Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prunepicker Guest

Default GE moving jobs to China

How can this be? Is anyone in Washington, D.C. aware that we need
    jobs in the United States?

From CNN
    Here is more evidence of the suicide mission this country is on:
    General Electric announced it's moving its 115-year-old X-ray
    business from Waukesha, Wisconsin to Beijing, China.

The X-ray business is part of General Electric's GE Healthcare unit,
    and this move is just part of a broader plan by GE to invest $2 billion
    in China.

This will become the first GE business to be headquartered there. A
    handful of the unit's top executives will be transferred to China but
    otherwise, the company says, none of the 150 staffers in the
    Milwaukee-area facility will lose jobs or be transferred. However, GE
    plans to hire more than 65 engineers and a support staff at a new
    facility in China.
    And from the "WHAT THE HECK?" department.
    It's the kind of news that makes you want to reach for something
    sharp and jab it in your eye. General Electric's Chief Executive,
    Jeffrey Immelt, is one of President Obama's advisers on… ready?
    U.S. job creation!

Default Re: GE moving jobs to China

I am proud to see that you posted something from CNN. Anyway, I am as upset by this as you and CNN are. It's sickening... everything about it.

Thumbs up, I'm glad I'm not the only one who is sickened by the non stop exporting of American jobs.

Its worse than that. The Chinese will steal the technology and sell it in its own market. X-ray machine orders to China will drop significantly over the long run.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamTell View Post
    Thumbs up, I'm glad I'm not the only one who is sickened by the non
    stop exporting of American jobs.
    Who isn't? Good grief, the collectivists do everything possible to make
    running a business in the United States next to impossible. GE has
    supposedly been given a free ride but they're still moving to China.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Its worse than that. The Chinese will steal the technology and sell it
    in its own market. X-ray machine orders to China will drop significantly
    over the long run.
    You'd think Congress would have a clue by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    You'd think Congress would have a clue by now.
    I see. So now you think that Congress should get involved in what private businesses do. That's sure a change of heart for you.

Blog Entries

Republicans always stress how serious the need is to cut taxes on rich people so they can provide jobs. But do Republicans ever specify that they must be for new jobs created here at home and not for China or else where? I don't think so. But realistically, I believe most USA jobs are created to meet customer demand, not on rich people waiting for taxes to go down.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I see. So now you think that Congress should get involved in what private businesses do. That's sure a change of heart for you.
    No, Prunepicker meant Congress should have made drastic cuts for rich people, so they will bring about new jobs and so bring the unemployment level down. Well, I wonder how the unemployment rate is like in China? Lower than in the USA?

And they get a tax break for doing this. Nice, huh? How's that no new taxes pledge sounding 'bout now?

11. Default Re: GE moving jobs to China

This will give GE an even bigger tax refund next year (and I use the term refund loosly because the tax department at GE is a profit center). Ironically, even though the GE tax department makes a profit, it isn't a taxable profit - go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    This will give GE an even bigger tax refund next year (and I use the term refund loosly because the tax department at GE is a profit center). Ironically, even though the GE tax department makes a profit, it isn't a taxable profit - go figure.
    Every company's tax department is a profit center. If they didn't raise more than they spent they wouldn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by HewenttoJared View Post
    Every company's tax department is a profit center. If they didn't raise more than they spent they wouldn't exist.
    Tax departments create jobs :. taxes create jobs.

Solid proof

15. Default Re: GE moving jobs to China

I hope this comment was a joke, because that isn't even close to true. Tax departments are required, regardless if they turn a profit or not. Usually they can lower a companies tax bill but the GE tax department actually brings NEW money into the company.

Comapany A pay $1 million in taxes but their new tax department lowers that to $500,000 while only spending $250,000 to do it. Saving $250,000 the company already earned.
    GE pays $3 billion in taxes, but the tax department lowers that to $0, and finds an aditional $3 billion more dollars while spending $500 million to do it. That is a profit of $2.5 billion that GE didn't ALREADY earn.

That is the difference between a profit center and a cost center.

This is just another sign the tax system is whack. It's also an indicator some basic principles of capitalism is short sighted. Wal-Mart exports jobs to China all the time, just by favoring the lowest price product. When the over-riding factor of profit motivation knocks down your consumer base, then you may thrive in the short run but fail in the long run.

