Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Downtown Parking

Default Re: Downtown Parking

The 10th and robinson site needs to be at the SW corner as that is vacant.

I am not a big fan of putting a parking garage on a corner. They should be mid-block.

What's the projected vertical on the DT site 1? Would it be in keeping with other heights in the vicinity or would there be more height involved.

Ar 86 spaces per floor I am guessing it would be 8 to 10 floors. If the Preftakes property across the street is factored in it could to twice that height. I could see it being as tall as the Hightower building and the City building.

I believe that site needs some great development obviously, I just don't think we need a parking garage towering over the last remnants of our historic Main Street storefronts, WHICH Preftakes is going to have some headaches if he wants to tear them down.

If Preftakes is going to build a tower in its place you are going to have one lonely fight.

http://newsok.com/no-vacancy-at-down...rticle/3653016

I'm hoping this doesn't occur and we can plan for a better use of this space.

The Century Center Garage at Robinson and Sheridan avenues may offer the most immediate opportunity for expansion. Holtzclaw said engineers are looking at adding two stories to the public garage, a move that would provide an additional 350 spaces, but work couldn't begin for months.

If the City Hall garage is 500 spaces then that would make it 7 stories assuming there is no parking on the ground floor.

The City hall site is by far the best option. Many of the other sites wouldn't really alleviate problem because they are too far out from the current source. Not surprising that the city hall site is the best, since the city thought that it made sense to build up the city west garage (before they thought it made sense to sell it at a loss). People visiting City Hall, the library, the county courthouse, county offices, the museum and many other locations would benefit greatly from that location.

500 spaces at the City Hall site is not very many and that is still at least 1.5 years out.

Why not turn the future convention center land into surface lots for the time being?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    ... Why not turn the future convention center land into surface lots for the time being?
    Or even longer. Kind of sad there's even a problem. Given all the delays in completing the new 40, and knowing all along the spaces under the now old 40 would have to yeild to demo and the new blvd., seems like substitute parking could have been arranged well in advance of any hurry up oh no whut to do now mode having any chance of setting in. Shame on them.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    or even longer. Kind of sad there's even a problem. Given all the delays in completing the new 40, and knowing all along the spaces under the now old 40 would have to yeild to demo and the new blvd., seems like substitute parking could have been arranged well in advance of any hurry up oh no whut to do now mode having any chance of setting in. Shame on them.
    amen!

Plus, the City sold the Broadway/Kerr garage to SandRidge just recently, fully aware of this problem.

I'm all for what SandRidge is doing but they have also demolished a bunch of parking around their tower, are in the process of demolishing a bunch more in the old Globe Life structure and already own several surface lots near their campus. So now we can't bring in more businesses because they chose to tear down parking they already had and don't want to develop their surface lots?

I'm sure part of the strategy is to create this capacity problem so it's easier to use eminent domain to gain control of key properties.

I s this a common problem in other cities or is this just pOOOOOOOOOOr planning?

Quote Originally Posted by Jchaser405 View Post
    I s this a common problem in other cities or is this just pOOOOOOOOOOr planning?
    I wouldn't say that its been all POOR planning.. They City knew we were getting the NBA team in 2008. They knew Devon was building a tower in 2009, and believe it or not they knew about Continental in advance, but its just hard to get things moving including funding and putting out bids for city projects.

Also I was told by someone in the "know" that its going to cost in the range of $20,000 PER space added to make new floors in the Century Center garage, thus basically making it too expensive to expand that structure.

Quote Originally Posted by hipsterdoofus View Post
    The City hall site is by far the best option. Many of the other sites wouldn't really alleviate problem because they are too far out from the current source. Not surprising that the city hall site is the best, since the city thought that it made sense to build up the city west garage (before they thought it made sense to sell it at a loss). People visiting City Hall, the library, the county courthouse, county offices, the museum and many other locations would benefit greatly from that location.
    However, if a new skyscraper is built across the street, this garage will be filled up pretty quickly, unle:ss the occupant of new skyscraper builds their own on Preftakes site.

The City is really dragging their feet on public projects like Project 90, parking, and railroad quiet zone, that is hindering future private development.

Any new skyscraper will build their own parking - just like Devon did by adding floors to the garage they bought. Also, the city doesn't own the Ford site yet and I think the price just went up. I for one don't want anyone building a surface parking lot - especially the City. I don't care if it is temporary or not.

The CC site doesn't need to have a surface lot built... It was a car dealership and has tons of paved areas for cars.

Seems silly for it to sit empty directly across from the arena where there is a specific, immediate need.

The lot immediately west of the CHK Arena was bulldozed. So it would need to be repaved.

Ah, shows how much I park my car there. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jchaser405 View Post
    Most popular cities have this problem. But most of them also have transportation alternatives that mitigate the need for parking. The bigger problem is that parking is 100% required for access to downtown. As long as this is true, prime real estate will continue to be used for parking, making it harder to ultimately develop a dense, mixed use downtown that many want. They could build garages with street front retail to preserve downtown's appeal, but I would be SHOCKED if the city did that. I'm pretty sure it will all be stopgap airport style parking garages plopped onto prime spots.

All 3 lots west of the arena is full during the Thunder games, except for the closest one, which is 20 bucks, and it gets close to full. The next is $ 10 and the farthest is $5... and they fill up pretty fast.

Thread Information