Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where can a guy get a good Monte Cristo in the 405?

Default Where can a guy get a good Monte Cristo in the 405?

I used to get these things all the time at Bennigan's. Someone mentioned them in a different topic and it made me realize I haven't had one in OKC since Bennigan's closed down a few years ago. So where's the best place to get one of these things around town nowadays?

Default Re: Where can a guy get a good Monte Cristo in the 405?

former O'Connell's in Norman had this. I presume the one on Asp at campus corner does, but I've never been and don't know for certain.

The Cheddar's down here have it on the menu. It is shown on the online menus for the Norman and Midwest City locations.

Wow, two responses within five minutes, with links, even! Thanks, fellas. May look into those places the next time I'm down around Norman way. Until then, though, keep the suggestions coming!

There's a review on Yelp that says the Monte Cristo at the Skirvin Hotel is "perfect." There is also mention of a good one at TapWerks in Bricktown.

Not sure if it is still around but the Garfields in Crossroads mall makes a mean Monte Cristo

7. Default Re: Where can a guy get a good Monte Cristo in the 405?

Garfields hasn't been at Crossroads in a long, long, long time...

Theres a name I haven't heard in a while (other than the cartoon strip). Are they still around? Can't say I recall seeing one in a long time but if in the malls, I rarely darken the doors any more.

9. Default Re: Where can a guy get a good Monte Cristo in the 405?

Yeah, they're still in business. Only a couple locations left in Oklahoma, none in the metro (Shawnee and Lawton I think). It's quite active in other states however. Just another investor thing... buy and sell, etc.

Good topic! I only get a craving for this thing once a year and it's becoming harder and harder to find. The new location of O'Connell's doesn't carry them and when I asked Jeff about it he said there wasn't enough demand and it has to be frozen in the batter in order to hold together so it couldn't be made on the fly. My mom had one at Cheddars in Norman and while it was "OK" I wouldn't order it myself. I didn't realize that one of my customers (Tapwerks) carried them and Skirvin but I'll be trying one out at both places and I'll give my review.

I had one at Shorty Small's (west side of the metro, I think on Meridian) a few weeks ago and it was very good. Reminded me of Bennigan's.

Had one at Cheddar's in MWC a few months ago and it was very good and very large.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettM2 View Post
    I had one at Shorty Small's (west side of the metro, I think on Meridian) a few weeks ago and it was very good. Reminded me of Bennigan's.
    Heads up on Shorty Small's. They're a customer of mine too so now I've got 3 Monte Cristos to try before I give my report I don't think there is any way that I could live with myself if I don't spread 3 over at least a couple of weeks. To be fair I should try 2 at 2 different times at each place to be able to comment on consistency so we're looking at a report no earlier than a month from now. Coolgreens can expect more business from me because of backlash and self loathing..ha ha

I read this thread this morning and have been thinking about a Monte Cristo all day now. I used to love the ones at Bennegins. I've had a really good one recently, but cannot for the life of me think of where I was. It might not have been in OKC, I've been out of town more than in town for the last few months. I'll have to keep thinking about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debzkidz View Post
    I read this thread this morning and have been thinking about a Monte Cristo all day now. I used to love the ones at Bennegins. I've had a really good one recently, but cannot for the life of me think of where I was. It might not have been in OKC, I've been out of town more than in town for the last few months. I'll have to keep thinking about this.
    The BBQ post on this message board set me off on a BBQ kick for the last week and I can see where this thread could do the same..lol

Never mind. I remembered where I had it. Sorry, it was in Fort Worth.

Ohh how I miss Bennigans.... They made the BEST monte cristo!

Never mind. I remembered where I had it. Sorry, it was in Fort Worth.
    Where in Fort Worth was it? I go there once in awhile. I had a Monte Cristo at Shorty Smalls this week. It was very good. I had a Monte Cristo in Dallas once at Humperdinks. It was made differently than the ones here in Oklahoma City. It did not seem as thick and doughy as the ones here. I like the doughy kind that Garfields, Bennigans, and Shorty Smalls have.

Bigray in Ok

Garfield's no longer has the Monte Cristo, went to Garfield's in Lawton a few weeks ago and it's no longer on the menu, I asked the server about it and she said they no longer offer it.

20. Default Re: Where can a guy get a good Monte Cristo in the 405?

I used to love these! But I'd imagine many are the equivalent to my entire day's caloric intake. Wish you could go to a diner and just order 1/4 sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrayok View Post
    Where in Fort Worth was it? I go there once in awhile. I had a Monte Cristo at Shorty Smalls this week. It was very good. I had a Monte Cristo in Dallas once at Humperdinks. It was made differently than the ones here in Oklahoma City. It did not seem as thick and doughy as the ones here. I like the doughy kind that Garfields, Bennigans, and Shorty Smalls have.

Bigray in Ok
    Chef Point Cafe in Watauga. It's actually in a Conoco station, but it's a wonderful restaurant. Learned about it on Diners, Drive ins and Dives and it turns out to be just around the corner from my sister in laws house.

Chef Point Cafe in Watauga. It's actually in a Conoco station, but it's a wonderful restaurant. Learned about it on Diners, Drive ins and Dives and it turns out to be just around the corner from my sister in laws house.
    They have good food there even with the wait, I had some Italian dish the time that I was there. My sister came down from OKC and met us there one of the weekends that our cousins band was playing at Billy Bob's, dinner at Chef Point and then a show at Billy Bob's.

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    There's a review on Yelp that says the Monte Cristo at the Skirvin Hotel is "perfect."
    This.

The Monte Cristo at the Beacon Club downtown was always fantastic.

I know it's still on the menu but I haven't had it in a long while.

Here's another vote for Cheddar's Monte Cristo. Really good, but I tend to like almost everything at Cheddar's. Not sure how they can be so reasonably priced and maintain the quality.

Thread Information