Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 19 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Downtown Parking

Default Downtown Parking

Found this article by Steve interesting:

http://newsok.com/new-public-parking...dline_business
    New public parking cited as downtown challenge (Oklahoman, Lackmeyer, 7/17/11)
    O'Connor sees two big challenges ahead for downtown: the need for new public parking and an uncertain future with First National Center.

O'Connor notes workers with Continental Resources and Enogex, along with SandRidge's growing workforce, will quickly absorb the space left behind at the Santa Fe Garage by Devon employees when they move to the expanded City Center West garage at Park and Hudson Avenues.
    I know that many here don't think there is a parking problem downtown. I accept that. What do you all think of former Asst. City Manager O'Connor's comments?
    Last edited by Pete; 07-21-2011 at 11:59 AM.

2. Default Re: Downtown parking "Challenges"

That, that garage better be nice, and that COPTA should focus on improving some of their existing monstrosities before they plan to build more.

Just kiddddiiiiiinngggg...

Default Re: Downtown parking "Challenges"

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Found this article by Steve interesting:

http://newsok.com/new-public-parking...dline_business
    New public parking cited as downtown challenge (Oklahoman, Lackmeyer, 7/17/11)

I know that many here don't think there is a parking problem downtown. I accept that. What do you all think of former Asst. City Manager O'Connor's comments?
    That she's just as clueless as others, or that she hates to walk.

My DT or Bricktown parking challenge is limited to deciding do I wanna park easy, or do I wanna make a game of it and blow time trying to get closer than any of the right now open spots that exist. Easy peasy to park in the metro.

5. Default Re: Downtown parking "Challenges"

Guys, parking is not a problem right now, nor is Cathy saying it is. But what she is saying is that with the new companies coming in over the next couple of years, the city will need to be proactive to assure that a problem doesn't pop up and stymie growth.

So I guess a good question to ask is-How far is too far? How many blocks away would you consider acceptable?

What is acceptable for OKC standards? What do you think is acceptable under big city (NYC, Atlanta, Houston, Chicago) standards?

If we are to retain our title as the Parking Lot Capitol of North America we must be proactive. The Stage Center would be a perfect spot for a nice big flat parking lot.

I would like to see them replace the Century Center with about a 20 story parking garage like these:

O'Connor sees two big challenges ahead for downtown: the need for new public parking and an uncertain future with First National Center.
    Considering that renovation downtown will not be viable for multiple generations, it takes much too long to walk anywhere downtown, and the fact that the FNC is ideally located in the exact center of the CBD, the solution is obvious to anyone paying attention to people who currently don't like to visit downtown: level the FNC and use the space to provide free parking. Surface lots are preferred because then you don't have to take stairs or wait for an elevator. We could probably even work a plaza or two in.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Guys, parking is not a problem right now, nor is Cathy saying it is. But what she is saying is that with the new companies coming in over the next couple of years, the city will need to be proactive to assure that a problem doesn't pop up and stymie growth.
    Thats the way I read it too, but it goes along with what I was saying over in the other Enogox(?) thread.

11. Default Re: Downtown parking "Challenges"

BDP - are you kidding me? Everything about that post goes against everything we stand for on this forum.

First off, how can anyone justify dozing FNC? Second, surface??? really? Not only is it the most inefficient way to create parking, but are you really so lazy that you can't use stairs...or an elevator? That flawed view of things is what got Oklahomas the fattest in the country.

bombermwc - I think BDP was being sarcastic. You of all people should love the automated parking garage idea. No looking for a parking space at all, no elevators or stairs to take, and no traffic jams trying to leave.

yay, another thread on downtown parking "challenges"

At least this one is dedicated to it and not a hijack!

That automatic concept is really interesting, but at :60 seconds per car retrieval, I can only imagine 100 or so people lined up right after work waiting for their cars one at a time. I'm not sure we have the patience for that.

Quote Originally Posted by FritterGirl View Post
    ... I'm not sure we have the patience for that.

I'm sure .... we don't.

Just watch folks in any short light left turn lane for clear proof.

