Widgets Magazine
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Downtown Parking

Default Re: Downtown Parking

I always street park for Thunder Games usually by the Gardens and around 5. I'll go out to eat before hand. Back in the day when you had to put a sticker on your car. 90% of the people parked on the street had no stickers. Even now I'll get there about 5:30 and to be safe I'll sit in my car a bit to see if anyone comes around and nope. Everyone that parking isn't paying and with how full those spots are around 5 I know people have to be getting there early. Also even though it has gotten better parking in the front of the Fire Hydrant happen almost every game. This year however I have only seen it twice.

2. Default Re: Downtown Parking

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    So will we be losing the free evening and weekend parking? I got to say I would rather pay the city for parking than private entities... If I have to pay for parking that is. But I really think we need to have other options of getting downtown before they implement any more paid parking. Currently my only option is to drive and park downtown if I want to go, I don't have a bus or train from Yukon.
    It looks like that is only mentioned for Bricktown.

Was there any mention of the new parking meters, those in which you enter your license plate, estimated parking time and payment? I miss the simplicity of the older coin meters, but perhaps these newer meters are cost-effective overall.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    I always street park for Thunder Games usually by the Gardens and around 5. I'll go out to eat before hand. Back in the day when you had to put a sticker on your car. 90% of the people parked on the street had no stickers. Even now I'll get there about 5:30 and to be safe I'll sit in my car a bit to see if anyone comes around and nope. Everyone that parking isn't paying and with how full those spots are around 5 I know people have to be getting there early. Also even though it has gotten better parking in the front of the Fire Hydrant happen almost every game. This year however I have only seen it twice.
    I have never once seen someone getting a ticket post 5pm. In fact, I am not even sure the meter maid's shifts go to 6pm like the enforcement conclusion states. I feel like making enforcement to 6pm is just an easy money grab for that extra hour.

I guess I am missing something - I don't understand why they are suggesting paid parking be implemented in Midtown and Auto Alley. The free and accessible parking is a large reason I frequent the areas. Not sure how marketing, wayfinding, or vacancy is improved by paid parking.

Speaking of parking

There is a silver Hyundai that parks on Main Street between broadway and Gaylord everyday and gets at least one or more tickets daily and we’ve been watching it at the office for about 6 months or longer occur. She parks and then walks into the Bancfirst Tower. We are baffled at why someone would do this and rack up so many parking tickets.

When there is so much available parking within the same walking distance of parking on the street each day to get a ticket.

7. Default Re: Downtown Parking

I'm always amazed at how many people genuinely think parking tickets don't mean anything.

8. Default Re: Downtown Parking

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    We are baffled at why someone would do this and rack up so many parking tickets.
    Maybe she has a need for attention and this is how she gets it?

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    There is a silver Hyundai that parks on Main Street between broadway and Gaylord everyday and gets at least one or more tickets daily and we’ve been watching it at the office for about 6 months or longer occur. She parks and then walks into the Bancfirst Tower. We are baffled at why someone would do this and rack up so many parking tickets.
    Is it Judge Kendra Coleman? She has a long history of parking & traffic tickets, and according to this, still thinks that rules don't apply to her. https://oklahoman.com/article/565457...ice-over-debts

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    So will we be losing the free evening and weekend parking? I got to say I would rather pay the city for parking than private entities... If I have to pay for parking that is. But I really think we need to have other options of getting downtown before they implement any more paid parking. Currently my only option is to drive and park downtown if I want to go, I don't have a bus or train from Yukon.
    There is free parking available if you're willing to enjoy a nice walk. I never pay for parking when I come to this area. I usually park over by the Hill and walk to Bricktown, Chesapeake, wherever.

So, this study makes it clear: THERE IS WAAAAAYYYYY TOO MUCH PARKING IN THE CORE. The parking which is built is underutilized. Overbuilding parking also hurts other forms of transportation: walking, biking, streetcar, buses. Of course, I fully expect every business to continue demanding parking garages be built next to their door so no one has to experience the pain of using their legs to walk more than 10 feet.

People in OKC will have to adapt. In the suburbs, you get to park in front of your destination. In urban areas, you park within the vicinity. If you try to make it otherwise, you damage the area, but the benefits are a far more vibrant, communal, and serendipitous experience.