18. Default Re: GE moving jobs to China

Maybe we need a better understanding of what capitalism is.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Silliman View Post
    This is just another sign the tax system is whack. It's also an indicator some basic principles of capitalism is short sighted. Wal-Mart exports jobs to China all the time, just by favoring the lowest price product. When the over-riding factor of profit motivation knocks down your consumer base, then you may thrive in the short run but fail in the long run.
    Welcome to The New World/Whirrled-Order-Global-Economy, Stan!
    (Humor has changed just a bit since the days of Lenny Bruce and Mort Sahl. =)

When--"We The American People" (via our Freely Elected Representatives)--rolled over The [Debt Support/Ceiling Remodel] to China, in order to even (and just barely) support the interest payments on what we have already borrowed from China (in order to continue to buy their products) . . .

I'm thinkin' . . .
    So . . . What in The World is a "GE" s'posed t' do?" [Fer Cryin'Out Loud/Crissakes] . . .
    'Specially when factorin' in and balancin' the washing each others' shirts insult deal . . .
    Plus in pursuit of the continuing search for a perpertual motion money machine . . .

When Nikta K.--Back in The Day--found it necessary to pound his Former Soviet Shoe on a podium at the UN in order to emphasize his point about "[Economically] Burying" US he had no clue of what the Chinese Communists were capable of doing. And without a shot fired or nuke launched.

Therefore, does it really come as a surprise that the most highly valued item ever estimated on The Antiques Roadshow (in Tulsa!) was a carved rhinoceros horn drinking cup from Ancient China? A GE Exec--or a Congressman--will probably be the top bidder at that auction. And sell it to a Chinaman.

(BTW: Another good one, Cameron.)
    Last edited by RadicalModerate; 08-01-2011 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Add a question mark.

20. Default Re: GE moving jobs to China

We owe the Federal Reserve far more than we owe China. So who owns the Federal Reserve that we owe all the money to? Answer, the individual banks that make up the Federal Reserve System. They are the same banks we bailed out. Ask yourself what kind of system we must have that bails out an industry using the product of that industry, and we still somehow get stuck with the bill. This is no joke. The US government borrowed money from the Federal Reserve so we could turn around and use that money to bailout the Federal Reserve, and after saving them FROM THEMSELVES mind you, we still have to pay the loan back. That is what happens in a 'money as debt' system. Guess what happens if we actually pay the money back?

I know this has been posted before but it gets better everytime I see it.

Prunepicker Guest

I know this has been posted before but it gets better every time
    I see it.
    I wonder why collectivists can't grasp this? Or should I say won't
    accept it? 2+2=4.

I don't know if this is applicable but Foxconn, the Taiwanese company who builds the Apple products like iPhone and the iPad is replacing most of it's manufacturing work force with robots (expected to have a million after three years) so the term exporting jobs is a little bit of a misnomer. Jobs are going away, yes, but that doesn't mean human beings in other parts of the world are taking them.

This disappoints me. I own an iPhone plus I always viewed Taiwan as the good China. But the more I've read about Foxconn with their slave-type working conditions and the extreme amounts of suicide among their workforce, the more I question my original perceptions. This robotic retooling is actually an attempt to improve their image, cut down on suicides, etc. Put people out of work for the greater good.

Sounds elitist.

24. Default Re: GE moving jobs to China

Sounds elitist.
    Knowing what words mean is elitist? Given the general education of our society today maybe you are correct.

Maybe we need to become better at it. While China restricts access to its markets with sky-high tariffs, we in the U.S. allow them to import just about anything with no duty or a very low one. Manufacturing in China also requires a technology transfer. China understands that winning in capitalism is a long game. In the U.S., on a macro level, our big time players play for short term gains without regard for what the long term implications of their behavior is for the economy.

In the days of Ayn Rand, I'd agree, greed was good. Unfortunately, we've seen the downside of letting the greediest and smartest define the rules of their own game--economic calamity. In today's day and age, the government, especially where the financial sector is concerned, either needs to play a central planning role as the government in China does, or at the very least, it needs to define the rules of the game to suit the long-term needs of the economy.

Thread Information