Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any Coffee Snobs Aboard?

Default Re: Any Coffee Snobs Aboard?

One word: illy. Look it up. Only one location in all of Oklahoma serves it, Aravalli in the Devon Tower. You can buy their beans at Whole Foods though and sometimes Sprouts.

I love illy. Since the start of this thread, OKC's coffee scene has really come a long way. We have at least three outstanding coffee houses- Coffee Slingers, Elemental, and Evoke. Coffee Slingers and Elemental roast their own coffee.

During a west coast surf trip, I tried the best that Cali has to offer. Even Blue Bottle and Four Barrel can't beat Coffee Slinger's macchiatos.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    I tried the Nitrane coffee from Coffee Slingers this past weekend. Nitorgen-infused cold brew coffee that pours like a stout. It's not something that I will get all the time, but it's definitely worth trying if you haven't already.
    I tired it several weeks ago. i WANTED to like it. I really did. But every time I took a sip my wife noticed my eyes would squint and my face would contort.

Has anyone else tried Hoboken, in Guthrie? I think it's pretty legit, just way up north.

Posting in this thread for continued discussion. For coffee service at Nani we've used Hoboken, Elemental, Coffee Slingers, Mariposa, and Topeca. All wonderful in their own ways, though we've started leaning more toward Coffee Slingers in later months.

Also, I get the nitrane every time I'm up at Slingers. A macchiato [for here] and a nitrane [to go] sets me up for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by borchard View Post
    I tired it several weeks ago. i WANTED to like it. I really did. But every time I took a sip my wife noticed my eyes would squint and my face would contort.
    Let it cool off a little dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    Let it cool off a little dude.
    haha! It was already cold when it came out of the beer spout they pour it through

9. Default Re: Any Coffee Snobs Aboard?

I really like allegero. I started drinking it when it was a local company in Denver 20 odd years ago. You can get it at Whole Foods. Try an espresso or latte at the coffee bar in there. The Coasta Rician is what I usually get.

I had been having the Indonesian Sulawesi at Elemental for the last week. It is amazing. So I went to Coffee Dan/West End Roastery and bought some green Sumatran beans. I took them home and roasted them in my popcorn popper. I just made a french press out of them. Awesome. Earthy. Fruity. Smooth. Apparently Indonesian/Sumatran coffee is my jam :-)

I had been having the Indonesian Sulawesi at Elemental for the last week. It is amazing. So I went to Coffee Dan/West End Roastery and bought some green Sumatran beans. I took them home and roasted them in my popcorn popper. I just made a french press out of them. Awesome. Earthy. Fruity. Smooth. Apparently Indonesian/Sumatran coffee is my jam :-)
    Sounds like something I would like also. I have a "my Café" by Bunn which allows you to use pods, k-cups, or ground coffee. It also has a pulse feature to give stronger coffee. My favorite is Samatra Mandheling. Lately, I have been buying El Dorado Coffee pods and have been happy with them. If I use the grounds....it is almost always Community Coffee with chicory

I've been any interested in trying to roast beans at home...any good resources for learning how and getting beans?

How To Roast Green Coffee At Home

This one looks good. I use both the "Whirly Pop" stove-top popper with the articulating arm, and an air popper.
    The air popper is very easy. You just can't roast very much at one time, or it will burn out the motor.
    With the Whirly Pop you can roast more beans at one time. You just have to keep turning the little crank so that the beans get evenly roasted.
    A word of advice? Don't do EITHER inside your house. When you roast coffee the husks come off the beans, and with the air popper they will blow all over your floor.
    And with both the smoke and smell of burnt coffee will be all over your house AND YOU! lol

As far as getting beans there is only one place in Oklahoma City that I have found that will sell green beans. West Wend Roastery/Coffee Dan's on West Main has lots of different varieties, and his prices are pretty reasonable. I've heard that there are numerous places online that you can order from. I'm just glad West End is fairly close to my house.

When I have time, I'll grind up some beans I get from Cafe Topeca and brew in my French Press. Topeca is out of Tulsa. They have some incredible roasts there. I purchase all via their website and they ship it to me, however I have stopped in their shop when I was up the turnpike. Neat little place. I think it's better than Elemental and Coffee Slingers. But we all have our tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    When I have time, I'll grind up some beans I get from Cafe Topeca and brew in my French Press. Topeca is out of Tulsa. They have some incredible roasts there. I purchase all via their website and they ship it to me, however I have stopped in their shop when I was up the turnpike. Neat little place. I think it's better than Elemental and Coffee Slingers. But we all have our tastes.
    I like Topeca, too. You can also buy their beans at Whole Foods. They are very unique in that they own the farm in El Salvador where their coffee comes from. This is from their website:

“Seed-to-Cup” takes Direct Trade one step further, we don’t just purchase coffee directly from our farms, we own our farms. Our Family has been growing coffee since 1850 on the Ayutepeque farm, and 6 generations later we are continuing the tradition while continually looking forward towards innovation.

On Wednesday I had a "Melody special" at Coffee Slingers. It was espresso with coconut milk over ice. Absolutely awesome cold drink for the summer. Apparently it is only available during Shop Hop each month. Actually at Evoke typing this. lola

Has anyone else tried Hoboken, in Guthrie? I think it's pretty legit, just way up north.
    Hoboken is outstanding. They have their own roaster. Just a little out of the way for you City folks though.

Luckily I go to church with a lot of hipsters and we get Hoboken coffee every Sunday :-)

What are your favorite machines for;
    1. Espresso - I have a Braun home espresso machine, but my Nespresso OriginaLine makes the best espresso I've had
    2. Brewed coffee I also have a Nespresso VirtuoLine for a full cup. BUt I also have a small percolator that I bought at a Thrift Store that makes outstanding coffee. Lately I've been using my French Press, as well
    3. Pods Once again, Nespresso is the best pod machine that I've ever had.

20. Default Re: Any Coffee Snobs Aboard?

I have a Nespresso at home and a Kureig in the office, and it is not even close. As good as Kureig is, Nespresso makes K-cups taste like instant. If Nespresso pods weren't so pricey I would put one in the office, but too many people come in here and help themselves to coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I have a Nespresso at home and a Kureig in the office, and it is not even close. As good as Kureig is, Nespresso makes K-cups taste like instant. If Nespresso pods weren't so pricey I would put one in the office, but too many people come in here and help themselves to coffee.
    I hit the jackpot recently. A friend said that one of his coworkers had a Nespresso, but it broke, and he completely ruined it trying to fix it himself. He said the guy would probably give me his unused pods. Sure enough, he said to come by his office and I could have them. I showed up, and he gave me over 100 Nespresso pods!!!

I'm traveling in DC this week. I've been able to have Illy AND Lavazza coffee so far.

I visited Gray Owl Coffee in Norman, yesterday. I liked it. Great place, but I don't see myself making a trip all the way to Norman JUST to go there. If I'm in Norman anyway, then yes.

Anyone heard anything about the two coffee shops that are SUPPOSED to be opening in downtown? One is going to be in the ground floor of the garage that is just west of Devon and the other one is in the Maywood apartments?

Anyone heard anything about the two coffee shops that are SUPPOSED to be opening in downtown? One is going to be in the ground floor of the garage that is just west of Devon and the other one is in the Maywood apartments?
    here's more info on the one in the garage: Clarity Coffee - OKCTalk

Thread Information