa or some other credit company you should have no issues.

Thread Information