Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Original Midwest City Water Tower Scheduled for Deconstruction

Default Original Midwest City Water Tower Scheduled for Deconstruction

The original MWC water tower is scheduled to be dismantled in August or September. The antennas have to be removed and relocated to a temporary mobile cell tower before deconstruction can begin.

The following announcement was made on the Midwest City History and Memories facebook page:

The Awards Committee of the Midwest City Police Department are selling T-Shirts to commemorate the Bomber Tower which had been a land mark since 1947. Haveing outlived its usefullness, it is slated to be taken down in August or September. The shirts are $10.00 for Small-XLarge, $11.00 for 2XL-3XL, $12.00 for 4XL-5XL. If you live out of state, please include $2.00 for shipping and handeling. These are pre-pay only. Indicate size and color (grey is the best) .Contact Lt. Matt Dukes @ 405.739.1021 or mdukes@midwestcityok.org, or Sgt. Tommy Lantz at 405.739.1022 or tlantz@midwestcityok.org. Mailing address is Community Action Office, MWCPD, 8726 SE 15th, Midwest City, OK 73110.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

2. Default Re: Original Midwest City Water Tower Scheduled for Deconstruction

Now, I wonder how long it will take to compelte that phase of the Town Center project once the tower is removed.

It's sad to see it go...it's so identifiable and visible from so far away. They definitely let the paint go while they waited for it to come down though.

3. Default Re: Original Midwest City Water Tower Scheduled for Deconstruction

They are stupid to tear it down. What was mentioned in that quote was that the tower became outlived. This is not true. A tower is just a tower. They don't have to use it for anything. Just leave it alone, repaint, and leave it as an iconic/history structure.

Default Re: Original Midwest City Water Tower Scheduled for Deconstruction

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    They are stupid to tear it down. What was mentioned in that quote was that the tower became outlived. This is not true. A tower is just a tower. They don't have to use it for anything. Just leave it alone, repaint, and leave it as an iconic/history structure.
    Are you a preservationist for everything?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Do you know how much it costs to paint a water tower? It's not cheap... and to keep it painted when you aren't going to use it would be a waste of civic funds.

And as long as the water pressure in the city is good enough, they don't need this old tower.

Woodyrr - thanks for posting about shirts! I'm out of town this week and never would have noticed!

7. Default Re: Original Midwest City Water Tower Scheduled for Deconstruction

Where is it going? I'd like to see it set somewhere.. not reconstructed, but maybe at least the top portion of the tower... there is some space over at the Atkinson property on 10th and Midwest Blvd.

8. Default Re: Original Midwest City Water Tower Scheduled for Deconstruction

I thought someone mentioned that a town in CA had purchased it some time ago??? Although I can't imagine it's worth the transportation cost to tear down, move, and re-assemble. I would think it's worth more to sell off as scrap. It's just way to large to preserve somewhere....at which point then you have to continue to maintain it.

I was out photographing the new water tower one morning and got to visiting with a supervisor with the City of Midwest City.

He told me that the rumor that he had heard was that it was bought by a small town in CA and that they were going to reassemble it and use it. He stressed that it was a rumor.

I have posted on the Midwest City History and Memories facebook page asking if some of the Midwest City workers know what is going to happen to it. So far, I have had no answers.

I have friends that live right next to it. (As in, no homes between them and the tower) They're kind of anxious about it's demolition.
    I have to say though, it's completely out of the question to maintain it as an "historical" anything, in this economy.
    They should sell the steel, and have a huge barbeque at Regional with the proceeds.
    Anyone with a MWC water bill eats free!
    PS Maybe for fun, some engineering types could compute the weight and price of steel. Maybe we could hire a name band to play at said BBQ!

Posted by Matt Dukes on the Midwest City History and memories facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/115957895581/

TOWER UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have been given the go ahead with the tower watch party. In the next few weeks I will be contacting the Chamber to see if they will sponser a get together.
    I have been told that the bids to take down the tower will go out shortly. Then they have to come back and bids awarded.
    Then the portable com towers have to be brought in and set up to accomodate the cell equipment on the tower now.
    Once that is set up the cranes have to be brought in and a corradon set up. That is when the destrution will begin. It will be a long process but, I plan to have the tail gate party on the day they start. Depending on how it goes, it may be December before we can have the party. Stay Tuned!!!!!!

GREAT STUFF!!!! (I lived in MWC--off and on--for quite a while . . . quite a while ago. =)

If this hasn't yet been determined . . . How about something along the lines of . . .
    "Quenching The Flaming Lips Blowout!!!!"