17. Default Re: Downtown parking "Challenges"

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I would like to see them replace the Century Center with about a 20 story parking garage like these:

When past is prologue.......right here in downtown Oklahoma City (once upon a time). It did the same thing running the levels on gears.

Quote Originally Posted by FritterGirl View Post
    That automatic concept is really interesting, but at :60 seconds per car retrieval, I can only imagine 100 or so people lined up right after work waiting for their cars one at a time. I'm not sure we have the patience for that.
    I thought about that also but here is the thing. In the one video it took 40 seconds to retrieve the car. As soon as the car is dropped off the machine goes and gets the next one. It take about 15 seconds to get in the car, put on the seatbelt, turn it on, and drive away. In less than 25 seconds another car will be delivered. Plus, most of these garages have mutiple retrival systems so more than one car can be retrieved at a time. I would rather wait in a line of people to get my car than to wait in my car sitting in traffic. Because cars would enter the roadway in a metered fashion it would improve traffic as well. Finally, these systems are used in major cities all over the world, and were used in OKC at one time (my wife said she used to park in one back in the day). Whatever timing issues they have, they seem to have that worked out.

Here is one in Germany.

For those people that are building urban houses in midtown, try this.

19. Default Re: Downtown parking "Challenges"

I love the idea. They've come a long way since the "automated garage" days at the old Huckins Hotel as shown in that postcard. I especially like the picture of the circular garage in Germany. Looking at the pic 'garage' doesn't even seem like the appropriate word.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    I love the idea. They've come a long way since the "automated garage" days at the old Huckins Hotel as shown in that postcard. I especially like the picture of the circular garage in Germany. Looking at the pic 'garage' doesn't even seem like the appropriate word.
    They actually have two towers. Here is what they look like from the outside. These are probably too cool to be used in Oklahoma.

curious. anyone know how construction costs compare? How rates to park compare?

Default Re: Downtown Parking

Wow. those pics remind me a lot of a Hot Wheels storage case I had growing up. LOL

Wow. those pics remind me a lot of a Hot Wheels storage case I had growing up. LOL
    You mean you stored all your Hot Wheels in some kind of container and didn't space them out in a single layer of rows all over your bedroom floor?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    curious. anyone know how construction costs compare? How rates to park compare?
    http://westhollywood.patch.com/artic...king-structure

Construction will begin in June 2012 on an automated five-story parking structure at West Hollywood City Hall. With state-of-the-art technology, this new computerized parking structure will offer a valet-like experience where people leave their cars and the automated system then stores the vehicles in parking berths using motorized lifts, conveyers and shuttles. When a person is ready to leave, the system will then retrieve his or her car.

It will have the capacity for 200 cars, compared with the 66 spaces available in the current lot that the automated parking structure will replace.

The city toyed with the idea of the automated parking system when it first started discussing the parking problem at City Hall four years ago, but the cost at that time was prohibitive—$40,000 to $50,000 per parking space. However, the price has come down drastically in the past year, making it a viable option at $13,200 per space.

Earlier this month, the City Council awarded the $2.6 million contract for the technology to Unitronics. The city will have to build a shell around the parking structure as well as a motor court area for dropping off and picking up cars.

The total amount allotted for the structure, technology, motor court and community plaza area is $13 million.
    Based on these number you could build a 500 space garage for $6.6 million if you didn't include all the plazas and public space. To flash back to a comment made by FritterGirl earlier, you probably wouldn't build 1000 car garages like this becasue the footprint is so small compared to a traditional garage it would be cheaper to build five 200 space garages that could deliver cars 5X faster than a single mega-garage. With an automated system like this Devon could have cut the space required for parking by 80%.

At the corner of Sheridan and Oklahoma Ave, in the heart of Bricktown, there is a 44 car parking lot that could easily be converted into parking for 400 cars using this technology, with room for ground level retail I might add.

I was thinking the same thing, I'm 52 and still have mine and most of the hot wheels as well, My son and I collect them, some are quite valuable.

Thread Information