Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mickey Mantle's

Default Re: Mickey Mantle's

^

Etiquette varies greatly by region.

Many from other countries hold the knife if their right hand, for example, and with the fork turned with the backside out.

It's all completely silly. Apart from doing something totally rude, who cares?

I like how Vast puts their dress code policy. Basically saying that since many people use Vast for special occasions to dress better for their other patrons. The management sounds more concerned with setting the right atmosphere for their guests all around and not themselves.

Dress code is one thing.

Instructing people how to order and hold their utensils is just bizarre.

Didn't have a huge problem with this, though I agree the tone could be better. But it's not like this is restaurant policy pasted on the main page of their website that the restaurant expects everyone to follow. It's one of over 200 blog posts buried fairly deep within Mickey Mantle's website that I suspect very few people have actually ever read. Further, this was very likely written by an early-20s young professional from MM's digital marketing firm (if I'm remembering correctly it was then and I believe still is Koch Communications) and I suspect if you mentioned this blog post to MM management they would have absolutely no idea what you were talking about.

While stuff like this of course ultimately reflects on the restaurant itself, it's not like this is posted on the front page of MM's website with a copy on the restaurant door telling people how MM's management expects its patrons to behave. Rather, it's just a piece of "digital content" that most would have a hard time finding unless provided with a direct link as was the case here. Not trying to minimize how it looks, as I agree the tone is not great, but let's recognize this for what it is, which is a piece of general content to fill MM's blog and not management's policy/requirements for dining at the restaurant itself (even if MM wished more people would heed the article's advice).

"How you should behave while giving us lots of money."

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Dress code is one thing.

Instructing people how to order and hold their utensils is just bizarre.
    Or how to order their steak and what wine they should order.

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    Didn't have a huge problem with this, though I agree the tone could be better. But it's not like this is restaurant policy pasted on the main page of their website that the restaurant expects everyone to follow. It's one of over 200 blog posts buried fairly deep within Mickey Mantle's website that I suspect very few people have actually ever read. Further, this was very likely written by an early-20s young professional from MM's digital marketing firm (if I'm remembering correctly it was then and I believe still is Koch Communications) and I suspect if you mentioned this blog post to MM management they would have absolutely no idea what you were talking about.

While stuff like this of course ultimately reflects on the restaurant itself, it's not like this is posted on the front page of MM's website with a copy on the restaurant door telling people how MM's management expects its patrons to behave. Rather, it's just a piece of "digital content" that most would have a hard time finding unless provided with a direct link as was the case here. Not trying to minimize how it looks, as I agree the tone is not great, but let's recognize this for what it is, which is a piece of general content to fill MM's blog and not management's policy/requirements for dining at the restaurant itself (even if MM wished more people would heed the article's advice).
    I found it by googling dress code for Mahogany. Wasn't looking for it but it came up fairly high on first page if I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Or how to order their steak and what wine they should order.
    I find myself in the weird position of defending MM, a restaurant I don't really care for, but the manufactured disdain here for something that doesn't matter in the slightest is confusing to me. Again, I suspect if you asked anyone that worked at MM what they thought about these "instructions" they would have no idea what you were talking about. Though of course digital content like this does reflect on the restaurant, the idea that this can be construed as "policy" or "instructions" of how to eat at MM is questionable at best.

Where does the blog post instruct people what wine they should order? It's merely suggesting that you discuss options with a sommelier and giving some general guidelines. I suspect virtually any "nice" restaurant would tell you that people are often intimidated by pairing wine with food and guidance from a knowledgeable professional is often appreciated by customers.

Where does the blog post instruct people how to order their steak? The first sentence is literally "Again, personal preference dictates the cut of the steak and how it is prepared." While it says medium rare is often considered the best (which I suspect a strong majority of people that eat steak regularly would generally agree with) nowhere does it instruct anyone what to eat.

Again, I agree that the tone could have been better, but the manufactured disdain for this is funny and I just don't see how a blog post such as this could reasonably be considered MM's "instructions" or "policy" on how to eat at the restaurant. A quick review of the other posts/topics in their blog should make this abundantly clear.

That web page just confirms my thoughts that Micky Mantle's is your grandfather's steakhouse. Watch a few Leave it to Beaver re-runs and it's obvious dining dress code and decorum is ever evolving and not written in stone like salad before dessert.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    That web page just confirms my thoughts that Micky Mantle's is your grandfather's steakhouse. Watch a few Leave it to Beaver re-runs and it's obvious dining dress code and decorum is ever evolving and not written in stone like salad before dessert.
    lol mickeys has one of the best bars in okc and is the best place to smoke a cigar .and doesn't have an old vibe in any way

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    lol mickeys has one of the best bars in okc and is the best place to smoke a cigar .and doesn't have an old vibe in any way
    How are the grand children doing these days?

FWIW, the last time I went to Mickey's there were people in all stages of dress and undress. My group was in slacks and jackets, ordered fairly consistently with what people here are calling MM's "instructions/rules/requirements," know how to use a fork and steak knife and we received pretty crappy service, while the folks in t-shirts and flip flops sitting near us drinking light domestic beers (I have no problem with either of these things in the slightest) were not only allowed in the restaurant but we noted it looked like they got great service in comparison. So at least anecdotally from my experience, Mickey's doesn't care about "their rules" nearly as much as many here are asserting they do.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Actually, it's just a smoking bar.

Went in there once, ordered food, and then realized about half the people in there were smoking their heads off -- and not cigars.

Never went back.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Yeah, now the standard is more like Chili's as a fine dining establishment. LOL Dignified, classy … out. Anything goes … in.

I guess that just begs the question: “does money spend?”

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Found this online looking for something else. Seems a little presumptuous to tell people how they should hold their silverware, order their steak and what to drink.

https://mickeymantlesteakhouse.com/b...ner-etiquette/
    Nothing says fine dining like wrinkled up messy table cloths. Check out the picture at the top of the link.

Wow!

Thread Information