Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wheeze the Juice (formerly Native Roots)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Native Roots

Regardless, this part...

"this is the grocery you've been asking for. Use it, or lose it. "

...is spot on. If we do not use this store we will lose it. And if we lose it, we will have an even harder time convincing a larger grocery store to make the move downtown. We will for years hear "but Uptown couldn't even make it work".

^

Sorry, but I don't agree.

First of all, if this fails (and it's been highly subsidized by the landlord) then doesn't that tell you that almost no one shopped there anyway? So, what exactly will we be losing? This is like the common practice of bemoaning a place closing then admitting you haven't been in years.

I'd hate to see this place go but the market has to speak.

And for all we know, a better located, easier access, larger grocery could not only open downtown but that process might actually be accelerated if this one goes out.

It's really time OKC moves out of this small town mentality. All the people involved here seem to be very nice with great intentions, but when a journalist openly roots for a business they are in effect rooting against their direct competition -- present and future -- and that's completely inappropriate.

Blog Entries

Don't get me wrong, _I_ think a better located, easier to access store will succeed (e.g. in Midtown where it will pull HH/MP residents for sure). But I'm saying if this one fails, regardless of the reasons, it's what will be pointed to as to why we can't do it bigger/better.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Don't get me wrong, _I_ think a better located, easier to access store will succeed (e.g. in Midtown where it will pull HH/MP residents for sure). But I'm saying if this one fails, regardless of the reasons, it's what will be pointed to as to why we can't do it bigger/better.
    I'm sure anyone who would consider doing an urban grocery would understand why this one didn't succeed (if that proves to be the case) and probably learn from it.

In any event, it is absolutely not the job of a journalist to pick winners and losers regardless of your personal feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Sorry, but I don't agree.

First of all, if this fails (and it's been highly subsidized by the landlord) then doesn't that tell you that almost no one shopped there anyway? So, what exactly will we be losing? This is like the common practice of bemoaning a place closing then admitting you haven't been in years.

I'd hate to see this place go but the market has to speak.

And for all we know, a better located, easier access, larger grocery could not only open downtown but that process might actually be accelerated if this one goes out.

It's really time OKC moves out of this small town mentality. All the people involved here seem to be very nice with great intentions, but when a journalist openly roots for a business they are in effect rooting against their direct competition -- present and future -- and that's completely inappropriate.

This is what I have been thinking for a long time now, NR has been like a bandage over a bullet hole. Maybe it is preventing a larger picture solution.

However, I will admit that over the last 3 months I have been using NR almost weekly since they got normal products. They don't fulfill my entire shopping needs like a Walmart or Target would, but for convenience type items, I now spend money there that would have gone to my full store trips.

I really, really hope they make it but a business succeeds or fails on its own merits and that absolutely does not mean others can't succeed with a competing concept and a different model and approach.

They are closing in the next couple of weeks per the Oklahoman:

https://oklahoman.com/article/565606...e-set-to-close

Wonder if the recent weirdness around the Binkowskis contributed? Susan has Lyme disease, they've moved out of state, the Uptown-to-be on NE 36th/Kelley was found to need major work and major permits, none of which are happening...

Behind a paywall, but this is shocking to me. Does it mention anything about a replacement in the same spot?

Maybe its just me but there appears to be an increase in failed restaurants and other unique type retail ( beyond the normal closures due to any number of reasons) in OKC. Not sure, but is this reflective of a larger existing economic problem? Just doesn't seem the city can accommodate (especially in the DT Core) the number of food options

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Maybe its just me but there appears to be an increase in failed restaurants and other unique type retail ( beyond the normal closures due to any number of reasons) in OKC. Not sure, but is this reflective of a larger existing economic problem? Just doesn't seem the city can accommodate (especially in the DT Core) the number of food options
    In economics I believe this is called competition. Supply and demand are also pertinent.

Seriously though, a tremendous number of high quality restaurants and entertainment options opened in the last 10-15 years where there was certainly a void in the market. Eventually, that demand has been filled and only some are thriving. What has happened recently is pretty good for OKC: decent options are folding because of competition. It's a good problem.