(If you can't get "the originals" there is probably a cover band available by this time. Although this event seems as if it is right up their alley, so to speak. =)

I picked up my t-shirts this afternoon. They are pretty nice.

The removal of the tower will be later than originally announced. The job has to go out for bids and then the bids have to be reviewed by the city council and the best bid awarded a contract.

I got my t-shirts today! Really cool - one for each daughter and one for me. Thanks Lt. Dukes and Sgt Lantz!

Posted by Matt Dukes on the Midwest City History and Memories facebook page.

Everyone mark your calenders! October 14 from 5:00 pm til 7:30 pm we will be hosting a party to commemorate that last piece of Old Midwest City before it goes away.
    We will be having a retirment party for the Bomber Tower which is slated to be taken down this year. Homecoming for the Bombers seemed to be fitting for the day.
    It will be held in Charles Johnson Park which is due south of the tower and in the middle of Town Square. We are in the preliminary planning stages so there will be more to come.
    Regardless if you are a Bomber, Titan, or yes an Eagle, if your grew up in the Midwest City area come by, share some stories,reminisce about back in the day and have some fun before the game.
    For those of you that ordered shirts, we have them contact us so we can get them to you. We have made another order for those who still want them.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/115957895581/

From Matt Dukes:

The final planning is in the works and we are going to have a party.
    October 14th from 5:00 pm until 7:30 pm at Charles Johnson Park, SE 29th and Mid America, The City of Midwest City along with other sponsors will be hosting a retirement ceremony for a long term city landmark, the Bomber Water Tower
    More importantly, this is a chance for our community to come together, have some fun and share some memories.
    There will be music, hot dogs, popcorn, drinks, and other fun stuff. Please come and have some fun before the homecoming game of the Bombers. It does not matter if you are a Bomber, Titan or Eagle, if you grew up here, come by.
    The event will be emceed by Stan Miller, former Midwest City resident and Channel 9, KWTV morning anchor.
    By the way, I want to thank all of you who have bought t-shirts. We have sold about 400 and more orders are coming in. If you have made an order and have not gotten a call from us, please contact us at mdukes@midwestcityok.org or tlantz@midwestcityok.org.
    I also want to thank Terri Derrick and Marla Robinson from the Bomber Alumni Association and the Midwest City Chamber of Commerce for their help.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/115957895581/

Hmmm... I might have to bless y'all that show up with my presence on October 14th sometime between 5:00 and 7:30.

I grew up off of W.Ercoupe Dr. right West of the water tower,the old water tower was a good reference point when navigating those winding streets in the Jarman neighborhood!

19. Default Re: Original Midwest City Water Tower Scheduled for Deconstruction

Quote Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
    I grew up off of W.Ercoupe Dr. right West of the water tower,the old water tower was a good reference point when navigating those winding streets in the Jarman neighborhood!
    I've been on that street many times. A school friend lives there with his parents. The next street or two toward the south was stolen by the city, there was another deaf friend that lived there.

I live on W. Rickenbacker and have used the tower for 29 years to tell people how to get to my house. I'll be there with my t-shirt on!

21. Default Re: Original Midwest City Water Tower Scheduled for Deconstruction

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri101 View Post
    I live on W. Rickenbacker and have used the tower for 29 years to tell people how to get to my house. I'll be there with my t-shirt on!
    Yes, you told me once. :-)

What are you gonna use now as a point of reference?

23. Default Re: Original Midwest City Water Tower Scheduled for Deconstruction

Quote Originally Posted by MDot View Post
    What are you gonna use now as a point of reference?
    She's gonna allow a 300' cell tower in her backyard with generous payment agreement with one exception....a spacious birdhouse every 50' apart.

maybe you can answer this?Why were all those houses that run N and S off of Air Depot torn down?

maybe you can answer this?Why were all those houses that run N and S off of Air Depot torn down?
    The city used emminent domain (or the hospital authority did) in order to clear the land for the now existent Town Center. There were a lot of allegations made of "stealing" and it appears that some folks didn't get FMV on their homes. Although the outcome - Town Center - has been beneficial to the community; IMHO it could have been handled better, if all rumors and stories are to be believed.
    As far as a new point of reference - guess I'll use Lowes or Chilis for turning point. Or just stay incognito!
    And Thunder - I'd let them build a cell tower there if I could get free wireless for life!

Thread Information