Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Spokies

Default Re: Downtown Bike Share Program

Sorry Brian - I didn't notice that. Disregard my previous transmission.

I went on the Spokies History tour on Tuesday and had a blast. It did not hurt that Bob Blackburn was the guide. We started at the Ballpark and went to the Land Run monument, to Deep Deuce, to 8th and Broadway, to City Hall, to the North side of the Myriad Gardens and back to the Ballpark. It was about 1.5 hours long. They said there was about 65 people on the tour. I am 5'2" and did not have much problems riding the Spokies bike. It is just an old fashioned foot pedal brake no gear bike which I like actually since I am not a very good bike rider. They are having an art tour next Tuesday and an architecture tour the Tuesday after that. The Spokies bikes are all reserved but anyone is welcome to go on the tour on their own bike. Downtown OKC Bike Tours

Great ride report CC. Sorry I missed it.

This is the location for the new Spokies rack, on the SE corner of 9th and Broadway.

Really glad they found such a visible and well-located spot.

And here are some photos from Sid showing them already installing the rack:

Perfect! Excellent location!

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Perfect! Excellent location!
    I don't know. It's dangerously close to The Womb. Might cause a lot of accidents as cyclists lose their balance trying to figure out what the heck the symbolism means as they go by.

8. Default Re: Downtown Bike Share Program

Quote Originally Posted by Praedura View Post
    I don't know. It's dangerously close to The Womb. Might cause a lot of accidents as cyclists lose their balance trying to figure out what the heck the symbolism means as they go by.
    I'd be more concerned Coyne and his crew will weld genitalia shaped objects to the handle bars and seat in the middle of the night or provide them with a new paint job.

maybe someday, the program can be even less expensive

Cardboard bicycle can change the world, says Israeli inventor - Yahoo! News

saw this on my usual checking things on the web during lunch time and thought i would share

T-Bike - Bike Sharing System by Jung Tak » Yanko Design

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    saw this on my usual checking things on the web during lunch time and thought i would share

T-Bike - Bike Sharing System by Jung Tak » Yanko Design

Very cool!

Spokies rack at Reno & Robinson.

What, they only supplied one bike?
    Or, I guess the rest were all checked out.

Is there enough flex space at the stations to move that many bikes around and still be able to check-in check-out to avoid extra charges?

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    We did a Spokies Poker Pub Crawl yesterday. So if you took this yesterday, that is probably why this rack was so empty. About 30 people were riding bar to bar on a lot of the bikes.
    That's got BUI written all over it...

Can't believe no one has posted the FREE Spokies Membership for April. They have free memberships all month, plus the event below.

On April 16, Downtown OKC, Inc. and the City of Oklahoma City's Office of Sustainability will team up to host a free downtown bike tour. The tour will be led by expert guides who will speak about green efforts around the downtown area, including streetscape improvements, recycling, water quality, native landscapes and more!

The tour will start at the Spokies bike share station located near the Cox Convention Center on the NE corner of Robinson and Reno. It will begin promptly at 6 p.m., so please arrive no later than 5:45. The tour will last approximately one hour and cover 2.5 miles.

Bicycles for the tour will be provided free of charge courtesy of the Spokies bike share program. Reservations requesting Spokies bikes will be limited to 30 people, but you're welcome to bring your own bike. Get the scoop at downtownokc.com.

16. Default Re: Downtown Bike Share Program

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Can't believe no one has posted the FREE Spokies Membership for April. They have free memberships all month, ...
    What I can't believe is that they are apparently not too eager to promote this fact on their own website. Couldn't find it on the homepage and only found it on the pricing page when I scrolled to the bottom. #MarketingFail

LOL, yep DOKC's marketing efforts are horrible

OK, maybe horrible was an overstatement, but embarrassing perhaps. I get their newsletter, but other than that, they aren't super visible. Especially compared to years past.

I cite BBates post #279 above for one reference. Just general observation seems they aren't as visible as they were when Kim Searls, Brett Hamm or David Lopez were there. I have nothing against Jane Jenkins, but it seems the main initiative in the recent has been renewing the DT BID, which is stil a great benefit to DOKC.

20. Default Re: Downtown Bike Share Program

But metro, I think you yourself posted the link to the Starlight Supper, which is their event, and an exciting new addition to downtown. They created the holiday shops on the lawn of MBG during Downtown in December (which is now larger and better-funded than ever before), they coordinated Spokies, their employee appreciation week has been a big hit, and I think they do a great job with social media. I thought the UP campaign was clever and well done. They also have a pretty exciting program underway with their Downtown Implementation Group (DIG), which I think will get more coverage soon. With all do respect to all of the people you mentioned above, two of whom I count as personal friends and one of whom I liked very much, I was just commenting to someone the other day that I thought DOKC was perhaps more relevant now as an organization than it has been throughout its existence. And I say this as a former (albeit short-tenured) employee of DOKC. Might just be my own perception, but I agree with your later comment that at the very least "horrible" was a misstatement.

My employer (PR personell) forwards their newsletters and event details to all the employees in the building - so anyone that isn't subscribed with their personal email, is still aware of what is going on downtown.

These types of advertising avenues along with social media is very effective from personal experience as an employee downtown.

We often even get tickets to raffle off to employees to attend the various events.

Blog Entries

Do these bikes have any tracking devices so we can see the patterns of use and get smarter about quantities, locations, routes, etc?

I noticed yesterday that they have a bike rack on the north side of the Stage Center site. Is that new?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I noticed yesterday that they have a bike rack on the north side of the Stage Center site. Is that new?
    It would make sense that they're putting bikes there for the Arts Festival which begins tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    It would make sense that they're putting bikes there for the Arts Festival which begins tomorrow.
    Nice, opening day will be cold and windy.

Thread Information