Widgets Magazine

Thread: Google Maps Truck in OKC

Default Google Maps Truck in OKC

One of my friends just saw the Google Maps truck taking pictures in Northwest OKC.

Default Re: Google Maps Truck in OKC

Cool; I saw them on I-40 in western Oklahoma about a month ago.

3. Default Re: Google Maps Truck in OKC

I followed them around midtown for a while last week and saw them in my neighborhood (Gatewood) later that day.

Glad to know I'm not crazy. I saw them on 13th and Walker area last week.

Maybe HD pics are coming for OKC?

I would hope since most other major cities' streetview is.

Would be nice to see updated and HD pics around OKC. I passed a Google Maps VW in Amarillo about 2 weeks ago. It was a less-than-desirable part of Amarillo, but I guess we need maps of those places, too.

7. Default Re: Google Maps Truck in OKC

There is even streetview images of Juarez, Mexico.

8. Default Re: Google Maps Truck in OKC

I saw it when I was downtown the other day and took the photo below.

Default Google maps back in metro

Just drove downtown to get something from the printer and saw the Goigle Maps car with the cameras driving around mapping. Too bad P180 has most of the streets torn up.

Default Re: Google maps back in metro

Just had a mental image of a Google Prius, driven by Peanut, with Walter as his copilot, and Jeff Dunham sitting in the back with Jose Jalapeno ... on a stick.

I should start sleeping in on Saturdays

I don't know how long this process takes but I saw the car here several weeks ago.

LOL It took me awhile "googling" it, but I read on several different forums that generally it is 6 to 9 months after the pictures are taken until they update.

14. Default Re: Google maps back in metro

Quote Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
    LOL It took me awhile "googling" it, but I read on several different forums that generally it is 6 to 9 months after the pictures are taken until they update.
    They take so many pictures..too many..and it takes time to piece them together and enhance them.

ljbab728, we know The Oklahoman are slow. ;-)

15. Default Re: Google Maps Truck in OKC

Google Maps Street View vehicles updating metro images

Google Maps Street View vehicles have been cruising the streets of Oklahoma City and surrounding areas for weeks, updating the imagery used on Google Maps Street View.

BY HEATHER WARLICK MOORE hwarlick@opubco.com
    Published: September 30, 2011

If you see an economy hatchback vehicle driving by, mounted with cameras taller than the car itself and wrapped in Google Maps Street View graphics, smile. You may be on camera.

Google Maps Street View cars are currently cruising the metro collecting new and refreshed imagery for Google Maps.

Yeah, saw one headed south out of Edmond on Broadway Extension earlier this week. Tried to snap a photo of it with my cellphone, but it turned out pretty bad.

17. Default Re: Google maps back in metro

Looking forward to seeing Devon Tower in some updated images, as I'm sure Thunder is also squealing with delight for as well.

I saw the vehicle here in downtown Tulsa on Wednesday. A couple of co-workers and I may have a cameo appearance in the maps...

I just stumbled on some HD Street View images of the Academy store on Broadway in Edmond. It looks as if their car just drove around the store, through the parking lot, and around Rib Crib. The HD imagery doesn't seem to extend beyond these points. Weird, but hopefully they're on their way to more updates! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by poe View Post
    I just stumbled on some HD Street View images of the Academy store on Broadway in Edmond. It looks as if their car just drove around the store, through the parking lot, and around Rib Crib. The HD imagery doesn't seem to extend beyond these points. Weird, but hopefully they're on their way to more updates! :-)
    Good! I think they should be updating soon with all of the images they took last summer in Oklahoma because a good amount of the panhandle of Texas is in HD and the time on the pictures is as recent as October of last year, so I'm assuming they're working on updating pictures of places in geographical proximity.

Saw the car yesterday at Reno and EK Gaylord near Bricktown yesterday. I wouldn't think they'd be here again so soon, but the street view of that area hasn't been updated from their previous visits, so I don't know.

Thread Information