Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheeze the Juice (formerly Native Roots)

Deep Deuce Wheeze the Juice (formerly Native Roots)

Default Re: Native Roots to Deep Deuce!

Awesome! Several years ago they sad they were interested in the next few years, glad to see it come to fruition.

Very good win for downtown, and deep deuce in particular. I agree with one of the comments that it might have a narrow customer base. Not everyone is in to the natural food type stuff, despite it being better for you. This might spark some more ideas and proposals to get another niche grocery downtown.

i love native roots... very, very cool! -M

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWestOKC View Post
    Very good win for downtown, and deep deuce in particular. I agree with one of the comments that it might have a narrow customer base. Not everyone is in to the natural food type stuff, despite it being better for you. This might spark some more ideas and proposals to get another niche grocery downtown.
    Disagree, the urban crowd is more this niche than any other market segment

You still have a market that is not being covered. Don't know about Native Roots, never been there, but can you buy name brands there? Cheerios, Coca-Cola, etc. Not everyone is going to eat everything from this store 3 squares a day 365 times in a year. Trips will still need to be made out of downtown for those products, which is what I mean, narrow (niche) market. I have no doubt it will have success, because you are correct, the urban crowd does support these types of stores. But they don't buy everything they use from them (maybe a handful do).

Until you can live day to day without ever having to leave downtown, you will have an auto-centric population. Don't get me wrong, this is fantastic news for downtown. The article also mentions a small deli section, this will be good!

I shop at Native Roots and I live in Midtown. They have plenty of name brands and local brands, but you wnt find coca cola as it is more an Organic grocer, not a junk food store like Walmart, more like a local Whole Foods. They also have a nice bulk section.

This is fantastic news!

It also means OKC will finally have it's first fully realized urban district.

Hope it's just the first of many.

Fair enough.

Hopefully this will spark some retail across the street on the NW corner of NE 2 and Oklahoma. I drove by the other day and just noticed that empty retail space on the ground floor of those townhomes.

My daughter shops at Native Roots at least once a week, I wasn't that impressed, but to each his own. IMO, very overpriced. Local, home grown organic tomatoes $4.50 a pound, can be bought at the Norman Farmers market for $2.00 a pound. (same vendor/supplier)

Whatever your personal feelings about the grocer, this is very good for deep deuce and downtown.

Its a perfect fit! The people living in that area are their target audience. They will do great there. I think this will definitely spur more development in the area and sales too! Level 3 is also moving very quickly! I think it could open early!

I bet betts is happy!

This area truly will now have it all:
    • Great skyline views
    • Lots of housing options from rental to purchase and a good range amongst those
    • Hotel: Aloft
    • Grocery: Native Roots
    • Restaurants: The Wedge, Deep Deuce Grill, Sage, two new places at the Aloft plus a coffee shop, more likely at Level
    • Bars: Deep Deuce Grill, WXYZ at Aloft
    • Future retail: Maywood Lofts, Aloft and Level
    • Recreation: walk to great new downtown Y; easy access to Oklahoma River, Myriad Gardens and new Central Park
    • Work: easy walk to all of downtown; health sciences center within a mile
    • Art & Entertainment: easy walk to Bricktown movie theater, bars, restaurants, clubs, Bricktown Ballpark, Red Pin bowling, OKC Arena, library, museums
    • Transportation: easy access to I-235, I-35 and I-40; Amtrak short walk, streetcar will be nearby

All this plus another firm housing development (Ron Bradshaw) and still more development that you know will follow.

15. Default Re: Native Roots to Deep Deuce!

Pete, you nailed it. And there's more housing yet to come into Deep Deuce/Maywood that has yet to be announced.... Remember how the crash of 2008 froze up development downtown? At the moment, that appears to be history.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    I bet betts is happy!

This area truly will now have it all:
    • Great skyline views
    • Lots of housing options from rental to purchase and a good range amongst those
    • Hotel: Aloft
    • Grocery: Native Roots
    • Restaurants: The Wedge, Deep Deuce Grill, Sage, two new places at the Aloft plus a coffee shop, more likely at Level
    • Bars: Deep Deuce Grill, WXYZ at Aloft
    • Future retail: Maywood Lofts, Aloft and Level
    • Recreation: walk to great new downtown Y; easy access to Oklahoma River, Myriad Gardens and new Central Park
    • Work: easy walk to all of downtown; health sciences center within a mile
    • Art & Entertainment: easy walk to Bricktown movie theater, bars, restaurants, clubs, Bricktown Ballpark, Red Pin bowling, OKC Arena, library, museums
    • Transportation: easy access to I-235, I-35 and I-40; Amtrak short walk, streetcar will be nearby

All this plus another firm housing development (Ron Bradshaw) and still more development that you know will follow.
    Now they just need to run a streetcar through there.

17. Default Re: Native Roots to Deep Deuce!

Jeff?

Sid, you might check with Level3 on their facebook page, I think you can reserve an apartment there. I talked to Richard about it and he made it sound like they are ready to reserve apartments.

Great progress for Deep Deuce. The area could use another bar in the near future...

The two-level WXYZ bar at the Aloft is going to be quite large with a patio. The decor and execution will be unlike anything else in town.

And you can bet that others will follow. There are plenty of good spots for them.

I'm happy! Currently dining at the Deep Deuce Grill. I love my neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Now they just need to run a streetcar through there.
    http://www.letstalktransit.com/Websi...aft-6-1-11.pdf

You know, every time I see these proposed routes for the streetcar I just get more discouraged and depressed. It has gotten to the point that I try not to think about it.

They should have produced a comprehensive plan first and then broke that up into phases. I assume at some point in the future the line meandering through the Medical Complex is going to be extended to the Capitol - so why make it meander through the Medical Complex? Just run it down Lincoln and encourage the people at the health center to do all their future expansion closer to Lincoln.

On a plus note - I see they abandoned the couplet idea on the HSC line - now they just need to do that on the other line.

24. Default Re: Native Roots to Deep Deuce!

Guys, Jeff Bezdek and Mark Gibson have some good comments on this question on my Deep Deuce blog post today at www.okccentral.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Jeff?
    Sorry. Yes. I took a break from blogging yesterday and missed the streetcar questions. lol The discussion about this went to Steve's forum.

On the grocery store note, I had heard from reliable sources that Forward Foods was courted too and was considering a move downtown due to Whole Foods.

Not saying Native Roots isn't a good choice. It may be a better choice due to the diversity. I just wonder if their still going to move somewhere.

Thread Information