Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hobby Lobby HQ & Distribution Center

Far West Hobby Lobby HQ & Distribution Center

Hobby Lobby has submitted plans for yet another huge warehouse, and at 1,906,000 square feet and a cost of $88 million, this will be their largest yet.

Labeled as the "Moore Tract" below, it would bring their total warehouse and office space to over 8,000,000 square feet in far west Oklahoma City. For perspective, the old GM plant is roughly half that size.

They are also very close to finishing their new corporate headquarters.

Hobby Lobby is now the largest private sector employer in Oklahoma City with over 4,000 employees. Their campus growth reflects their aggressive national expansion plans, with plans to add 70 new stores in 2014 alone, in addition to an existing 550 locations.

David Green -- billionaire CEO -- has stated that all distribution would be handled from Oklahoma City. With the latest construction plans the company will almost be out of expansion room. However, the State owns 246 undeveloped acres directly to the east.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hl11.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	8995   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hl12.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	180.1 KB 
ID:	8996   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hl10.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	8994   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hobbylobbysite3.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	219.3 KB 
ID:	8999   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hobbylobbysite1.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	276.1 KB 
ID:	8998   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hl13.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	191.2 KB 
ID:	8997  

Default Re: Hobby Lobby HQ & Distribution Center

That's some serious red dirt.

For scale, look at the the hundreds of semi trucks in the first photo.

This complex now is about the same size as the old GM plant.

Funny how something this massive can exist with so little notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    For scale, look at the the hundreds of semi trucks in the first photo.

This complex now is about the same size as the old GM plant.
    Well, hopefully the $40 mil in new investment represents a renewed commitment, especially as the Green family remains enamored with North Texas.

All of this has been built since 2001, so it seems they are pretty committed to OKC.

Wow didn't realize that the arts and crafts business was going so strong. Good for them!

Spartan, why would you say that they are "enamored" with North Texas? I know Mr. Green was looking for a site down there for a bible museum but I think its since fizzled. Hobby Lobby gives a ton of money to local charities (albeit most of them have a religious bent). They aren't nearly as out there as Devon or CHK but thats their style. David Green pretty much bailed out ORU singlehandely.

Plus, have you seen David Green's house? He's not going anywhere if he has to leave that beast behind.

7. Default Re: Hobby Lobby HQ & Distribution Center

What was surprising is how Walmart doesn't really do well in this department against Hobby Lobby. lol

All of this has been built since 2001, so it seems they are pretty committed to OKC.
    I have dealings on a daily basis with Hobby Lobby and the Green Family (all wonderful people). The headquarters location and related facilities are going nowhere but here.

wow.

10. Default Re: Hobby Lobby HQ & Distribution Center

They have become huge. About 4 years ago they replaced the building & grounds maintenance manager. I made the final 2 but came in second. I'm not sure at this point that if I would have wanted that much stress. I'm happy where I'm at.

11. Default Re: Hobby Lobby HQ & Distribution Center

You don't notice it because it's off the beaten path. Who drives out at 44th and Council? Not many people at all, which was probably part of the lure for that site....off the path = cheaper land...and boy do they need it. Hobby Lobby has much improved their offerings in the stores over the last 10 years for sure...they have managed to push from a local sort of novelty into a HUGE player nationally over really a rather short time (as far as corporation life goes....and i mean even before 2000). I've never met a Hobby Lobby employee that wasn't nice, which says something about their corporation. If you can make retail employees all happy, man you've done something right. I've known a couple HQ employees as well, and they seem to really like it out there too, so that's great!

It's truly one of the most under rated Oklahoma company success stories.

MadMonk Guest

Speaking of their museum of the Bible, if you haven't checked out the "Passages" exhibit at the OKC Museum of Art, I'd recommend it. It's pretty interesting.
    http://www.explorepassages.com/

That's more than 3.6 MILLION square feet of space!! Or, well more than double the square footage in the entire Devon Energy Center
    I believe the Devon site is 1.1 million sq ft. So that'd make ir more than 3x the size.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Well, hopefully the $40 mil in new investment represents a renewed commitment, especially as the Green family remains enamored with North Texas.
    Calling the pot black from someone who questions whether or not they want to live in OKC. You clearly don't know the Green family. I know them personally and they are committed to OKC and the faith based community.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I have dealings on a daily basis with Hobby Lobby and the Green Family (all wonderful people). The headquarters location and related facilities are going nowhere but here.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    You don't notice it because it's off the beaten path. Who drives out at 44th and Council? Not many people at all, which was probably part of the lure for that site....off the path = cheaper land...and boy do they need it. Hobby Lobby has much improved their offerings in the stores over the last 10 years for sure...they have managed to push from a local sort of novelty into a HUGE player nationally over really a rather short time (as far as corporation life goes....and i mean even before 2000). I've never met a Hobby Lobby employee that wasn't nice, which says something about their corporation. If you can make retail employees all happy, man you've done something right. I've known a couple HQ employees as well, and they seem to really like it out there too, so that's great!

It's truly one of the most under rated Oklahoma company success stories.

I believe the Devon site is 1.1 million sq ft. So that'd make ir more than 3x the size.
    I meant to compare to the entire Devon complex, which will be about 1.8 million square feet.

Ok, thanks for clarifying, I thought the entire complex was 1.1 to 1.3

No one notices Hobby Lobby much becuase they have no corporate presence in OKC. When was the last time you saw them as a corporate sponser of a civic event? I cant think of one.

They are right down the street from my house and HUGE. I love Hobby Lobby and it has only gotten better over the years. A lot of artists - not just crafters - rely on HL for their supplies, in large part. I wish HL's like these had been around when I was raising my kids. If you need it, chances are they have it.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    No one notices Hobby Lobby much becuase they have no corporate presence in OKC. When was the last time you saw them as a corporate sponser of a civic event? I cant think of one.
    As stated several times, as a faith based organization they primarily give towards the faith based community and missions across the globe. They also sponsor some local events. Unlike other companies, they don't desire the need for donation based image.

There was an article today in the Oklahoman that they donated a large ranch in California to Rick Warren's (Purpose-Driven Life author) church.

There was an article today in the Oklahoman that they donated a large ranch in California to Rick Warren's (Purpose-Driven Life author) church.
    heres the link...
    http://newsok.com/hobby-lobby-donate..._headline_life

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Not an event, but Hobby Lobby has made significant contributions to the City Rescue mission

Even before this latest building, Hobby Lobby employed more than 2,500 in OKC.

That's on par with both Devon & CHK and they seem to be growing at the same rapid pace.

I can see it now......The new Hobby Lobby Tower,it will be Orange and White and shaped like Semi-truck!

Or, we could just get them to tilt those buildings on end and use elevators to get trucks up to the loading bays.

Each of the six buildings would be about 2,000 feet tall!

25. Default Re: Hobby Lobby HQ & Distribution Center

Well most of the place is a distribution center, not an office complex...so comparing square footage is like apples and oranges.

But on the sponsorship front, you should also realize that most companies here do not sponsor. You see some big name ones do so, but for ever large company like that, you've got a dozen smaller ones that probably no one has hear of. Just because someone doesn't buy naming rights for an arena or build a monster tower, doesn't mean they don't have a presense in town. Some companies prefer to stay under the radar on their donations. My company used to contribute heavily to Big Brother Big Sisters and our previous owner actually opened a facility for troubled teens. If you didn't work here, you wouldn't have had any idea who we were/are...but it doesn't mean an impact wasn't being made somewhere.

Thread Information