Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Downtown Parking

Blog Entries

Default Re: Downtown Parking

Quote Originally Posted by Reno and Walker View Post
    Yawn Yawn
    Not sure I understand. Do you find the idea of properly respecting and serving the disabled boring?

An additional comment -Enforcing ADA compliance can be done either through law enforcement or simple economics when it comes to private business. I.E. - if a business is non-compliant, pleople can choose not to do business with them.

With public buildings, "customers" don't always have a choice. Try getting off the IRS mailing list and see how that works for you.

And yes - the building was finished before ADA enactment. The owners of the building have made some areas accessible, but not all. We have one employee who is temporarily in a wheelchair and allowed to work at home for now. There is no way possible she could navigate Project 180 construction. We don't, however, allow a taxpayer the same reasonable accommodation.

Bottom line - parking downtown for those with disabilities is a nightmare. An entire segment of the population is being ignored and disrespected.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Not sure I understand. Do you find the idea of properly respecting and serving the disabled boring?
    ? nice one rover..

I'm going to jump in here and ignore the string of ad hominems in the last few posts. I have a very good feeling about the NW 10th and Robinson site, perhaps the best site, but that's the one that I've mostly been thinking over at this point.

Any other thoughts on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I'm going to jump in here and ignore the string of ad hominems in the last few posts. I have a very good feeling about the NW 10th and Robinson site, perhaps the best site, but that's the one that I've mostly been thinking over at this point.

After trying to remember what was there, I finally gave up and drove by the 10th and Robinson area on my way to McBride today. Who would park there? What would constitute the customer base/users in that area? It seems so remote, unless I'm missing something major. Now - if it were a park and ride - hell, yeah!

As a neighbor in the Mason Bldg, we're at raking capacity. 10th/Broadway can't be developed the way the would like to due to the parking issue.

It might go a long way to enabling further development in the area and along 9th. Streetcar "Park N' Ride" would definitely be possible.

If it were the Bricktown site, perhaps it could be integrated into our transit hub monies/planning.

I would think that doing the transit hub parking garage NOW with this opportunity would be a way of getting to that sooner than expected (or easier than expected).

Lauri, as for who would park in it, I think there are way more offices in Mid-town than we realize. Not to mention restaurants and a budding retail scene. These tenants can't afford to secure parking of their own, except for the heavy hitters like Plaza Court--if we had a public parking solution for Mid-town then developers could develop without having to worry about parking, which right now is a major concern in Mid-town (ie., as Jeff says is hindering the development at a few major intersections). I think it would also have the park-n-ride deal too.

I would think that doing the transit hub parking garage NOW with this opportunity would be a way of getting to that sooner than expected (or easier than expected).

Lauri, as for who would park in it, I think there are way more offices in Mid-town than we realize. Not to mention restaurants and a budding retail scene. These tenants can't afford to secure parking of their own, except for the heavy hitters like Plaza Court--if we had a public parking solution for Mid-town then developers could develop without having to worry about parking, which right now is a major concern in Mid-town (ie., as Jeff says is hindering the development at a few major intersections). I think it would also have the park-n-ride deal too.
    I see where you're coming from, Spartan. I guess my tunnel vision regarding CBD frustrations interfered. I rarely go to Mid-Town, but that is partly because of lack of parking options. When we go that way for lunch we take the early shift at 11 AM, where there is no lack of parking!

My office looks out on this lot and I hope it is not chosen for selfish reasons. Right now I am watching the renovations on the Packard building, the Cline and Frontline Church. I don't think I would like to see a multi story parking garage as my main view every day.

Quote Originally Posted by CCOKC View Post
    My office looks out on this lot and I hope it is not chosen for selfish reasons. Right now I am watching the renovations on the Packard building, the Cline and Frontline Church. I don't think I would like to see a multi story parking garage as my main view every day.
    I can understand that. I used to be able to see the Myriad Gardens before this monstrous tower was built.

With the city selling off their parking garages to private companies I do think that parking in downtown proper, not midtown, not AA not Bricktown but downtown is what they need to be looking at. They wouldn't be in such a bind if they hadn't sold off so much parking to private companies.

Yes, if they are going to continue selling public garages for private use then there seems to be a responsibility to replace them.

And in turn, this process seems to be working: 1) build a garage with public money; 2) makes easier for everyone downtown, including new employers; 3) sell when someone is large enough to need if for their own use; 4) repeat.

Parking is always the biggest issue of anyone looking to locate downtown, so the more your can minimize it the more successful we'll be in getting companies to move/grow there.

Quote Originally Posted by CCOKC View Post
    That's why any of these garages should be "wrapped" in some other use. Right now that site is a giant surface parking lot. To me, that is of no aesthetic improvement. Particularly when nary a tree exists either.

Jeff, do you think 10th and Robinson stands a chance to be picked over Bricktown, or a site that could accomplish the coveted goal of tearing down buildings?

Here are the various sites the city are kicking around:

What do they mean by "future development" in that first picture?

They just mean empty space to be filled.

Nothing we didn't already know about a long time ago.

Is downtown site 3 a new superblock? or do the arrows going north through it mean traffic will still flow on Lee?

Quote Originally Posted by wschnitt View Post
    Is downtown site 3 a new superblock? or do the arrows going north through it mean traffic will still flow on Lee?
    Lee would be closed... The arrows just depict garage ingress/egress.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Lee would be closed... The arrows just depict garage ingress/egress.
    It looks like the floor plan seems to indicate a tunnel.

This one gets the JTF 5-star rating for location. It provides parking for people doing business with the City, will provide foot traffic for nearby businesses, parking for Civic Center events, will be on the streetcar line, and does not create a superblock.

The placement of the three possible garages on the west side of the CBD is a further indication that something big is going to happen on the Preftakes block.

I think the 4th and Broadway site is probably big enough to incorporate a large parking structure.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    The placement of the three possible garages on the west side of the CBD is a further indication that something big is going to happen on the Preftakes block.
    Those would also serve the new convention center on it's proposed site.

Word has it the City Hall and the old YMCA site (5th/Robinson) are at the top of the list to start.

25. Default Re: Downtown Parking

I like the City Hall site. A lot.

Thread Information