The study makes no mention of the sufficiency of handicap parking spaces in any area. Why are those drivers needs not being addressed? Or is the core only for those without physical limitations? Not everybody is able to bike or enjoy a nice walk. OKC is deficient for those wherever construction is present.

Have not read all comments. But think before we declare too much parking we need to wait until OMNI, Convention Center and Scizzors Park are open to see how that might impact parking spaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    The study makes no mention of the sufficiency of handicap parking spaces in any area. Why are those drivers needs not being addressed? Or is the core only for those without physical limitations? Not everybody is able to bike or enjoy a nice walk. OKC is deficient for those wherever construction is present.
    Yet disabled people in NYC, LA, Chicago etc are able to do it somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Yet disabled people in NYC, LA, Chicago etc are able to do it somehow.
    Yet we are talking OKC here. The parking study made no mention of those cities in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    Have not read all comments. But think before we declare too much parking we need to wait until OMNI, Convention Center and Scizzors Park are open to see how that might impact parking spaces.
    The Omni and Convention Center are bringing 1100 additional parking spaces with them to opening. If anything it’s going to make the glut of downtown parking even worse than it already is.

Hopefully this study shines a light on how unnecessary and ridiculous building a surface parking lot to cram 70 more cars in front of Chesapeake Arena is.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    The Omni and Convention Center are bringing 1100 additional parking spaces with them to opening. If anything it’s going to make the glut of downtown parking even worse than it already is.

Hopefully this study shines a light on how unnecessary and ridiculous building a surface parking lot to cram 70 more cars in front of Chesapeake Arena is.
    We do not yet know for fact how many spots will be needed. Plus the park. Just workers at OMNI/CC will need parking then guests and plus we have much shopping at OMNI as well.

Lets wait and see.

Blog Entries

Just as they do now during the arts festival (people complain about parking even though the arts garage is very close and largely empty at that time), people will continue to gripe about lack of parking around Scissortail, and there might be 500+ spots at the convention garage at the time of their gripe. I guarantee this will happen, as it already does in very similar scenarios.

We do not yet know for fact how many spots will be needed. Plus the park. Just workers at OMNI/CC will need parking then guests and plus we have much shopping at OMNI as well.

Lets wait and see.
    We dont know how many spots will be needed, but we dont have to wait and see to know that it wont be anywhere close to the ~24,000 that currently exist downtown unused during peak hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Yet we are talking OKC here. The parking study made no mention of those cities in comparison.
    I’m just saying there are ways to have ADA compliant cities that are accessible to those with disabilities without needing a parking space 10 feet from every store or destination.

We dont know how many spots will be needed, but we dont have to wait and see to know that it wont be anywhere close to the ~24,000 that currently exist downtown unused during peak hours.
    Out of downtowners are not gonna park 2 blocks away to shop at OMNI shops. And elsewhere. Regardless what some want to think thats just reality. That parking you mention is spread out.

Out of downtowners are not gonna park 2 blocks away to shop at OMNI shops. And elsewhere. Regardless what some want to think thats just reality. That parking you mention is spread out.
    The streetcar will let you park at any of the lots mentioned and drop you off right at the front entrance. 24,000 open parking spots with almost zero walking . An out of downtowner’s dream come true.

Only in OKC would 24,000 unused parking spaces not be considered enough.

The streetcar will let you park at any of the lots mentioned and drop you off right at the front entrance.
    Which brings us back to, the streetcar should be free.

The streetcar will let you park at any of the lots mentioned and drop you off right at the front entrance. 24,000 open parking spots with almost zero walking . An out of downtowner’s dream come true.

It depends where you park. SC is a circular so if the lots are full upstream of event you have to take a long trip around. And inverse is if you happen to get parked upstream then after event you have to ride it almost a full circuit to get back to car. You have to think in terms of out of downtowners. To shop at OMNI shops they are not gonna do this. Park in a lot/garage and pay. Pay SC to ride it full circuit either before or after you shop. The SC is not friendly to people who drive to downtown. People like to park close to where they are going.

Now, if we had a bunch of micro buses running routes all over downtown it would be much easier plus buses can added in peak times plus can adjust route. In my SC scenario you also have to hope it doesn’t get stopped for a spell due to problems ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    Which brings us back to, the streetcar should be free.
    i disagree it should absolutely NOT be free.

The streetcar is also incredibly slow

Thread Information