Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Downtown Parking

Blog Entries

Default Re: Downtown Parking

That is cool. Interestingly, the highest walkability I found was at NW Expressway and May area. 63rd and Western was high too. Downtown was good but it counts Sage Market as a downtown grocery. Don't think they are even in business.

Doesn't seem to take into account sidewalks, ramps, traffic danger, etc. Uses a pretty simplistic algorithm apparently. It is about as accurate as its estimated home pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    ...The intent is to pick up passengers in Norman, Midwest City, Edmond, and a few other places and have them ride rail into downtown. ...If they build a parking garage at the hub who would ride commuter rail?...
    And how does have a parking garage next to the Hub change that? Folks commuting FROM Norman et al are not going to be using it BUT those that are here in the Metro that don't have convenient access may just drive to the Hub and continue on to Norman et al from there. Same as those that park at the Amtrack station now and ride the Heartland Flyer to points south. Those that are at points south visiting OKC aren't going to be using the parking garage. This IS a Intermodal Transit Hub, I would presume that that could also include cars????

How are you going to get around in Norman and Edmond when you get there without a car?

How are you going to get around in Norman and Edmond when you get there without a car?
    Walk. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by MDot View Post
    Walk. Lol
    lol -so you drive your car to the downtown hub, pay to park, ride the train to Norman, and walk to OU. That makes a lot of sense.

lol -so you drive your car to the downtown hub, pay to park, ride the train to Norman, and walk to OU. That makes a lot of sense.
    Lol I would, but I also don't have that typical Oklahoma attitude where I have to drive my car to the front door of my destination.

I'm not sure why I got started in on this thread cause it doesn't matter to me either way how I get where I'm going as long as I get there.

My "walk" comment was just made for a smart ellic response that nobody else had put on here. Just laugh at JTF and not take it so personally. ;-) lol

I'm not sure why I got started in on this thread cause it doesn't matter to me either way how I get where I'm going as long as I get there.

My "walk" comment was just made for a smart ellic response that nobody else had put on here. Just laugh at JTF and not take it so personally. ;-) lol
    To be honest, it doesn't matter anyhow. A parking garage is not going to be part of the downtown hub for at least 20 years.

To be honest, it doesn't matter anyhow. A parking garage is not going to be part of the downtown hub for at least 20 years.
    So we're on the same page for now.

So we're on the same page for now.
    We can talk about it again in 18 years. I put an entry in my Outlook calendar.

We can talk about it again in 18 years. I put an entry in my Outlook calendar.
    And I need to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Why do we need the rest of our organs? Get rid of the heart and the lungs. All we need is our head, right?

I think credibility is lost if anyone is suggesting that OKC will be a public transit only, or even public transit predominant city anytime in the next 100 years..even in the core. It isn't that way anywhere in the world and never will be
    I don't know what you mean, because I know a lot of cities where public transit is predominant.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I don't know what you mean, because I know a lot of cities where public transit is predominant.
    Just curious what cities in the US are predomantly public transit? Don't know the numbers, but NYC would seem to be the only possible candidate, and only if you consider only Manhattan. I still don't think OKC will be like Manhattan even in 100 years.

Just curious what cities in the US are predomantly public transit? Don't know the numbers, but NYC would seem to be the only possible candidate, and only if you consider only Manhattan. I still don't think OKC will be like Manhattan even in 100 years.
    I hope not. :-)

The same way you do now? How do folks get round after taking the Heartland to Ft. Worth? How do you get around when you come into any airport or train station? Sounds like you are saying they shouldn't even bother unless someone lives right next door to whatever mass transit exists and it goes directly to their destination??? Don't bother coming to the OKC airport unless you only want to eat at Sonic & the airport version of POPS???

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    The same way you do now? How do folks get round after taking the Heartland to Ft. Worth? How do you get around when you come into any airport or train station?
    It doesn't matter, a parking garage is not part of the hub for 20 years.

Only NYC. The four big boroughs all are predominately public transit:

Manhattan: 58% use transit, 21% walk, 9% drive (or carpool)
    Brooklyn: 60% use transit, 9% walk, 25% drive
    Bronx: 57% use transit, 7% walk, 31% drive
    Queens: 51% use transit, 6% walk, 40% drive

Less than half of commuters drive in SF, Boston, and DC.

SF: 32% use transit, 10% walk, 47% drive
    Boston: 33% use transit, 14% walk, 48% drive
    DC: 37% use transit, 11% walk, 44% drive

Chicago and Philadelphia are next with about 26% using public transit in each.

In OKC 94% drive, 0.8% use transit, and 1.4% walk to work.

Blog Entries

I have read a recent world study indicating that car use grows until commuting is around one hour each way, at which time driving peaks, and even starts to decline. Such is the case with many congested cities. That means jobs need to keep moving from the outside to the inner core and they need to be desirable jobs.

I have read a recent world study indicating that car use grows until commuting is around one hour each way, at which time driving peaks, and even starts to decline. Such is the case with many congested cities. That means jobs need to keep moving from the outside to the inner core and they need to be desirable jobs.

Interesting point. Since OKC has almost no real traffic congestion, commute times are very short (right at 20 min each way, below national average). Also because the city is so sparsely populated, driving is the only feasible mode of transportation. Out of 74 U.S. cities with a population over 250,000, OKC ties with Wichita and Ft. Wayne, IN, for second-to-last place for amount of commuters using public transit. Arlington, TX, has the lowest amount of public transportation use per capita (0.1%).

And that is why we can't justify trying to give everyone Class A bus or rail service. It needs to be available in higher density urban zones of the city.

Quote Originally Posted by semisimple View Post
    Only NYC. The four big boroughs all are predominately public transit:

Manhattan: 58% use transit, 21% walk, 9% drive (or carpool)
    Brooklyn: 60% use transit, 9% walk, 25% drive
    Bronx: 57% use transit, 7% walk, 31% drive
    Queens: 51% use transit, 6% walk, 40% drive

Less than half of commuters drive in SF, Boston, and DC.

SF: 32% use transit, 10% walk, 47% drive
    Boston: 33% use transit, 14% walk, 48% drive
    DC: 37% use transit, 11% walk, 44% drive

Chicago and Philadelphia are next with about 26% using public transit in each.

In OKC 94% drive, 0.8% use transit, and 1.4% walk to work.
    Where did you get these figures? This is good data.

95.48% commute? Doesn't make sense? Percentages need to add up to 100% or you have data missing or is flawed.

Not doubting the numbers, but what data is missing?

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWestOKC View Post
    95.48% commute? Doesn't make sense? Percentages need to add up to 100% or you have data missing or is flawed.

This:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roosevelt_Island_Tramway

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWestOKC View Post

Not everyone commutes. There are lots of people who either work from home, are homemakers, are unable to commute due to physical disabilities, are in prison, etc.

Do they ever use transportation? They need to add a category to make the numbers add to 100%.

Thread Information