It's disappointing to see this concept close because it did not really have much competition in the core. However, it's always important to realize that not all businesses close just because of economic failure.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    I know there are likely multiple reasons why businesses close. But my simple answer is that our city has grown so much thus as a percentage its not out of the norm.

Another way to look at it. How many have opened on the past 1 year compared to how many opened 5 and 10 years ago. Since more opened then its normal for more to close. I would think closures (within a range) are a close percent to historical.

Look at traffic we have so much more traffic than 5 and 10 years ago. And look at wrecks we have so many more. But I would guess the wreck rate per miles travelled or cars on road is similar to 5 and 10 years ago.

The more food places opened means more will close all other things being equal.

I have no stats to back this up its an educated guess.

The surrounding apartments all have high occupancy rates so I would assume the only grocery store in the area would thrive. That really is too bad.

The problem is it isn't like an ordinary grocery store with selection. They have the same basic stuff, but at very high prices. The only stuff that didn't seem to be inflated was the alcohol (may be price restricted by the vendors?).

I live in DD and used Native Roots basically for anytime I needed a specific item (chips, alcohol, a baking ingredient, mixers, etc.) But when it comes to needing a full cart of groceries, the Homeland on Classen or the Walmart on 23rd are the go-to options.

HangryHippo Guest

Is it possible Native Roots would have performed better in Midtown?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Is it possible Native Roots would have performed better in Midtown?
    i was always curious why they left Norman. everytime i went in there (which was at least once a week and sometimes more) there was always 3-4 other people there shopping. i never went in was the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    The problem is it isn't like an ordinary grocery store with selection. They have the same basic stuff, but at very high prices. The only stuff that didn't seem to be inflated was the alcohol (may be price restricted by the vendors?).

I live in DD and used Native Roots basically for anytime I needed a specific item (chips, alcohol, a baking ingredient, mixers, etc.) But when it comes to needing a full cart of groceries, the Homeland on Classen or the Walmart on 23rd are the go-to options.
    Because people living downtown are still frequently in their cars (to/from work, tons of other reasons) so it's just as easy if not easier to stop at a supermarket than to walk to the small corner store which isn't going to have everything you need anyway.

And the percentage of people living downtown within easy walking distance of this spot is small.

Really hate to see them go, though.

Because people living downtown are still frequently in their cars (to/from work, tons of other reasons) so it's just as easy if not easier to stop at a supermarket than to walk to the small corner store which isn't going to have everything you need anyway.

And the percentage of people living downtown within easy walking distance of this spot is small.
    This is key. Every new apartment development downtown has included enough parking for at least one car per unit, IIRC... I'd bet 80-90% of these renters have and use cars and go to stores with greater variety and lower prices. And that's not even taking grocery delivery into account.

I hate it, too. Like I said it was used as a convenience store for me. Grabbing some beer or mixers was a breeze. I think if they made this spot an actual quick stop store (alcohol, tobacco, maybe a Subway in the deli spot) They could make it work money wise.

This place reminded me of Forward Foods when they were on Western Ave just south of the I-44 ramps. I loved their selection but there wasn't a ton of foot traffic at the time. I wish they were still around here in the city.

A lot of stuff closing lately but I think that's just been because there's been so much opening in the last 5 years. Eventually, some of those places just aren't going to make it. Sad to see this one go though.

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    A lot of stuff closing lately but I think that's just been because there's been so much opening in the last 5 years. Eventually, some of those places just aren't going to make it. Sad to see this one go though.
    Exactly right.

When you open hundreds of places in just a few years, some will close.

And at the same time, there are still scores of new places opening all the time.

In fact, the Market at Commonplace will open very soon in The Edge.

In fact, the Market at Commonplace will open very soon in The Edge.
    And the fact that part of it is crowd-funded means more people have a desire to tell their friends about it and constantly try to use it themselves so they don't lose their investment...

Native Roots has been permanently closed for a while, and last night I noticed a dumpster.

Not sure what is coming next.

Native Roots has been permanently closed for a while, and last night I noticed a dumpster.

Not sure what is coming next.

that's really sad. i used to go to them once a week when they were in norman, and hated it when they left, and still found a way to make it up there about once a month for stuff.

Thread Information